Thread: 1993 30 johnson

Default 1993 30 johnson

Electric start. Motor ran a little hot and shut itself down to idle. Cut it off cause I knew it was hot. Would not do shit later.
    Went to do compression test and just heard a click at the selinoid. Then would not even click. Loaded up on trailer, went and tried it again and spun over like nothin had happend. Backed back into water fired up ran great but could tell if was going to run hot. Loaded back on trailer to drop gearcase and run comp test, hit starter switch, click, again and nothing. beat the shit out of switch nothing. Not battery, checked voltage to starter and soelinoid, fine. Hit starter switch again and starter engaged and quit. Tryed it again, nothing, hit side of motor, click then nothing.
    Dropped gearcase and impeller is fine as the motor before it ran hot had plenty of psi coming out of block. I been workin on these crossflow motors along time but this has got me.
    Thanks
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Sounds like a solenoid to me.

I've seen 'em drop out intermittent like...

I've got nothing on the heating up deal though. As long as she's moving water in the block, she should never run hot. You may have a bad sensor there.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

The motor was hot so that rules out the sensor. Could it be the thermostat and I can't do a compression or leak test on the cyl. till I get the thing to turn over. Thanks turbo anyway
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

You can turn her over with a rope on the flywheel if you want to do a comp check.

I've also seen starters with a bad spot on the armature causing them to stick in a certain position and forcing an intermittent start.

On the starter problem: Jump the solenoid with a screwdriver. She should start, if not, check connections at the starter. If you've got voltage at the starter, pull the starter. Rebuild.

On the overheating issue: If the thermostat isn't opening, then you're not going to have any water circulating through the block... I thought you had good water coming out...?

Note: Just because it's coming out of the pee hole, doesn't necessarily mean that it's circulating through the block. The bulk of the water that is flow'd through the block will come out in the midsection. I suspect you've got a bad thermostat or you've got a dirtdobber friend somewhere in that block.

You need to get her started first and then worry about the cooling issue.

It's an Evinrude. She'll start.
    Last edited by turbo; 09-27-2011 at 02:17 PM.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

After the click the voltage drops from 12.5 to 10.1, hmmmmmm. selonoid I bet
    I no it will crank cause it has now it want.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    On the overheating issue: If the thermostat isn't opening, then you're not going to have any water circulating through the block... I thought you had good water coming out...?

Note: Just because it's coming out of the pee hole, doesn't necessarily mean that it's circulating through the block. The bulk of the water that is flow'd through the block will come out in the midsection. I suspect you've got a bad thermostat or you've got a dirtdobber friend somewhere in that block.
    If I could poke in here...

How do you tell if you've got the "right" mix of water flowing through the block vs. the pee hose?

I've got a '93 25 HP Johnson - electric start - so it's basically the same motor.

Thanks.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

If it's peein', it's likely flowing water. I don't know the exact design of the cooling systems on any of the manufacturers, but I've been told that "just because she's peeing doesn't mean she's cooling".

You can run it out of the water with the hose on. Cut the hose off a second or two before you cut the motor off and then cut the motor off. If you've got water running out of the exhaust ports on the midsection and prop, then you're getting water through the midsection.

You can fully remove the thermostat. She won't flow the same pressure, but you'll know she's flowing.

The only time this might not be the case is if the motor sits up for a while where insects and mice can make homes in the motor's orifices.
    Last edited by turbo; 09-27-2011 at 03:56 PM.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

If it's peein', it's likely flowing water. I don't know the exact design of the cooling systems on any of the manufacturers, but I've been told that "just because she's peeing doesn't mean she's cooling".

You can run it out of the water with the hose on. Cut the hose off a second or two before you cut the motor off and then cut the motor off. If you've got water running out of the exhaust ports on the midsection and prop, then you're getting water through the midsection.

You can fully remove the thermostat. She won't flow the same pressure, but you'll know she's flowing.
    This is great info. Thanks.

The only time this might not be the case is if the motor sits up for a while where insects and mice can make homes in the motor's orifices.
    I never thought about mice getting in, I've only dealt with mud daubers and usually block them with a golf tee in the end of the hose.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

If you've got water running out of the exhaust ports on the midsection and prop, then you're getting water through the midsection.

Not always the case if you're running on muffs, right? Some motors may need back pressure from being totally submerged/run.
    Last edited by Chessbay; 09-27-2011 at 04:33 PM.

Drduck, how long had you been running the motor when it overheated? When is the last time the impeller was replaced?

D it's been awhile but I done got the old one in hand and no outa specs\'s at all. The fin's got bout straight and I pulled the hose off the block when it would run. Put a new impeller in this afternoon but did not put the gearcase back on cause, the motor will not turn over. I will advise when I, WE figure it out. The motor runs bout 2-3 times a week soooooooo it ain't like it's been sittin up and the OLD IMPELLER IS FINE. yall. Voltage drop after the CLICK to the starter and the selionoid and takes time to build back up after I hit the side of the motor CLICK! fukiin selionod is bad I bet. Will post up the problem or make a offer.