Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: buck deer dead

Default buck deer dead

have been watching this deer on the trail camera all year...i had a big 6 point last year in the same area that i never got a shot at even tho i had three close encounters with him... at the begining of this season i couldnt wait to see if he made it through the winter and what he was this year. not long after i started getting pics of this new 6 point. he had the same patterns as the one from last year. he would show up about every three days on the camera right about first light, always alone. he doesnt look anything like the big 6 from last year, but its too big to be a 6 point thats fo sho.

well, i had to have a north wind to hunt this spot because its really tight on the bedding area and i knew he was bedding within 100 yards of my stand. that cold weather that started the end of last week had me excited. then this damn website started blowing up with pics of bucks... i had plans to leave friday night to go to tiger town to see clemson play, and the whole way there i was wishing i was home hunting. well we decided to come home after the game and i planed on being in the stand sunday morning come hell or high water.

got up at 5:45 sunday morning, took my sent free shower, put on my cloths that i had washed in my scent free detergent and stored in my scent free container (something im usually slack about doing) sprayed down really and tried to be as scent free as possible. walked from my house to the stand and was settled in by 6:15, way before first light. about 6:30 i heard a deer walking behind me, DOWN WIND. damn it, im about to get busted. but luckily the deer made it past me and never winded me. then the deer just seemed to stop moving, so i thought it was probably a doe that bedded down. (i think it ended up being the buck later) finally the sun started to come up and the birds and squirrels started moving about, but no deer. as soon as is got bright enough for me to see a good ways i hit my grunt call a few times. waited about 15 minutes and did it again. my ass was getting numb so i stood up for a few minutes and stretched my legs. not two minutes after i sat back down i heard a noise to my left. then a few moments of silence.... then the weirdest noise ive ever heard a deer make. wasnt a grunt, wasnt a snort, but more like he was clearing his throat and sneezing at the same time. i slowly looked over and there he was, about 30 yards out and coming right down the trail towards my lane. he stopped in the first gap that was clear enough for a shot, but i couldnt draw with out him seeing me. then he steps a few more feet and i draw back. he walked right through the second gap too fast for me to get a shot. then he took his sweet time getting through to the third and final gap. he made a small scrape, took a piss and a shit, and commenced to rub his face and head on every little sappling in the 10 feet section of brush before he finally stepped out. ive been at full draw for what seemed like 2 minutes now, and i had to keep telling my self to remain calm, this deer is yours, all you gotta do is shoot him..his piss was so strong that i could clearly smell him while he was standing there.... finally as he stepped into the gap, i settled the pin tight right behind the shoulder and let go. i saw that the arrow hit perfectly and burried up to the fletchings. listened to the deer run about 50 yards, then crash..... HELL YEA!

i eased down, walked back to the house and changed clothes, dropped the kids off at the pool, and hopped on the four wheeler and went back to find him. blood was spotty the first 20 yards, but after that it was like following the yellow line down the highway straight to him. lucky for me he died 10 feet from a logging road. drug him out to the main dirt road with the four wheeler, and then came back with the truck to load him up....took a few pics, then cleaned the deer and hung him at the hunting club, and still got back in time to make it to homecoming at our church.

deer was 155lbs... not many inches on his rack, but he was an old deer. his back was covered with gray hair... his neck was swollen and he was run down pretty good... he had really broad shoulders and chest. his teeth looked pretty worn down. i kept his skull so i will pull his jaw bone when i boil it to take a look.....im not good at aging deer, but this ones not "1.5"

im damn proud of him!!

Nice killing.what kind of broad head you shooting??

always good to see dead things!

slick trick 100grain magnums.

Gotta love the lung bubble he's got goin' on.

Good deer and good shooting!
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Good Job

Why didn't I get any pics bitch?! That's a nice buck man! Great shot too, right in the bread basket!

Hell yeah!

Interesting rack, I bet the other bucks toted many an asswhipping from him...
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

DAMNIT BOY i love good lung shot! congrats on a good deer!

Why did you wash the face paint off and change clothes before you took pics??

Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Why did you wash the face paint off and change clothes before you took pics??
    face paint is for pussies....

and i changed my cloths as soon as i got home to maintain their "scent freeness" haha

Lol

Nice deer!
    Tell me sump'n. Why you askin' so many jackassy questions?

Nice shooting.
    There's a fine line between HARDCORE AND IGNORANCE!

Nice arra flingin, DDS!

Congrats

Nice Shot

Nice.

Great work!

Lung City!!!!Good killin' Adam!

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Nice Shot and Nice Buck! Well done