Thread: Looking at getting a hightide bug buster

Default Looking at getting a hightide bug buster

I'm moving back to charleston in a month after 4 years in AK looking for a boat. I like the looks of the bug buster. already have a few aluminum boats to hunt outta. My main purpose for it would be hunting the ACE, delta, and maybe moultrie every now and then. I normally hunt myself and the dog or one other guy max. more then that and we have a 1860 alum to use
    I understand they are small with little room. I like that they are fast.
    what i need to know is how do they handle waves? not talking about going out to the ocean but decent size bays and lakes. I also understand that a mud puddle can swamp any boat if the weather goes south. Just looking for a general idea on how they handle 1'-2' waves and whats the max they can handle?
    I have read up on the transom swamping issue but hell my flats boat does that and with a little mod work a bildge pump i think i can deal with it. anyone have any input on this?
    Can you hunt 2 guys and a dog from this boat? I know it would be cramped but is it even possible?
    How much do they draft unloaded?
    Tried google and searched this sight but didn't find the answers to these questions.
    Thanks
    Griffin

i'd go with a super V with about a 60 or so on it. run high 40's. I've heard people say they will wet you, but the one i had was a very dry ride. Only problem is if you catch a wave wrong in will sort of dart to one side or the other. If i hunted the coast, it would be my boat of choice. Only reason i got rid of mine was that i was worried about stumps here on santee. Kinda miss it sometimes, especially for the ride.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Not being a asshole but pay the $24.00 bucks and look in the trading post. Pretty good deals in there.
    If god is your copilot, switch seats.

Quote Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
    Left over oysters???? Never heard of such a thing.

2500HD
    1436 Wareagle 25 Mercury

where did that come from?
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

Default wow

Quote Originally Posted by 295PRO View Post
    Not being a asshole but pay the $24.00 bucks and look in the trading post. Pretty good deals in there.
    wow dude, i'm asking ABOUT the boat, not where to find one I know where a few of them are. I want to know what duckhunters think about them.
    Phone,
    thanks, I like the super V but I worry its bigger then i want. I have a 15' jon, a 18' jon and a 18' flats boat lol the bug buster seems to fit a hole I dont have filled. How is your fast craft on open water? you ever hunt 2 guys outta it?
    Thanks

Didnt read complete post. At work and had to get some work done. I came back and made post thinking that you were looking for a boat. My bad!
    If god is your copilot, switch seats.

Quote Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
    Left over oysters???? Never heard of such a thing.

2500HD
    1436 Wareagle 25 Mercury

i had a fastcraft with a 25. They are THIN but will haul ass. If you got a bug buster and cut the livewell out, you would probably have enough room. To me, the 15 super v doesn't seem much bigger on the outside, its kinda how the sides are doone on the bug buster that limits the room. Kinda hard for me to explain. the super v is the more all around boat. Has a little more room for storage and in the back bench. Anfd has the small deck to stand on. Mine didn't have a live well and you could have plenty of room for a dog and another person. Get a tall transom and you will be golden. I honestly don't think there is very much weight difference between a bug buster and a super v 15.

here is my old one, kinda miss it

ok that would work as well. i'll add that one to my list to keep an eye out for. On your fastcraft, did you ever have it out in waves and if so how did it work? im trying to get a feel for how the bug buster would do in waves. 9-10 times its gonna be just me and the dog or we will take the 18'er.
    do they offer bug busters in tall transom? wish there was more info on the web about these things. maybe I'm way off but i'd like a small console and a wheel with one swivle seat on a bug buster in the very back and nothing else.
    Thanks for the help. its not easy figuring this out from Alaska stairing at snow and hard water wishing we still had ducks

not really in bad waves, its been so long since i had it, its kinda hard to remember. not sure whether they are still making them or not, but the newer ones wer kinda in between a bug buster and super v.

Not sure about the tall transom on the BB. I'll never own another low transom boat other than a small backwater boat with my little 8hp on it. Anything over 25hp needs a tall transom IMO

Wish i was in alaska, hell i wish i could just go ride in the boat. Had hernia surgery on monday and i aint movin to good. lol

there ought to be plenty of folks that could let you ride in either on here.

Man i wanna go to alaska. One day i'm gonna go with ring King

Default AK

Thanks for the info. did some more looking and they look like dang near the same boat with different sides and a different front deck. I think its gonna come down to whatever i can find a deal on.
    AK is awesom in the summer and fall. not much beats kings on a fly rod. Kinda nice having a 8 duck limit and the only species restriction is one canvasback. leaving with 8 greenheads is pretty dang sweet!

you are killing me.

Default AK

remember tho,
    VISIT dont live here. winter sucks! 7 months of freezing cold. 3 months of 2 hours of day light per day. its an amazing place but i can't tell you how much i miss the ol salt marsh back home. call me crazy but i'll take a red on the fly over a king!

i'm not rushing duck season, but i wanna catch me a nice red myself

Anyone know the specs on size of a ‘99 bug buster? Curious on width of floor and length of floor

death trap

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Thanks for the info. did some more looking and they look like dang near the same boat with different sides and a different front deck. I think its gonna come down to whatever i can find a deal on.
    AK is awesom in the summer and fall. not much beats kings on a fly rod. Kinda nice having a 8 duck limit and the only species restriction is one canvasback. leaving with 8 greenheads is pretty dang sweet!
    I believe they are the same hull design but obviously a different cap. I had a 1503 with a 50 Yamaha on it from high school until last year. There wasn’t a creek from bulls bay to sandy island that I didn’t take that boat down. They are a good boat for a small chop, they will wet you a little but not too bad. As far as hunting is concerned a 1503 with a 70 2 stroke Yamaha and a fixed blind would be my boat of choice if I were getting back into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Well 11 years later... What did you go with?
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.