Thread: Words of wisdom from Da LabLuvr on deer and dovefields

This post is only for those who have the capacity to think outside the box and aren't set in your ways. If you are a hardheaded, set in your ways dickweed, this post is not for you.

First if you can't control deer in your sunflowers then why the hell are you planting them? I know, I know, sunflowers are the most preferred food of all foods by doves. Well, they are pretty damn tasty to deer also and deer as you well know will screw up a sunflower field in a damn skippy minute.

So what's a guy do this late in the game, or, do next year to prevent such an occurence? For this year, you've about got one hope I know of and you can't dilly dally around with it. The answer to your problems is "Buckwheat". Call your seed dealer right now and tell him to set you some aside and if he ain't got it, tell the sumbitch to get it!

Here ya go thinking again. You're asking, Lab why in the hell would I plant buckwheat versus them golden sunflowers? Well first of all, deer do like buckwheat. Matter of fact I plant it in my bowhunting food plots specifically for deer. But, and this is were buckwheat really shines, is that in "most" cases deer can not kill it. That's right! They will nibble on the stuff, but the ol buckwheat keeps on growing. And to add to the shine, doves absolutely love it! Matter of fact, turks and quail like it as well. But you have a lot less problems with buckwheat. The best shoot I ever had on my small fields was one of buckwheat and a millet combo. On the end of the field where I had the buckwheat planted, the doves almsot fell out of the sky, like ducks on a baited swamp hole.

Today, I was discing an area next to a field of buckwheat I had just sown and there were a ton of doves there. Seeing all those birds made me think of the problems some of you guys are having so I decided to post this up.

Don't waste a dove season by being a hardheaded dickweed. Go get you some buckwheat, and do it now! It takes about 45 days to reach maturity so your window to dove season is shrinking quick. Clemson U. puts out a great booklet on almost all game foods and plants worthy of planting here in SC, get one they are cheap and a great resource. If you have a great dove field as a result of planting buckwheat, I am always open to invites!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

ive never planted it because i dont know anyone that has besides you. but you may have me convinced.
    how tall does it get, lb/ac, etc?
    you drilling or slinging

in the past we've planted, sunflowers, corn, and proso millet. the reason that we've always planted sunflowers is bc it's king. it's a pain in the ass, and granted we've never had the probs to the extent that we've had this year, BUT i watch the birds fly right over the millet and drop onto a sunflower head over and over and over........ we've never tried buckwheat. we've tried every other kind of grain beside that with the proso seeming to be the fave of the dove. might have to check into grabbing a bag or two.

and i'm not a dickweed.

mdb

mdb

Sporting,

Buchwheat is more common in a dove field than most think. It just is not that common in SC.

Buchwheat is a stemmy type plant, and I would guess around 12 inches in height with little leafy matter to trash the field. Planting rate is 40-50 lbs per acre with a planter. I sling mine and plant a little higher rate. The other good thing is buckwheat is not that particular about PH requiring only 6-6.5.

It also seems to keep the weeds down, for what reason I do not know. You can Google buckwheat and find images on the plant. A lot of guys on the QDMA forums plant it for deer as well.

MDB, you and Sportin have open minds so you are not Dickweeds. However, I really worry about Toofprick!
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Sporting check your PM's.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

lol at mergies post

SCTIMBER Coots

[img]graemlins/thumb2.gif[/img] ,this year is about shot up for me but will keep in mind for next year's plantings, hoping to plant a few food plots of sunflowers, magic carpet, vetch, and I'll add some buckwheat on one. Strange enough hardly anybody around the farm here plants food plots, so next year may be a good year on our place.

Lab,
    If you'll spray that buckwheat with round-up when its done seeding, you'll have a lot less trash in the field. Especially if you have it ready to go a few weeks before you cut it for doves.

Good idea Slaya, I knew you had some smarts hidden somewhere!

Have you planted it for doves? How did it work? You owe me!
    12-26-98 12-1-13

I planted some last year for doves, but I didn't have the best results, had a lot of weeds in the buckwheat and the rest of the field. The field had been fallow for years and has all kinds of fun stuff, from black cherry trees to nut grass to centipede; I turned the field this year, which took care of most of the trees, and put the round-up to it, so it looks MUCH better than last year. I also have clearfield sunflowers, and will shoot the Lightning to them in a few weeks, they are just in the 4 leaf stage of the second planting, and then I'll hit it with round-up when they're done if there are any more weeds then. Might be a good 2nd season field.

This year, I had a good bit of volunteer buckwheat in the RR Corn. I sprayed the corn about the time the buckwheat was done. It now is all stalk with seed on top, and the doves are using it now. Hopefully, they'll multiply between now and the opener. I am also planning to put some buckwheat in a deer plot across a small windrow of Longleaf from the dove field. Hopefully, I can plant it this afternoon before the rain this weekend.

Roger dodger.
    12-26-98 12-1-13