Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bowhunting Clothing Opinions

Default Bowhunting Clothing Opinions

I am bowhunting exclusively now and have gotten into the layered clothing to keep the bulkiness down.

Around here it really dont matter but in Ohio it does.

How do yall think 2 sets of Under Armour cold gear would work together?

I found some on clearance and was pondering if an extra set would work better than say a fleece layer or thermal underwear layer?

Thoughts?
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Cabelas has their merino wool long underwear in the Bargain Cave. It beats the UA IMHO.
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

Quote Originally Posted by boondoggle View Post
    Cabelas has their merino wool long underwear in the Bargain Cave. It beats the UA IMHO.

Really? I will check that out Thanks Boon

The only thing I see in the bargain cave are the merino wool stocking caps

Deer Season is over...............stop dwelling on shit that isn't relevant...............

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    Deer Season is over...............stop dwelling on shit that isn't relevant...............
    Word. Time to chase chickens.

But to answer your question...

In the coldest of environments you only need 3 layers. Just three.

A synthetic layer next to your skin that wicks moisture, an insulating layer on top of that (i.e. fleece) and an outer layer that is wind proof/water proof and somewhat breathable.

Wear a hat, don't lace your boots too tight and you are good to go.

jeans... is this a trick question
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Hey man dont be bitter because I got your money to spend from from the bowhunting challenge.

It is only half my fault you got yer ass kicked.

Well more like a third my fault.....a third SCSwitchback.....and a third yours for not killin nothin.

ice cold

A lot of wisdom in what Glenn says. Especially the bit about the boots. I sometimes go four layers, but seldom.

I have taken to a base layer of synthetic/fleecy long underwear. Kind of kills two birds with one stone. Matching the thickness of that base layer to the conditions is key. Going from mid-season thickness (which works most of the time for me in SC) to an arctic/expedition weight will do wonders if it's real cold.

I then wear a shirt, cause I like shirts, and, if I shed layers later in the day, I am prepared. BIG fan of Cabelas Micro-Tex. Quiet, soft, comfortable, and tough. Got the pants, too.

Next layer is a fleece jacket or quarter zip with a wind-proof lining. I got a quarter zip Cabelas legacy fleece with the Wind Shear lining for Christmas, and am loving it. That alone can do as an outer layer over the shirt, and you could be done.

But, if it's REAL cold, raining, or both, I have my jacket to wear instead of the 1/4 zip fleece. Some might remember the lengthy micro-managed post I had in here asking about jackets... well, I went on a tangent and got the Rutwear Mid-Season Layering Jacket. Fleece lined, waterproof quiet exterior shell, multiple pockets (many with quiet magnetic closures), hood.... I have NOT worn that with the fleece 1/4 zip AND the shirt AND the base layer - haven't been that cold here, and I think it would be too bulky. I like it cause it's waterproof and warm as hell.

Also got the Rutwear matching waterproof bibs for foul weather - and they keep the wind off my legs.

Waiting to get the insulated Micro-Tex pants - should be awesome.

Eyeing the Rutwear Archers Jacket for warmer weather with the built-in compression sleeve for the bow arm.

For FOOTWEAR - I wear insulated camo Alpha Burlys and GOOD merino wool blend socks. I got some of the Bass Pro Shop "Treestand" socks, and they rock.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Glenn is dead on. I have learned a lot about staying warm these last few months especially, December when it went to 20 below and stayed there for awhile. I wear UA cold gear thermals, a chamois or wool shirt, a Patagonia primaloft vest and a shitty old West Marine boat jacket (waterproof/windproof and ready to get destroyed). Wool socks are essential.

As for footwear, get yourself a pair of Schnees. By nature my feet are cold but these boots keep me comfortable. They are a little on the bulky side and odd feeling at first but pretty comfortable once broken in.
    cut\'em

Two layers of cold gear would pop you like a zit.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    Hey man dont be bitter because I got your money to spend from from the bowhunting challenge.

Well more like a third my fault.....a third SCSwitchback.....and a third yours for not killin nothin.
    Leroy, tell me how you feel about what just happened?

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post

Like you even had a part in getting my $10.........you were still trying to figure out what end of the bow to shoot off slick....again irrelevant BS.........

Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    ice cold
    Again I could give a shit less.........

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    Leroy, tell me how you feel about what just happened?
    O I heard something about falsified entries.............A little bird is stirring accusations of deer shot and cleaned up for bow kill status.......say it aint so........lol..........
    Last edited by ccleroy; 01-27-2010 at 08:16 AM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

O I heard something about falsified entries.............A little bird is stirring accusations of deer shot and cleaned up for bow kill status.......say it aint so........lol..........

Please bring it to the surface

Dude, screw all tha UA crap. Find you a Duofold vendor and buy you a one piece "union" suit. Put a ribbed sweater over that and cover it up with a fleece jacket. For the legs get a nice set of bibs and you're set for anything. I had Browning Hydro Fleece bibs (I now have the coveralls...long story, not happy) and they were perfect (don't know if you can still get them or not). I hunted in some bone chilling shit in MI, OH and NY with the above get up never got cold. The bibs allow you trunk to retain heat while allowing freedom of movement for the shoulders and arms.

In CT I wore the union suit, a duoufold turtleneck, a sweater and jeans since there temps aren't quite as brutal as the above mentioned states and never had a problem. hell, I fell asleep beneath a hemlock one afternoon in a brutal snow storm and woke up at 3am comfy as hell

Thanks tater I have never heard of Duofold but I will check em out.

Like you even had a part in getting my $10.........you were still trying to figure out what end of the bow to shoot off slick....again irrelevant BS.........

Again I could give a shit less.........

Yes. definately bring it to the surface???

Tweren't me...too late in the evening to have to track a lung shot deer so I put the bullet high through the shoulders to alleviate any need for tracking.