Thread: managing pressure --- new marsh construction

observations from my previous marsh project

marsh #2 was built the summer of '99. it is an 8 acre shallow water impoundment that requires rain run-off to fill. the first two years after it was built were pretty duck-less. the third season was a bust b/c of drought conditions. finally, by 2003-04, i started seeing decent #'s of waterfowl utilizing the marsh. i hunted the marsh only in the a.m. and only on the weekends w/ good results (no 5 man limits, but a nice mix of ducks and geese).

last year ('05) was another dry fall which prevented the marsh from holding water during duck season.

pic taken 1/06

i got sick of doing rain dances, and decided to build another 8 acre marsh (w/ H20 access) this summer. the new marsh is within a mile of the other marsh, but will be managed for crops (whereas the old marsh is being managed for moist soil vegetation). i'm optimistic the new marsh will be completed by july, so i'm planning to plant wgf sorghum and millets as soon as construction is completed.

guys, should i bite the bullet and not hunt the new marsh this fall? if so, should i bait the new marsh w/ good ole corn?

do ya'll think infrequent morning hunts this fall could result in too much pressure?

i cant believe the peanut gallery hasn't chimed in, yet....

if you have total control over the water, you will win. i would plant CORN and not hunt for 3 years....granted, you may have to go with sorghums this season.

it would be hell, but you could buy a nice camera and take some pictures. they dont eat good, but it will be worth it in the long run.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

It's hard to say what's best for Kansas. It's in the Central Flyway.

But ,there is a correlation between the amount of pressure a duck hole can stand and the amount of new ducks arriving every week. I would definetely hold off as long as I could stand it...........but you might have to implement some type of depredation program to keep from getting all your crops eaten.

I can help you thin out the green heads, And/Or whatever nuisance species: deer, bear, quail, or anything else you might want removed. Just Pm me and let me know.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.