Thread: The Sculpture of Grainger McKoy (carver)

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default The Sculpture of Grainger McKoy (carver)

Not photography but I thought it was worth posting. This is some fantastic carving. He's also a South Carolina boy. I got the heads-up for this in an email from 'Gray's Sporting Journal'. Here's the email:

The High Museum of Art in Atlanta will feature the sculpture of renowned artist Grainger McKoy through January 8th, 2012.

Birds are McCoy's specialty, and he studies them with a well-trained eye from his studio in Sumter, South Carolina. An avid hunter, McKoy studied architecture at Clemson University and earned a degree in zoology. Having always shown a talent for art, McKoy ultimately honed his craft in Beaufort, South Carolina, at the studio of mentor and Waterfowl Hall of Fame member Gilbert Maggioni (1922-2001).

Like the masters before him--most notably James Audubon (1785-1851) and Constantin Brancusi (1876-1957)--McKoy's sculptures invite us to question, wonder, observe and, above all, revel in the pure beauty of birds. Unlike most traditional bird carvers, McKoy seeks extreme realism, inserting individually-carved wood feathers rather than carving them from an existing block. McKoy also engages his knowledge of architecture to create complex, gravity-defying compositions.

McKoy focuses on the dynamics of avian behavior as inspiration--showing birds feeding, flocking, fleeing danger, or fighting. His sculptural representations appeal as much to aesthetic expectations as to the human fascination with drama and narrative. In much of his work, McKoy includes realistic reference to environment--grasses, mud, sand--to further the naturalistic illusion.
    The Sculpture of Grainger McKoy

His site:
    http://www.graingermckoy.com/

Last edited by Mergie Master; 10-12-2011 at 12:46 AM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Awesome craftsmanship!
    I'm like a duck: calm above the water, and paddling like hell underneath....

great man... does alot for the community in Sumter.

Last spring, they had a nice exhibition of his work in the conference center at the Walkers Course in Clemson.
    "Blessed is the man... who makes one word grow where two grew before" - Havilah Babcock

You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” - Robert Ruark

"Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing " -Benjamin Franklin

He has a beautiful plantation outside of Santee. One of my buddies cuts his timber and another one is his godson.

I have met him but havent got the chance to really talk to him. They always say "You know those Dos Equis commercials with the most interesting man in the world? That is Grainger."

Sat in his seats at Clemson one time- Home side, 50 yd line, 20 rows up. Pretty sporty.

His work is amazing....

I think this one is called covey rise and is my favorite. He sure knows what he is doing behind a few pointers as well.

I took an Art Appreciation class in college, and did my semester project on him. The craftsmenship that goes into these are amazing.
    Last edited by 803; 10-11-2011 at 08:10 AM.
    "Blessed is the man... who makes one word grow where two grew before" - Havilah Babcock

You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” - Robert Ruark

"Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing " -Benjamin Franklin

I don't see how in the world he can do that.

There was a special on ETV a while back that showed how he made the sculpture for Swan Lake. It was ridiculous all the work that was done feather by feather. Then the piece was cast in metal I believe. Maybe some of you Scumpter people can go in a little more detail about that sculpture.

He lives on the plantation that i hunt. Pics don't do his stuff justice. If you ever get a chance to see it in person, do! The skimmer with his bill in the water isnhard to believe, as is covey rise, pintails, and the one with the rattlesnake. He's as good as it gets
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Wow!

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhchQ3wbZ80[/ame]
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Dang. Hard to believe Grainger had on khakis and a blue button down. Whoda thunk it?
    He also has a beautiful testimony.
    Last edited by jwilliams; 10-13-2011 at 12:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Long time fan.

Calling him an artist is an understatement.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ProvidenceSwamper View Post
    There was a special on ETV a while back that showed how he made the sculpture for Swan Lake. It was ridiculous all the work that was done feather by feather. Then the piece was cast in metal I believe. Maybe some of you Scumpter people can go in a little more detail about that sculpture.
    I was there for the unveiling. The sculpture, which is called "recovery" I believe, symbolizes the hurdles in life that test us and leave us vulnerable at our weakest points. I have met him before but don't really know him. I grew up going to church with his brother and nieces. My dad has always spoken highly of him. If you want to score some points with your wife, girlfriend, mistress or mother, he makes a jewelry line.

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    If you want to score some points with your wife, girlfriend, mistress or mother, he makes a jewelry line.
    Heard an interesting story about the whole jewelry operation.

Awesome work doesn't even begin to describe those works.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Grainger truly has a gift from God. He is an amazing artist, but his true talent my be his ability to spread the "good news". If you are ever going through Statesburg, you should stop by his shop. He will always take time out of his schedule to speak with anyone interested in his art or life in general. He is one of a handful of people in this world that I truly admire, spiritually and professionally. It is always exciting to see someone who "walks the walk" in every single aspect of their lives.

When I was in college, Grainger was beginning to tinker with the casting process of his wood carvings. He asked me for some Mallard Curly Feathers as a model. I had a handful laying around and gave them to him, without thinking much of it. A few months later my dad brought me a gift from Grainger.

I consider myself very blessed to be one of the few people in the world to have a one of a kind, personalized carving from Grainger.

The hotel/resort I stayed in up in Duck a few weeks back has some of his carvings on display. Incredible work. They had a pair of mourning doves their in a case that I thought were live birds in a cage at first glance.

Impressive.