Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Safety Harness?

Default New Safety Harness?

I am looking for a new safety harness. Looking for something that is very simple to put on, light weight and not bulky. What have you found to be the best out there?
    Low country redneck who moved north

I've been through several and finally ended up with one that came free with a tree stand. It has minimal buckles, can be donned without loosening any buckles and doesn't cover any more than necessary.

The HHS vests and similar styles cover too much clothing and make it even more miserable to hunt in hot humid weather. Buckles make noise when they hit the stand or the bow. The harness I'm using can be slipped into from the back without making any adjustments. It doesn't tangle like others I've used.

One thing I also worry about is how hard it would be to get out of the harness in a worst case scenario. You don't have a lot of time to get out of a harness before your legs go dead. I can slip out through the back and get my legs free while holding the restraint line. The ones that open from the front can be tricky to get your legs free from.

i have the HSS vest. i use it everytime i bowhunt and love it. it is THE easiest full body harness out there to put on and take off.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

Anyone know much about the Controled Desent type harnesses?
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Anyone know much about the Controled Desent type harnesses?
    I was at the ATA show last year in Indianapolis when they debuted the tree spider harness.

It's the cat's ass. When I get tired of/lose/give away my HSS, that's what I'll be wearing.

You can get it as a vest (which I prefer) or as a harness that can be worn over/under whatever you may be wearing that day.

The "Live Wire" add on is the controlled decent package. I could see where it would be useful, but not necessary. You can use this live wire system with ANY harness that you may already have.

I met a few of their guys at the show and they seemed to be getting a lot of attention there.

Link for Salty...
    Last edited by turbo; 09-27-2011 at 10:53 AM.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

I have the HSS pro series vest and it is nice, albeit a little bulky. But it works nicely in early season over my leafy pullover as well as late season bow hunting with a thick coat.

I think this is a little more in line with what you are looking for:
    http://www.huntersafetysystem.com/st...ltra-lite.html

There used to be a selt belt type mechanism you could buy that would break a fall and you could use it going up the stand and back down. I bought one and it was pretty damn nice. Not sure if they are still made today or not.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    The "Live Wire" add on is the controlled decent package. I could see where it would be useful, but not necessary. You can use this live wire system with ANY harness that you may already have.

http://robinsonoutdoors.com/shopping...tem__LIVE.aspx
    I like this 'Live Wire' accessory, although I've rigged myself up with an extra safety rope and carabineers so that I can let myself down under my own control if necessary.

Also carry two straps that I can attach to my waist hoops and use to stand in to relieve any pressure on the legs... which is what kills you due to lack of circulation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    There used to be a selt belt type mechanism you could buy that would break a fall and you could use it going up the stand and back down. I bought one and it was pretty damn nice. Not sure if they are still made today or not.
    This is what you're talking about...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Hunting-Treestands/Safety-Restraints-Harnesses|/pc/104791680/c/104783580/sc/104639580/Fall-Guy-20-Retractor/712609.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FN %3D1102321%26WTz_l%3DSBC%253BBRprd1206161&WTz_l=SB C%3BBRprd1206161%3Bcat104639580

I changed to the HSS Ultra Lite Harness last year (linked above and now on sale at Cabelas for $89.99). It only weighs about 2 lbs and is really comfortable.

Another great option is the Gorilla harness.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

SOP from Summit. If it is too complicated then you might need to stay out of trees period.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    SOP from Summit. If it is too complicated then you might need to stay out of trees period.
    THIS
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

I use the HSS vest once it cools off and really like the pockets for grunt calls, flashlights, etc.

I recently started using the Tree Spider for warm weather (not the vest) and like it as well. The reason I chose if over the others is that it does not a belt buckle to make noise and the saftey strap stretches somethwhat like a bungee cord.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Woodie, that is it! I didn't think they were still being made. Mine worked good about ten times then quit. I've had it a few years and remember paying only around $50 at the time. I ought to send it back and get it fixed. The thing was awesome when it worked.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I use the Seat O The Pants harness. Unfortunately, I sometimes climb 40+ feet, so getting down is a nut I've been trying to crack...
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I have the HSS pro series now but I think next time I am gonna let my safety harness be for safety and let my pack be for storage.....not combine em up.

the HSS is great for the time being but I like the idea of the freeness of the muddy
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    I use the Seat O The Pants harness. Unfortunately, I sometimes climb 40+ feet, so getting down is a nut I've been trying to crack...
    Summit has to answer you are looking for on their website.

I had a friend tell me you had 7 minutes before your legs started "Dying" if you were hanging by a harness. Is this a true statement or B.S?
    Low country redneck who moved north

Tree Spider sucks! 2 cents

The new muddy harness. Check it out, it has a feature that will reduce your body weight with a foot stirrup that will take your body weight out of the equation. The SOP harness is good also.

Quote Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
    I had a friend tell me you had 7 minutes before your legs started "Dying" if you were hanging by a harness. Is this a true statement or B.S?
    Not sure about the time but suspension trauma is a true killer
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    I like this 'Live Wire' accessory, although I've rigged myself up with an extra safety rope and carabineers so that I can let myself down under my own control if necessary.

Also carry two straps that I can attach to my waist hoops and use to stand in to relieve any pressure on the legs... which is what kills you due to lack of circulation.
    Quote Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
    Yes, it is only a matter of minutes before your blood volume pools in the legs, which can cause you do lose consciousness... and ultimately die. Your weight and harness style can also impact the length of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by budro westmoreland View Post
    The new muddy harness. Check it out, it has a feature that will reduce your body weight with a foot stirrup that will take your body weight out of the equation. The SOP harness is good also.
    You can add a foot stirrup to any harness with side loops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    SR, check this out...

I recommend that everyone view this video, and specifically pay attention at around 2:30 min.

With 11mm climbing rope and a couple of carabineers and a 'Figure-8 Descender', anyone can set up their own self-descending rope system. Check with a rock climbing shop.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 09-28-2011 at 09:58 AM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'