View Poll Results: Do you think that the Category 2 Parr WMA is over-pressured during duck season?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 33.33%
  • No

40 66.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Parr WMA Poll

The intent of this poll is to determine from those who already hunt within the bounds of Parr WMA whether change to the status quo would be welcome, and what level of change would be acceptable. DNR would be looking to this segment of the hunting populace for this input. It is assumed that ANY changes would be done on a TRIAL basis (2 - 3 years?)
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Interesting respnses so far. Most agree it's over pressured.

We can't view results without voting......and I have never hunted there.

Keep that in mind when developing poll threads.

That sucks.

This is the #'s so far CD.

Poll Results: Parr WMA Poll (16 votes.)
    Do you think that the Category 2 Parr WMA is over-pressured during duck season?
    Choose 1
    Yes 81% (13)
    No 19% (3)

Would you welcome any change to the way that the Parr WMA is operated currently?
    Choose 1
    Yes 75% (12)
    No 25% (4)

How many days a week should waterfowl hunting should be allowed on Parr?
    Choose 1
    1 day per week 31% (5)
    2 days per week 44% (7)
    7 days per week (no limit of days) 25% (4)

What manner of cut-off times should be allowed on Parr?
    Choose 1
    None - Shoot during all legal hours 19% (3)
    Cut off at noon (Morning hunting only) 56% (9)
    Cut off at 11:00 AM (Morning hunting only) 25% (4)

What type of shell limits should be in place on Parr?
    Choose 1
    None 25% (4)
    25 shells per hunter 56% (9)
    15 shells per hunter 19% (3)
    80-20 Genaration

Thanks DM

Good questions that address all the major points. IMO:
    noon cut-off (hunters off water by 1:00)
    2 days per week
    25 shells

it won't help it would be a circus on those two days of the week. not to mention all the people scouting the rest of the week jumping birds.

honestly could you imagine tryin to find a spot on those to days of the week. people would camp out there.

all it will do is make matters worse and you will have less oppurtunities to hunt there!

i am completely against it.

Lets hear your ideas then???

Gander, have you talked to Bob Harkins about change up there? What say he?

i talked with Bob, he is a family friend. he said that it was good in theory that to hunt it only two days a week, but that so many people would be hunting on those days that it would make matters worse. he said when the ducks see the lights comin in the dark they are gonna head for the refuge. people don't give them enough credit they are smart.

my plan is hope that some people quit hunting. i was more or less alone hunting out there after new years.

Had a great hunt up there one Sunday many years ago. Ducks everywhere and not another boat on the lake. Damn fine public water hunt.

my plan is hope that some people quit hunting. i was more or less alone hunting out there after new years.

And this makes you think it would be so crowded you couldn't find a spot?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

I don't see how hunting it fewer days could hurt. That is just insane to me. The only way it will ever have a chance to get better is for us to sacrifice. Something has to be done. The easiest way to get things turned around is by limiting hunting times and shell restrictions. Sure it will cut down on my opportunities to hunt, but we can't be selfish and leave it like it is and expect it to improve on its own.
    I'm just proud to be here.

before new years there were times when there was 50-60 boats on the river. once the weather warmed up and the ducks that were here weren't flying much people quit hunting which was right around new years.
    if people can only hunt two days a week they durn sure aren't gonna mis it thus creating a crowded situation

It's already crowded 6 days a week. How is cutting back to 2 crowded days a week going to hurt?
    I'm just proud to be here.

I have the responses from Bob, however, I'm not at liberty to disclose them on this site. But based on his response Swamp Rat created this poll.

The way I see it you are either part of the problem or part of the solution. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expect a different result. Doing nothing will solve nothing. This philosophy seems to be rampant at DNR. BRR, do you work for DNR? Reducing the pressure can't be a bad thing. I truly believe reducing the pressure will improve the quality of any Waterfowl Management area. It seems to work on the draw hunt WMA’s. I say we try restricting the pressure for a few years and if it doesn't work, then let's go back to a free for all as it is today.

If anyone else has some other ideas let’s hear them.

JABIII, I’m not sure when you hunted Parr on Sunday, but I don’t believe we have ever been allowed to hunt Parr on Sunday’s. Unless you are just joking, that would have been a violation of the rules.

Gander, it was 21 years ago and as we later found out, it was definately in violation of the rules. We didn't even know it was a WMA at the time. [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img] I guess we should have known when we didn't see Dick Lucas or Moon either one that something was wrong...

But it proves the point that easing up the pressure makes for better hunting... I have since laughed about that story with Bob a few times.

I hope that they will do SOMETHING to ease pressure up there. The hunting was purty good back then.

IMHO, the only way to guarantee wintering a good # of birds on Parr is to turn it completely into a draw hunt WMA. It probably won't happen though...

i do not work for DNR! gander i know why you wont post what Bob said because he also knows that limiting the number of days to hunt will only make things worse.

By the way have yall heard of a little place called Enoree refuge. it is only open one day a week and hunters are limited to 25shells.
    it is a circus. i have heard it called a dove shoot in waders. there were as many as 50-60 people tryin to hunt it each saturday. result= skybusting.

if we did limit it to two days a week and that didn't work then people would say lets get rid of the refuge, and i have heard that said, then there would be no ducks around there at all.

I understand JABIII. I remember Dick Lucas. He hunted with a bunch of cork decoys, about 120 to be exact. Him and his lab ran through my spread chasing a crippled ringer one morning.

BRR, you are wrong about Bob’s response. I’ll leave it at. Virtually every successful Waterfowl Management area across this country limits the number of days or the number of hours you can hunt (both in most cases). It’s the way they provide quality draw hunts as well. Private impoundments do the same. Would you prefer we limit the number of hunters on the two days it’s open?

Again, lets hear your plan. I’m all ears