Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Meth Wars In Deer Country

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Meth Wars in Deer Country

As its cost in dollars and lives mounts, the fight against methamphetamine now invloves sportsmen to a degree no one predicted a handful of years ago. Across the rural countryside, meth labs have invaded the lands where we fish and hunt.

May 2006

One December evening in 2004, Wildlife Officer Amy Snyder heard shots after legal shooting hours in a popular duck-hunting area in Madison County, Tenn. She put on hip boots and set out into the marsh. But when she arrived at the blind where she thought the shooting had occurred, she found it unoccupied.

Then Officer Snyder noticed a chemical odor in the air. She shined her light around and in the grass saw a large glass mason jar filled with what looked like corn hominy. She kicked over the jar, saw rubber hoses coming out of the top and panicked.

“It was a meth lab, actively cooking,” Snyder recalls. “What I’d done was extremely dangerous. The stuff could have exploded, not to mention what might have happened if I’d surprised the cookers at work.”

Snyder had reason to be unnerved. The February before in Greene County, Ind., Conservation Officer Mike Gregg got a report of suspicious activity deep inside the Hillenbrand Fish and Wildlife Area. Gregg went in alone to investigate on a cold winter day and caught the unmistakable acrid tang of anhydrous ammonia, a liquid fertilizer and key component in the manufacture of methamphetamine. He got closer and, to his surprise, noticed a man trying to hide beneath the root ball of a fallen tree.

“He took off and I chased him through the snow,” Gregg says. “When I caught up to him, he pulled a 9mm pistol on me. I had to shoot him in the leg to subdue him. He was typical of the methers we see: paranoid, armed and violent.”

The prior March, Alabama conservation officer Jimmy Hutto learned just how paranoid, armed and violent meth cookers can be. While arresting a man for fishing without a license, he found meth and soon was involved in serving a search warrant on the suspected cooker. But the man’s property was wired to detect intruders. And when Hutto broke down the door to the lab, the cooker was waiting and shot the conservation officer in the abdomen. Hutto died two weeks later.

A Rural Scourge
    These incidents are not isolated. Law enforcement and conservation officials we contacted across the country describe a wave of methamphetamine manufacturing activity that has crashed across the rural countryside in the last five years, causing a dramatic change in the way game wardens operate and in the way hunters, anglers and other recreationists should conduct themselves afield.

“The landscape is changing,” says Keith Aller, deputy director of law enforcement for the U.S. Bureau of Land Management. “Twenty years ago meth was an outlaw biker thing, an urban thing. But in the past five years we’ve seen cookers take their labs to the forests and rural areas to avoid detection and to dump the toxic by-products of their work. We’ve also seen meth addicts exploiting public lands to pay for their habits. I don’t want to sound alarmist, but people need to understand what we’re up against these days and what they might encounter when they head outdoors.”

Story Continued....
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mergie Master:
    [QB]

. “When I caught up to him, he pulled a 9mm pistol on me. I had to shoot him in the leg to subdue him."

Smart man.

I read that and didn't quite understand. If you have to shoot someone - why wing them? kill-em.

Kind-of like the deputy here in Cola that shot the hood of car yesterday after the thug pulled a loded 9mm on him.

I teach my children do not point your weapon at anything that you don't intend to kill. Am I politically incorrect in this thinking?
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

Originally posted by justpracticin:
    I teach my children do not point your weapon at anything that you don't intend to kill. Am I politically incorrect in this thinking?
    <font size="-1" face="verdana,arial,helv">Actually in some States, I think Arizona is one, it's a crime to wing someone intentionally in a self defense shooting. The line of reasoning being that if you shoot just to wing you didn't feel like your life was in danger in the first place.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

If I feel like my life's in danger, I'm shootin to kill that bastard......If you just shoot him in the arm, he might just shoot you back

My father always told me " If you pull a gun on someone, you better kill them." Luckily for me I have never been in that situation.
    31-28, 12-0, 3-2, 4-2!!!!!!!!!

Cut the guy some slack. He missed, and now he's making the best of it.

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

Haven't been there yet, but if put in that situation plan to shoot until gun goes click.
    You can grow up to be just like me....

A retired state trooper told us once if it gets to the point that you have to shoot someone, shoot to kill. Then there's only one side to the story and the judicial system of today can't get you on a technicality.

Originally posted by GMAC:
    Cut the guy some slack. He missed, and now he's making the best of it.
    <font size="-1" face="verdana,arial,helv">[img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

The war on drugs is lost, comrades. Don't believe the Big Lie.LEgaLizE iT!

