Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: hunting hard or hardly hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    well, i dont have that kind of problem...or that kind of deer density. I can honestly say I have sat 30 times this year with or without a kid or two. I have seen a grand total of ten deer. TEN. ALL YEAR.
    Too much pressure
    More fuel = more boost!!

and so the saga continues.....

I decided to hunt big ass corn piles this weekend. It was till a tad warm, but at least a steady wind would make it easier to pick a spot to sit. I chose to go way down in the bottom and sit the 'hole n the wall.' so, its about 8am and I am bored. I hang my bow up and get out my kindle. about that time, i nice doe steps into the hedgerow. dang it. well, it takes about 5 min for her to chill the hell out and i am about to get my bow down when i see more deer coming from my left. BB and yearling doe. so, now i have 3 sets of eyes at 15 steps. fast forward about 5 more min and i am finally able to reach up and get my bow down. of course, mama gets antsy so I take my chance to draw. she is broadside. 18 steps. its finally gonna happen. I settle in and feel for my kisser button as the pin drifts towards the pocket i want to aim at. but, something aint right. where is my kisser? I pull the bow away from my face and look--no kisser. deer is now at full alert. I think fast and decide to just aim like I always would and let it rip. I ignore my pins and the absence of a kisser and aim as best as I can. I cant help but notice my 20yd pin is a foot over her body....so i let the bow down and all three deer bound off. I climb down and go home.

So, i try again friday PM. wind is wrong for that spot (not to mention that mama knows too much now) so i sit a different spot... 30min before dark, a small doe comes in. i think about shooting her (now that i have a new kisser button) but let her sit, hoping to lure in her mama or a nice buck. well, she bounds off to mama who is back in the woods. I kick myself for not shooting her (even moreso since BGGuy is busy letting the air out of a another doe at the same time). At dark, another lil doe steps out but stays behind some limbs for too long and I dont get a shot. Oh well. No big deal. There is always tomorrow.

Saturday AM. I coach kids soccer at 10am but I have enough time to go sit...but i decide not to. Up at 5am with nothing to do.....(this will be important later).

So, saturday PM I watch Clemson. Go Tigers.

Sunday AM. back in the same spot I sat friday PM. on the way in, there is a nice enough 8pt on the corn. He spooks and runs off. I sit. See nothing. Check camera and damn if a stud 10pt wasnt in front of it at 7:58am on saturday....while i was at home with nothing to do. (pics to follow).

Sunday PM. Sit where BGguy shot the doe. perfect wind. i see not shit while BGGuy switches places with me and sits where the big buck is on camera and sees 5 does and doesnt shoot a one of them.

Snake bit?
    Karma?
    Wtf?

It doesnt matter....I saw deer. I had them in range. I just wish the weekend was another day or two longer....

lots of pics of bucks chasing. now is a good time to be out there. I wish i was...
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 10-17-2011 at 06:56 AM.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

You need to quit giving deer too much credit and get busy killing them.

you might be right. I want my son to get one, too. Its tough juggling wanting to HUNT and taking him....

Take your favorite hunting outfit and burn it all in offering. You are infected with bad ju-ju and need a cleanser.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

the one morning I didnt sit....

that sucks , but im like you ive been 20 + times and nothing but have tons of pics on cameras

Dump out 200lbs of corns on your spot, so you have to replinish once erry now and again.

Hows about use up them cabelas points on a Scent lock suit, leave the dip at home, take a scent free bath, dress in scent free environment, spray down and walk to the woods WALK.

get in tree, focus on killing shit.

I been 4 times all season and seen more than you have since august...

good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Dump out 200lbs of corns on your spot, so you have to replinish once erry now and again.

Hows about use up them cabelas points on a Scent lock suit, leave the dip at home, take a scent free bath, dress in scent free environment, spray down and walk to the woods WALK.

get in tree, focus on killing shit.

I been 4 times all season and seen more than you have since august...

good luck.
    Scent lock really works for you? I've seen so many guys poo poo it I never considered buying it. Serious question, not trolling.

If I left my dip at home I'd get so depressed I'd hang myself with my harness tether.
    Tell me sump'n. Why you askin' so many jackassy questions?

i wash my clothes in scent free detergent. i walk to my stands. I spray down. geez. you people are a riot.

how do you come to the conclusion that deer are winding me?

dumping out 200lbs of corn seems slutty. I dont like it. I would prefer not to corn at all....

oh...and I hunt the wind.
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 10-17-2011 at 09:28 AM.

Burn your bad ju-ju up in your hunting clothes dang it. I swear, it works.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Serious question: I do the scent free washing, shower scent free, change in the woods, spray my boot soles and sides. Is it necessary to spray down after all of those precautions to my clothing? I had thought spraying was just for your bow, boots, etc. Or is that what you mean by spraying down.

Nice buck, Doc. I hope you get him.

Ya'll are trying way too hard. Relax and just let it happen.

Your Ying is out of Yang, you need to get a better balance in life.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Hell, I am seeing does everytime I sit, except tonight, first night since September 15th I haven't saw a deer.. But however, I am tired of shooting does and small stupid bucks ( other than the 8pt I shot last year at my buddys land.) I have yet shoot a decent buck on my club. Yes, they are being shot every weekend. Not where I am at, got some on camera - but no go.

I know where you are coming from though.. Hope your kid gets one.

You need one of those suits that blocks your radio waves.

Edit: And you should've sat Saturday morning.
    Last edited by cusportsman; 10-17-2011 at 09:03 PM.
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i wash my clothes in scent free detergent. i walk to my stands. I spray down. geez. you people are a riot.

how do you come to the conclusion that deer are winding me?

dumping out 200lbs of corn seems slutty. I dont like it. I would prefer not to corn at all....

oh...and I hunt the wind.
    I've come to the conclusion that you just have a funk you cant shake, go knock the bottom out a old "DARK" girl and come back and try again. that will knock the monkey off your back
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.