Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rage broad heads

Default Rage broad heads

I'm kinda new to bow hunting and I jumped at the hype of the rage... Even at the advice of some on here to stay away from the! Long story short I shot my first deer with a bow yesterday, quarterin to me, went in behind his shoulder came out his gut! I know I should have waited for a better angle but I let my nerves get the best of my patience, I'll learn from that. But anyways I tracked him 400 yards and lost blood. I know most of this is my fault for the shot angle but I feel like the broad head should have done a better job, it looked like it didn't fully deploy when I retrieved the arrow! I just hate leavin a deer in the woods I know is dead. Your thoughts, advice please.....I'm a wreck lol.
    Last edited by reezen44; 10-17-2011 at 11:08 AM.

Don't take a bad shot. That's about all the advice I've got other than use a rifle.

But in full disclosure I suck at deer hunting.
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Bad shot. A 400 yard blood trail is pretty good IMO. You should never, ever, take a bad shot. If you cant restrain yourself you should consider a different activity.

1st thing, you jumped that deer.... shoulda waited longer after a bad shot... 2nd, should have waited for a better shot...... 3rd, the deer is dead. guts plugged the hole up and thats why you lost the blood.... go back to where you lost blood and look at the closest water holes... anything that holes water, a ditch, creek, pond, anything... deer want to get to water when they are hurt.

Yea I waited an hour and a half but I should have waited longer I know, he did go down into the swamp but I backed out cus I was afraid I was push in him

I do not like Rage broadheads, but with that shot any head would likely had produced the same results. You can't blame this on anything except for a poor choice. Learn from it and move on.

Do you have a friend with a dog who can help you? May be your last option.
    I've been told a house dog isn't too bad at blood trailing, believe it or not.
    I've never drawn on a deer or anything else but those who have will tell you a broadhead won't compensate for a low percentage shot. They too probably learned that the hard way but few will admit it. Thanks for 'fessing up even though you may get your balls roasted over the coals for doing so.
    Tell me sump'n. Why you askin' so many jackassy questions?

Yea everyone I've talked to in person has said its happened to them, and I'll learn from this for sure! I have a boykin that will find him but I can't go til tomorrow cus my dads hunting the farm today and I don't wanna go mess him up.

Where are you located? I have a dog that likes blood.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by reezen44 View Post
    Yea everyone I've talked to in person has said its happened to them, and I'll learn from this for sure! I have a boykin that will find him but I can't go til tomorrow cus my dads hunting the farm today and I don't wanna go mess him up.
    shoulda had you dog out there yesterday then.

and, your dad wouldnt want you to find your deer instead of him hunting?

Denmark! Big brother I should have listened to you about loosen them with the rage lol

No, you should have waited for a good shot. Denmark is too far away for me.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Had to work yesterday afternoon or else he would have been. My dad wants to hunt and he said he would rather me find my deer but I told him to go ahead. Didnt want my bad judgement to keep him from hunting.

You're right I should have! Thanks for the offer though man.

Like others have said, the head didn't cause you to lose the deer, your choice to make a poor shot did.

I know.

Wait 5 days and look again. You should smell him then.

i know smh

We talked about this yesterday. It happens, it sucks but it happens.

patience is somrthing hard to teach, You learned a lesson, I have been bowhunting for over thirty years. You did not hit a vital and if you would have he would not go over 125 yards, you prob. pushed him. The broadhead opened, they are tested milliions of times.