Thread: full day

Default full day

Camped out Friday night to get the spot that I have been watching about a dozen grey ducks use for the past 3 days.. First light comes along with a few birds that were quickly dispatched.. .. Then waiting.. Well they have been showing up around 7:30 fellas... 8am comes and goes, and by 9am we had had enough.. Don't know where they* went.. Maybe pushed south with the weather.. Maybe got short stopped before the reached us.. Who knows,, it's hunting..

Headed to the normal breakfast spot and ran into a buddy that had his teenage son and friend in tow.. Hey guys,, "will yall give me a hand pushing a few blocks to try run a deer to these boys".. Figured why not chase goats for a few hours, then get some duck scouting in.. Well we pushed 4 blocks and finally ran a little 6 out for one of the boys to bust..

His smile was epic, which made the trip.. I also found a bonus rack while walking the woods.

Our host graciously bought lunch for us, and had the boys run into town to pick it up.. As we were hanging out by the trucks in a huge p-nut feild talking and laughing over the kids excitement, as well as some of their missed opportunities.... My buddy took a look over at the power lines,,, good lord at the doves.... Long story short... They died too..

Yesterday was one of the most enjoyable days afield I have had in a long time. Didn't kill 20 mallets, or even shoot a goat for that matter... I did however have a scatter gun in my hand from sunrise to sunset.. Got to watch some youngins have a blast... Ate well, and told lies... Have to say,, It was a damn fine opening day ...
    Last edited by CYPRESNEAK; 11-20-2011 at 01:21 PM.

That's a fantastic day, that's hard to beat.

Yes sir a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by jon428 View Post
    Yes sir a good day.
    yep, but...camping out for a dozen gadwall. thats some serious shit there. wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Good work bud!
    Let's Fish www.carolinaaeromarine.com Or dip something www.tntcustomcamo.com

*yes, Capt Toms yankee ass did show me a new trick in my own backyard*-- CYPRESNEAK

Excellent day, hard to beat that!

sounds like a great day
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    yep, but...camping out for a dozen gadwall. thats some serious shit there. wow.
    Well,, there was a little more to that.. I lost my uncle about 3 months ago. He was of the old guard, and also the man that that taught me how to hunt ducks. The gadwall were using one of his favorite holes, as well as the spot I killed my first duck at 8 years old.

I'm not totally against spending the night but there's no use to do it. You hold a spot most of the night and 30 min before shooting time some clown comes in and sit 100 yards from you. At that point it's useless. I love SC public water.....

Ive seen a lot older fellas quit duck hunting when I thought they were die hard...I'm starting understand. Don't know that I'll ever quit but I need to be more selective about the days I go. No more openers and very little weekends. Week days can still be enjoyable.

Thats getting it done.
    I'm like a duck: calm above the water, and paddling like hell underneath....

Thanks fellas...

Quote Originally Posted by jon428 View Post
    I'm not totally against spending the night but there's no use to do it......
    this was more out of tradition.. i had my little cousin with me, and it's what the old timers always used to do for us. a rolling fire, dove kabobs, and good people outweigh the rubberhead factor for me.

nice work
    Bone....

Can't beat that at all

We had some doves scare the hell out of us yesterday in the blind. Had no idea they were there then all of a sudden back behind the take off.

Great day for sure; congrats to you!

Any day outdoors beats a day on the couch. Good job!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.