Thread: $4.3 Million Photograph

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default $4.3 Million Photograph

This photo titled 'Rhein II' just sold for $4.3 million. It was taken in 1999 by a guy named Andreas Gursky. This is proof that some people have more money than sense. But if that's what the buyer wanted to spend his money on, it's his right to do so. ~ Mergie

Andreas Gursky's Rhein II sets photo record

Rhein II is one of an edition of six works

An image of the Rhine by German artist Andreas Gursky has fetched $4.3m (£2.7m) at Christie's New York, setting an auction record for a photograph.

Glass-mounted panoramic colour print Rhein II, created in 1999, is one of an edition of six works.

Others hang at New York's Museum of Modern Art and London's Tate Modern.

It beat the previous record of $3.9m (£2.5m) achieved by an untitled 1981 colour print by Cindy *******, who is the subject of all her own works.
    Continue reading the main story

The viewer is not invited to consider a specific place along the river but rather an almost 'platonic' ideal of the body of water as it navigates the landscape”
    Christie's
    Gursky's print had a pre-sale estimate of $2.5m-$3.5m (£1.6m-£2.2m).

Rhein II is the largest of the six photographs, which are produced in various sizes.

As well as in New York and London, other photographs in the edition are housed in Munich's Pinakothek der Moderne and Glenstone art museum in the US.

Gursky has spoken of "a particular place with a view over the Rhine which has somehow always fascinated me, but it didn't suffice for a picture as it basically constituted only part of a picture".

He said he "carried this idea for a picture around with me for a year-and-a-half".

"In the end I decided to digitalise the pictures and leave out the elements that bothered me," he added.

Christie's said the viewer was "not invited to consider a specific place along the river, but rather an almost 'platonic' ideal of the body of water as it navigates the landscape".
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I could have saved the buyer a lot of money. I would have personally flown to Germany, taken several photos of the Rhein, paid to have them developed, then hand delivered them to the buyer. All for a mere $1.7 million.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Hell there ain't even a sea monster or nothing in it.

I wouldn't have paid $6 at a yard sale for it.

Somebody needs to photoshop some rednecks in a bass boat, a pontoon with fat old men or something in that thing to make is something more than boring.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

That's better.

I just drove the price up and backed out at 4.2M....
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

I was going to throw my bid in at $4.7 but the daggum dial-up cut out on me
    Richard

That's a $0.29 photograph right there.

okay - seriously, am I missing something? THAT is the photo that brought 4.3M? And it took him a 1.5 years to decide to take it? And that's what he got? And then he had to photoshop out the stuff he didn't like? And seriously, this is what he got?

Think I need to book a flight to the Rhein.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    That's a $0.29 photograph right there.
    That's shipped.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

.29 cents for that is a waste of .27 cents. That's my 2 cents. .

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewild View Post
    .29 cents for that is a waste of .27 cents. That's my 2 cents. .

I got a whole bunch of pictures of the pee dee like that. (photoshop free!) I'll start taking bids now.
    \"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.\" ~John Wayne