Thread: Paleo Tricks

Default Paleo Tricks

I saw the post from Glenn in another thread regarding getting an egg, chicken breast, and tomato from Chick-Fil-A for breakfast if you just ask for it. I was wondering if anyone had any other tricks use you at certain restaurants or while you're traveling.

Lunch joint I go to usually has meat and three as well as breakfast. Started ordering 3 eggs over well, an order of shrimp, and steamed veggies of some sort.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

The biggest thing is to not be afraid to ask for what you want. The worst they can say is no. But I have NEVER been denied a polite request. I order my hamburgers naked. What that means is "Gimme the double Ike burger, no cheese or mayo or chili but loaded with everything else, no bun and can I have that side salad instead of fries?" If I can do this at Ike's I can do it anywhere.

I went to a place in the OBX up in Duck two weeks ago and ate paleo as a mo fo. Tip my waitress, complimented the cook and got what I wanted. "Can I have the asparagus instead of the potatoes? And I don't need the bread but thanks anyway." You will be surprised at how much they will do for you.

Fast food is the hard part. Here is where KFC and Hardee's is your friend. Low carb burgers and grilled chicken. But if push comes to shove, hit a waffle house and get steak, eggs and maters and probably be back on the road just as fast as waiting in line at the two above.

Try to plan ahead when traveling. Some nut/seed/fruit mix. Ziploc bags of fresh/raw veggies and I keep a gallon jug filled with water in the truck always. Oh and beef jerky. The store bought commercial stuff isn't the best but its better than bread.

Glenn I'm trying with this man the hardest part for me has been no bread... For lunch yesterday I had a grilled ceasar from Zaxbys ask the lady to hold the croutons and cheese she looked at me like I was crazy but ordered it up just how I asked... Last nite for supper the wife cooked up some lemmon pepper chicken that she found on a Paleo site and it was damn good we also had greenbeans... This mornin I had 3 eggs and 2 balls of sausage! How did I do?

I can already tell a difference as I have more energy and the gut seems to be shrinking and I've only been at this since monday! Been dip free since August though!

You do anything for 3 weeks and it becomes habit. And that includes breaking habits. You're doing good. The worst thing you ate were green beans. Not paleo but better than eating bread/grains. Keep it up man. Folks will look at you like you are an alien when you ask for stuff like that but smile, acknowledge the fact you're a nut case and they will help you out. I have to Chic fil A folks entertaining offering a low carb, lettuce wrap grilled chicken sandwich because they make it for me so often. I told 'em "hell, if Hardees can do it, certainly you can"

Oh and congrats on kicking the bakker.

Quote Originally Posted by CAJUN LAB View Post
    Glenn I'm trying with this man the hardest part for me has been no bread... For lunch yesterday I had a grilled ceasar from Zaxbys ask the lady to hold the croutons and cheese she looked at me like I was crazy but ordered it up just how I asked... Last nite for supper the wife cooked up some lemmon pepper chicken that she found on a Paleo site and it was damn good we also had greenbeans... This mornin I had 3 eggs and 2 balls of sausage! How did I do?

I can already tell a difference as I have more energy and the gut seems to be shrinking and I've only been at this since monday! Been dip free since August though!

So steamed veggies or a salad would be better? How about the brakefast what are some of the things you eat?

Venison jerky and a bag of almonds in the truck at all times. Another thing that works well for me when on the road is to stop at a grocery store and just buy a 1/2 pound of deli meat and a raw vegetable of some sort. Most stores sell boiled eggs in bag as well.

how the fuck can you not eat a green bean?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    Word...

I need answers.

Pronto.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by CAJUN LAB View Post
    So steamed veggies or a salad would be better? How about the brakefast what are some of the things you eat?
    Steamed/roasted/grilled veggies are always good. As much as you want as often as you want. Mix it up. Sometimes I cook breakfast. Eggs, bacon, sliced mater, some fruit etc. Some days I don't eat breakfast because I'm just not hungry (a byproduct of your insulin getting back to normal levels and your blood glucose staying at a steady state instead of spiking and crashing) and some days I'll have suppers left overs for breakfast. Like Monday I had about a half a pound of grilled turkey breast I cooked on Sunday and an apple for breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by qlyrata View Post
    Venison jerky and a bag of almonds in the truck at all times. Another thing that works well for me when on the road is to stop at a grocery store and just buy a 1/2 pound of deli meat and a raw vegetable of some sort. Most stores sell boiled eggs in bag as well.
    Good tip there. The gal pal and I have done the same. Hit a grocery close to the interstate and load up on fruit, veggies and meat. Good tip!

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    Word...

I need answers.

Pronto.
    Ahem...
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I simply don't pick it up and put it in my mouth. Same way you stopped yourself from smoochin with Gbelly. Time/distance/shielding.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    Word...

I need answers.

Pronto.
    If green beans are the worst thing you are eating then you are miles ahead of the rest of the population. But green beans are a legume. Legumes are high in estrogens and nutritionally there are better options out there. But like I said. If you're ditching all the other boxed/processed bull shit the world shoves in our faces daily but just can't do without green beans then bean up.

And there are a TON of people, on strict paleo/primal diets, that include beans and peas in their diets. It's NOT a deal breaker by any means.
    Last edited by Glenn; 10-13-2011 at 08:32 AM.

Seems if a man can stay off the tader chip isle and baker isle in the grocery sto he will do ok
    Last edited by CAJUN LAB; 10-13-2011 at 08:45 AM.

Stay off of any "inner aisle" in a grocery sto and you will do even better. Produce, seafood, Meat department, dairy departments, and deli are all on the outside edge of the store. They do that for a reason but that is where a paleo/primal person should focus their shopping.

ETA: If you buy something and the expiration date is over a month away it probably isnt paleo.
    Last edited by Chuck the Duck Slayer; 10-13-2011 at 09:09 AM.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I don't leave the house in the morning without a gallon of water. I'm on the road a lot, so I routinely hit grocery stores around lunch for deli meat and fruit.

What about tuna? Starkist now makes tuna in a vacuum packed bag. I'm sure there are better things out there, but it's so damn easy to eat when I'm in the car or truck. All I need is a plastic fork and some hand sanitizer so the wife won't think I've been missing with some stank strange if I get a little juice on my hand.

Tuna is A-okay. Eat away!

I thought you could get protein from beans? WTF? Estrogen? Never knew that one.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    I thought you could get protein from beans? WTF? Estrogen? Never knew that one.
    You can but it isn't the kind of protein you want. Tofu is made from beans.

But lets not let the devil in the details. If I were to have to choose between a product that would spike my blood sugar and cause hyper insulinemia or beans. I'd eat the beans and hope there was some good bacon, ham hock or chunk of ham in there with it so I could get some good fat and protein too.