Thread: Woman Stabbed Boyfriend Over Alleged Monopoly Cheating

Default Woman Stabbed Boyfriend Over Alleged Monopoly Cheating

Laura Chavez is shown in this Santa Fe County Jail booking photo. (Santa Fe County Jail)
    Laura Chavez, 60, of Santa Fe, N.M., is accused of repeatedly stabbing her boyfriend, Clyde “Butch” Smith, 48, when a family game of Monopoly went terribly awry.
    Chavez began to argue with Smith while playing the board game with her 10-year-old grandson. The boy told police that Chavez accused Smith of cheating at Monopoly, and then sent the boy to bed around 11 p.m. mid-argument.
    According to a probable cause statement released by police, the couple’s argument escalated until Chavez hit Smith over the head with a glass bottle, then grabbed a knife and began to cut him on his head, neck, face, arms and hand.
    Chavez’s grandson slept through the physical altercation, waking up when police arrived in his bedroom, according to the statement.
    Police said Smith was in stable condition at St. Vincent’s Hospital, where he was taken by ambulance after the attack. Doctors told police Smith was “very intoxicated” when he arrived. Police said Chavez’s apartment was covered in blood from the assault.
    Chavez was held on a $5,000 bond.
    This Monopoly-inspired attack is not the first incident of board game rage. In September, a Florida man allegedly choked his wife over a game of Yahtzee, and in 2009 a Michigan man went to jail for assaulting his Monopoly foe when she would not give up Park Place and the Boardwalk.
    If god is your copilot, switch seats.

Quote Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
    Left over oysters???? Never heard of such a thing.

2500HD
    1436 Wareagle 25 Mercury

Just another example of why board games and alcohol do not mix.
    Tyler Simmons wasn’t offsides. 1-9-2018
    Isaiah Bond didn’t catch the ball. 12-2-2023

"Chavez was held on a $5,000 bond."

She must not have a "Get Out of Jail Free" card.

I expected it to be out of Greenwood.

Don't fucking cheat at Monopoly. That shit is serious.
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what they had to teach; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. Henry David Thoreau, WALDEN

I'm with Edisto on this one.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Edisto View Post
    Don't fucking cheat at Monopoly. That shit is serious.
    That's why JABIII & I no longer play Monopoly...one of us was gonna get hurt, badly. NEVER let him be the banker, either, (he charges interest & will sell "Get Out Of Jail Free" cards", IF you have the money. Acts like a mafia loan shark.

That man would cheat children @ a game of Go Fish & little, old ladies playing Bingo @ church.

Come to think of it, JAB even cheats @ Battleship. I believe, he ripped the head off one of my old school Rock 'Em-Sock 'em Robots.
    “I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!” - Dr. Seuss

Monopoly can get you killed. Wife and I always get into a fight over property with a quickness.
    If god is your copilot, switch seats.

Quote Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
    Left over oysters???? Never heard of such a thing.

2500HD
    1436 Wareagle 25 Mercury