Thread: "Best" Non-Smartphone on Verizon?

Default "Best" Non-Smartphone on Verizon?

I'm currently stuck with Verizon for the next 9 months or so due to accepting a promotional deal last summer.

My LG Dare is dying in that I lose phone voice connection after a few minutes when the battery heats up (I guess that's the cause).

I do NOT care to pay for and have to manage my use of a Smart phone right now as I'm trying to reduce expenses, not increase them, and I already spend too much time online.

Anyone know a good non-Smart phone on the Verizon network (for now)? I browsed through their online info and I see nothing as nice or good as the LG Dare has been.

Wants - Good voice quality; strong signal hold; prefer at least a 3.0 MB camera with video; qwerty keyboard, which could be a 'virtual' one vs hard button; relatively 'tough'. The Casio 'Commando' looks great, but it's a smart phone. The Cosmos Tough has mediocre ratings, with the Octane only slightly better.

Any other ideas or feedback?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I've got the Samsung Intensity right now and have had it for 2 years. It's been pretty tough and meets all of your requiremnts sans the video feature. It hold a charge for about 5 or 6 days with me during normal usage. I've dropped it several times, from several heights and just put it back together and turn it on. I've been surprisingly impressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

I may be mistaken, but you can get a smartphone and not subscribe to the data plan. This way it would work as a normal phone. True, it would have features you would not use, but if you decided to upgrade in the next year you would just have to add that service.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Quote Originally Posted by duckduckdog View Post
    I've got the Samsung Intensity right now and have had it for 2 years. It's been pretty tough and meets all of your requiremnts sans the video feature. It hold a charge for about 5 or 6 days with me during normal usage. I've dropped it several times, from several heights and just put it back together and turn it on. I've been surprisingly impressed.
    This. Had one before I got my Iphone and really liked it. Would still have it, but dropped it in the toilet due to over service. Mine wouldn't hold a charge that long, but it would be fine for a least a day and a half.

Quote Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
    I may be mistaken, but you can get a smartphone and not subscribe to the data plan. This way it would work as a normal phone. True, it would have features you would not use, but if you decided to upgrade in the next year you would just have to add that service.
    You are mistaken.
    "Never Trust a Skinny Chef."

Samsung Convoy 2. Guy at work just got one, great little phone. I have a regular Convoy holds charge for 5 days or so but I don't have many calls.

I have the original Convoy. It's a great phone but I have no idea on the megapixels. The battery life is excellent also.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Quote Originally Posted by skrimp View Post
    I have the original Convoy. It's a great phone but I have no idea on the megapixels. The battery life is excellent also.
    You know how to use a phone? Your chirren had them attached at birth. Bwahahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHeadRocker View Post
    You know how to use a phone? Your chirren had them attached at birth. Bwahahahahahaha
    As a matter of fact, I have just ordered my first smart phone! If you don't have anything going on for the next few days, how about show how to turn the damned thing on?
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Quote Originally Posted by skrimp View Post
    The Convoy is a 2 megapixel. The Convoy 2 is a 3.2 megapixel plus it has a led flashlight on the front.

motorola barrage that works good.

Quote Originally Posted by millero View Post
    motorola barrage that works good.
    X2 I've had one about 6 months. Good battery life (a day or two between charges sometimes more.) Waterproof, signal and sound good, camera and video ok (it's a phone, not a camera) Happy with mine.

casio brigade works for me

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Get the Casio Rock. It is tough like the Commando but a plain old phone.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    I browsed through their online info and I see nothing as nice or good as the LG Dare has been.

My wife has a LG Dare. When my smartphone crashed I found them on the internet and bought one for $64.00 with two batteries.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/LG-Silver-Phone-Verizon-Wireless/dp/B001LYRBCO[/ame]

Might as well go back to a bag phone!
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    Might as well go back to a bag phone!
    Nah... when I stick one in the fanny pack it makes my ass look big.

Some great suggestions. I'll go take another look through them all... including thinking about buying another Dare. For some odd reason my mind hadn't processed that thought earlier...

Thanks!
    ~ George Washington

I no longer have verizon, but i did have the rock (or boulder? not sure which one) and that thing was a damn tank. I put that phone through hell and never took a shit on me. It would hold a charge for 2 or 3 days and that was with heavy use. And the spare battery it came with always came in handy.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." -Robert E. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    casio brigade works for me
    Have you not had any problems with the reported software upgrade? Supposedly it causes the phone to shut off after sending text messages or something. It's the only thing keeping me from getting one unless I can verify that the problem is solved by Casio.

Added.... it turns out that the Brigade has been pulled from the market due to 'unsolvable' software problems. That's all I've been told by Verizon.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 12-02-2011 at 11:55 AM.
    ~ George Washington

convoy -- 4 days between charges with alot of use