Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hunting hard or hardly hunting?

Default hunting hard or hardly hunting?

thursday PM. Combahee unit of the ACE basin. Mosquitoes were in full force. In a climber. Drop my quiver. Climb back down. Then, back up. Sweating. Hating a climber. Saw nothing.

friday AM. same tree. same story, but dropped my release this time. Up. Down. Sat till noon. Nothing. Friday PM, I decided to mix it up. sat in a ditch on private land (@!$! a climber). Had a doe within about 30 steps at dark:thirty. Couldnt get a shot.

Saturday I had to drive home before the sun came up to coach soccer. we won 2-0. Then, clemson did its thing. Cant complain about Saturday. Didnt have to waste it sitting in a tree. So, sunday morning I decide i should go to the outdoor church I like to attend, so I did.

Sat at my place over a (gasp!) FEEDER. saw nothing. sat till 10. got in same tree (perfect wind before you yahoos start to bitchin) and saw a 3pt right at dark. at least 16 hours or more in the tree and I saw a glimpse of a doe and an even smaller glimpse of a tiny buck at dark. I have tried to mix it up. I have tried most everything....but i cant get a goldarn deer in sight, much less in bow range.

I take my kids with me. we have this one spot we have permission to hunt. its similar to a lot of y'alls "urban" spots. Another guy hunts there and he sees deer all the time and has shot two. i have taken one or both of my boys there FIVE times already and we saw deer ONCE and it was too dark to get a shot.

I think i need a witch doctor. HARV? Anyone? Exorcism? something. I dont know...but I am getting a bit pissy about it all. I really would like to see a few does leisurely feeding in a bean field but i cant even make THAT happen. !*@^&)!*( )& )(&#*~(()#$()!~&^$*(~()!@

seriously.
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 10-10-2011 at 11:40 AM.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I know how you feel...
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Alright....... come see me so the whining will stop!
    Call me.....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

i dont want to shoot one of your deer. i want to shoot one of MINE. hell, i just want to SEE one of mine right about now. I just dont know what else to do but start putting corn out every other day and go shoot a doe....but i want my KIDS to shoot the doe...and I aint got time or desire to corn up every other day. I need my "mojo" changed....

I cant believe that grain cart isnt empty yet and you need a refill.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

How much corn are you putting out on your spots?

got one spot with a feeder. other spots get nothing. just dont have time to do it. it shouldn't matter, dangit!

i feel the same way but mine is i cant see bucks, sat last wed after noon and seen 25+ does and a not a buck in sight, every stand i sit i see does but no bucks, and if i do see a buck he aint a shooter. But put a camera up and dont go sit there and by god he will be there mooning the camera and eatting corn
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    So, do you buy your women too, or just your ducks?

well, i dont have that kind of problem...or that kind of deer density. I can honestly say I have sat 30 times this year with or without a kid or two. I have seen a grand total of ten deer. TEN. ALL YEAR.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    well, i dont have that kind of problem...or that kind of deer density. I can honestly say I have sat 30 times this year with or without a kid or two. I have seen a grand total of ten deer. TEN. ALL YEAR.
    dont go to Halfway
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    So, do you buy your women too, or just your ducks?

Don't go to halfway- you have bad karma. You will mess up a good thing.

i dont want to shoot one of your deer. i want to shoot one of MINE. hell, i just want to SEE one of mine right about now. I just dont know what else to do but start putting corn out every other day and go shoot a doe....but i want my KIDS to shoot the doe...and I aint got time or desire to corn up every other day. I need my "mojo" changed....
    Call him! sometimes it just takes getting the monkey off your back. He don't care where he rides you to either... besides, would like to see you, on low-country time of course.
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Give it up Cali. I've tried to get him to come up here and shoot "at" one till I'm blue in the face. He won't budge off of BG.

Some folks is happy bein' miserable I reckon.

Let BG sit for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Give it up Cali. I've tried to get him to come up here and shoot "at" one till I'm blue in the face. He won't budge off of BG.

Some folks is happy bein' miserable I reckon.
    you aint got no corn up there.

BG sits all week. plus, the spot i sat sunday is unknown to everyone and never gets traffic.

corn? hell. I cant corn. dont have time during the week. its OK. I will kill SOMETHING.

hear me out.....What good is it to go somewhere like Glenn or Cali's place and kill a deer? What have I accomplished? other than making a good shot. I prefer to kill a deer on MY place. I worked for it. I hung the stand. I trimmed the limbs. I put up the game camera. It means more.

granted, I WILL accept venison donations later in the season.

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GBelly View Post
    you aint got no corn up there.
    And I'm glad. It seems to repel deer. I'll stick with my clover, acorns and seeing 5-15 deer a sit.

You really need to talk him into traveling more. It will pay off.

Hmm, I've seen ten deer in the last three sittings. A buck chasing a doe yesterday as a matter of fact. Pro Tip: Get far away from the Lowcountry and all that damn corn. Come to God's country in the upstate where far more deer get killed in a shorter period of time.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

BG sits all week. plus, the spot i sat sunday is unknown to everyone and never gets traffic.

corn? hell. I cant corn. dont have time during the week. its OK. I will kill SOMETHING.

hear me out.....What good is it to go somewhere like Glenn or Cali's place and kill a deer? What have I accomplished? other than making a good shot. I prefer to kill a deer on MY place. I worked for it. I hung the stand. I trimmed the limbs. I put up the game camera. It means more.

granted, I WILL accept venison donations later in the season.

thanks.
    How 'bout this chili fry. You come to my place. Bring a stand. I'll give you a day to scout it and two to hunt it. Hang and hunt where you want to.

Please accept Gwens offer and quit whining....please, for the love of God?????
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.