Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SeaCraft rebuild.....

Default SeaCraft rebuild.....

Thought some of you may like this so here it is!

This is a 1970 potter Built SeaCraft, 20 ft that I bought in 2008 with the intentions of rebuilding sometime soon. I knew it had some issues but decided to rig it and run it fora couple of years then decide how to proceed.

All the work is being done in Charleston by High & Dry Boatworks and it will be one quality, sweet ride when complete!

I had a new 70 gallon tank built, the bracket will go back on after some minor work, there will be a large fish box in the floor as well as bulk storage. The livewell is 40 gallons in the new leaning post. The transom, floor, stringers, and new cap will all be structural foam material. There will also be no forward deck.....open all the way forward. There will also be a T top ( I must have shade these days).

After cutting her open, there was A LOT of wet, water-logged wood and foam....probably 750 pounds or more!

Standby, more to come......
    Last edited by Calibogue; 10-10-2011 at 07:05 PM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Damn, I really like the looks of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

I want to build/rebuild one someday.
    I like it!

Great riding boat...took her from Beaufort to Georgetown two years ago! Ready to make that trip again but with a T top and curtains!!!!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

LOVE the old Seacraft hulls. Beautiful classic lines. Keep us posted on progress.

That is a sweet ride.
    The only man to ever get all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.

Awesome job saving a classic!
    I found a '67 I would like to do. It's a 27 flybridge.
    Last edited by Goin Coastal; 10-10-2011 at 07:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

If I am not mistaken, that is a rare one you have there?

Very nice, thanks for sharing the pics.

Nice rebuild! Keep us posted, would love to see the final product.
    I'm like a duck: calm above the water, and paddling like hell underneath....

Nice ride Cali! Hard to beat those Potter built hulls.

Quote Originally Posted by 4THEGIRLS View Post
    LOVE the old Seacraft hulls. Beautiful classic lines. Keep us posted on progress.
    Damn Tyrell you took the words right out of my mouth!
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    If I am not mistaken, that is a rare one you have there?
    It is not mine. Wish it were. Been thinking of every possible way to make it happen though. Price is a little high without seeing it in person. I've always wanted a classic boat fixed up to modern standards. We rebuilt a 28 Bertram at work one time. Complete tear down as you are doing. Some people love classic cars, I love classic boats.
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

awesome, will it be visiting the sandbar anytime soon?

Quote Originally Posted by swampknob View Post
    awesome, will it be visiting the sandbar anytime soon?
    I am sure she will make here way to the sandbar next season!

Forgot one....the new fuel tank dry fitted into place.
    I added two pickup lines on the fuel tank....the primary that is 6" from the rear of the tank and an extra that I plan to ocassionally hook the electric pump to to check the contents in the bottom of the tank. Just an easy add-on security measure with all the shitty fuel being sold today!

I will continue to upload pics as we progress. This began almost one year ago and has moved rather slow over the hot summer but things are speeding up now. To say it was a mess under the deck when we began would be an understatement! There were 3 plywood floors stacked on top of one another and the guys doing the grinding found an unopened bag of Original Lay's under the deck dated 1979!

Last edited by Calibogue; 10-11-2011 at 06:09 AM.

What was the reason for adding to the top of stringers? And was the original fuel cell fiberglass? That would cause concern for anyone with an older SeaCraft with this ethanol fuel.

The old tank was aluminum and 55 gallons, I wanted bigger!
    The height on the stringers is to raise the floor and make the cockpit self bailing....they didn't call them "sink crafts" for nothing!

Nice looking Potter, they are harder and harder to find these days.

Is that an aluminum tank with some sort of coating?

aluminum and sprayed with primer.