Thread: Thanks DNR

GEORGETOWN - Legislators will be asked to approve an expansion of Samworth Wildlife Management Area near Georgetown that will provide more land for waterfowl hunting.

The state Department of Natural Resources board voted last week to ask for approval of the expansion.

The additional areas are Carr Creek, which runs through the current game area at Samworth, and Little Carr Creek, which runs along the east boundary of the existing hunt area.

The creeks already belong to the agency but have not been included in the hunting program, said Mike Willis, the agency's communications director.

Besides legislators, the change also must be approved by the state Budget and Control Board and DNR's Waterfowl Advisory Committee.

If the addition is approved, hunting will be allowed there beginning in the 2005-06 waterfowl season on Wednesday and Saturday mornings, Willis said.

"By adding these areas to the WMA program, we believe we can increase the quality of the waterfowl hunting opportunity not only on Samworth, but also in the surrounding habitats," said Tim Ivey, DNR's chief of wildlife.

The agency operates more than 1 million acres of wildlife management areas across the state.

The goal for the areas is "affordable public hunting and a quality outdoor experience for the citizens of South Carolina," according to DNR's annual report.

Besides a hunting license, users at state game lands are required to have a special permit.

Samworth is among the state's largest game lands. Most of the property was acquired in 1961 when the late Thomas Samworth donated Dirleton Plantation to the state.

Breck Carmichael, deputy director of the agency's Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Division, said public input will be sought in developing regulations for hunts on Carr and Little Carr creeks.

I guess the alligator with the deer is next. (see wildlife and habitat forum}
    Well, I\'m not a gynecologist but I\'ll take a look.

Admin,
    Respectfully, you have fallen victum to the PR campaign. This is not a good thing. It sets a bad precedence. It only makes the public hunting situation worse.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Admin,
    I appologize. I'll bet you understand exactly what you are doing.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.