Thread: Broad River WMA

Default Broad River WMA

Can someone please tell me about this hunt. I have hunted over the years at other draw hunts and have hunted the area o the Broad River WMA pretty extensively. Any advice, I.E. moving from blind, etc. Thanks in advance. Hunt is on December 10.

I hunted it several years ago. We had a great day but it was 15 degrees and everything was iced up. As long as we kept the ice cleared we had birds. We were instructed that it wouldn't be a bad idea to start in the blind at first light and then moved to the birds as saw fit. We did and we ended up 1 bird shy of two limits: ringers, spoonies, and mallards. Mallards wanted to use the timber in our impoundment and the ringers wanted our cleared hole.

And FWIW the year we hunted was Bob Harkins' last year and what made the whole trip was the homemade cinnamon buns and coffee before the hunt. Real glad I got to experience that.

Contact Duckman #1 he may be able to help you.
    The only man to ever get all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.

Tell in ya I am Old. Put in the first year it was offered bout 32 years ago. John Frampton was runnin the deal ifn that tell's you youngtser's anything. Killed the heck out GW teal and we would go back and set up on the Broad across from the deal and try to pull the big ducks. NOT. They got birds.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I've hunted there 3 times now. For big ducks the flats can't be beat, but it requires some work and sweat. The other areas get a good mix of ducks. I've killed mallards, black ducks, teal, wigeon, wood ducks, gadwall, ringers and spoonies. The blinds aren't bad. Just look for better areas as the morning wears on. At first light, the birds will fly out so its pass shooting. Hang in there as the birds will pile back in starting about 10:00 am. Enjoy the cinamon rolls.

me,my dad, and duckman #1 hunted it when i was 13 years old. i killed my first green head ever and it was banded. ill never forget that hunt. havent hunted there since but dm1 has hunted it a good bit he should be along shortly to give you some advice

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Been twice. Hunted a river blind the first time and hunted the corn the next time. I'd say it all depends on when you hunt as to what you do. If it's been hunted some already it's probably best not to invest too much time and work in the blind set-up.

In other words, don't put too many decoys out around the blind. That way you won't waste as much time pulling them and resetting somewhere else if you need to move.

But like someone said I'd start at the blind, then move as needed. Same as any of the other draw hunts.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Anyone hunt here yesterday? If so how was it?
    Last edited by coot nasty; 01-13-2019 at 02:29 PM.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

I saw a pic from a friend of a friend that had a couple cans, ringos and a wood duck. His comment was it is ringo habitat now.
    cut\'em