Study finds no marijuana-lung cancer link

Wednesday, May 24, 2006; Posted: 2:11 p.m. EDT (18:11 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California -- Marijuana smoking does not increase a person's risk of developing lung cancer, according to the findings of a new study at the University of California Los Angeles that surprised even the researchers.

They had expected to find that a history of heavy marijuana use, like cigarette smoking, would increase the risk of cancer.

Instead, the study, which compared the lifestyles of 611 Los Angeles County lung cancer patients and 601 patients with head and neck cancers with those of 1,040 people without cancer, found no elevated cancer risk for even the heaviest pot smokers. It did find a 20-fold increased risk of lung cancer in people who smoked two or more packs of cigarettes a day.

The study results were presented in San Diego Tuesday at a meeting of the American Thoracic Society.

The study was confined to people under age 60 since baby boomers were the most likely age group to have long-term exposure to marijuana, said Dr. Donald Tashkin, senior researcher and professor at the UCLA School of Medicine.

The results should not be taken as a blank check to smoke pot, which has been associated with problems including cognitive impairment and chronic bronchitis, said Dr. John Hansen-Flaschen, chief of pulmonary and critical care at the University of Pennsylvania Health System in Philadelphia. He was not involved in the study.

Previous studies showed marijuana tar contained about 50 percent more of the chemicals linked to lung cancer, compared with tobacco tar, Tashkin said. In addition, smoking a marijuana joint deposits four times more tar in the lungs than smoking an equivalent amount of tobacco.

"Marijuana is packed more loosely than tobacco, so there's less filtration through the rod of the cigarette, so more particles will be inhaled," Tashkin said in a statement. "And marijuana smokers typically smoke differently than tobacco smokers -- they hold their breath about four times longer, allowing more time for extra fine particles to deposit in the lung."

He theorized that tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, a chemical in marijuana smoke that produces its psychotropic effect, may encourage aging, damaged cells to die off before they become cancerous.

Hansen-Flaschen also cautioned a cancer-marijuana link could emerge as baby boomers age and there may be smaller population groups, based on genetics or other factors, still at risk for marijuana-related cancers.
    \"Nowadays you can\'t be loud enough!\"<br /> <br />John Bonham

Drugs are bad

[img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Jimmyfly:
    Drugs are bad
    <font size="-1" face="verdana,arial,helv">Remember that drugs don't kill people, people kill people.

Originally posted by IB AToken:
    Remember that drugs don't kill people, people kill people.
    <font size="-1" face="verdana,arial,helv">People on drugs kill people.

In SC, Law Enforcement officers are taught to shoot at "center of mass". If all you see is his leg, then shoot at the biggest part you can see.
    In a shoot, don't shoot situation even the best of the best tend to miss and of course claim to hit 'em where he was aiming. From personal experience, it all goes back to training. I've been shot at twice and both times my instnct was to look for cover and find the source. Luckily both times I didn't have to shoot. The first time he was tackled by another officer and dealt with accordingly on the ground and the second time the the sumbeech was at a distance in the dark and we could not return fire (we got him later). I've also had several times where I had to make the decision about an armed subject that was not pointing it at me yet. Training kicks in again and you concentrate on the hands and center of mass, then you hope like hell he gives up.
    \"If they don\'t hatch, they don\'t fly south\"

On the other note, I've never met a crack head that didn't smoke weed first. Not saying all stoners will smoke crack, but could be a start for some.
    \"If they don\'t hatch, they don\'t fly south\"

Originally posted by DuvnDux:
    On the other note, I've never met a crack head that didn't smoke weed first. Not saying all stoners will smoke crack, but could be a start for some.
    <font size="-1" face="verdana,arial,helv">I never met one that didn't drink a beer first either.

I never knew a soul killed by a stoned driver. How many thousand died last year to beer and liquor? 17,000 according to the Transportation Department. How many died because a driver smoked a bowl? 0

Originally posted by IB Tokin:
    I never met one that didn't drink a beer first either.

I never knew a soul killed by a stoned driver. How many thousand died last year to beer and liquor? 17,000 according to the Transportation Department. How many died because a driver smoked a bowl? 0
    <font size="-1" face="verdana,arial,helv">dude give it a rest you are harshing the buzz with your tired rhetoric.
    Just trying to keep it rural

I'm with you IB, legalize it...all of it!