Thread: Experiment

I've got a pond that the bottom is turning over in from being flooded (beavers) at full pool since approx. 1991. Anyhow, the weeds, some of which is smartweed [img]graemlins/tapdance.gif[/img] have begun to grow on these floating "islands", so we filled in the holes with Jap Millet. It is green as it can be and up to about 8" or so. Seeded it about three weeks ago. Do y'all reckon it will make seed under those conditions? I have no idea how thick the floating masses are. They are comprised of some soil and matted vegetation/roots. I hope it adds some variety to the bladder wart, smartweed, and acorns currently available in the pond. I'm also thinking about corning the suker up until around the first of November to keep the ducks off the natural vegetation as long as possible. The woodrows would probably demolish the food if I don't do something-they're in there pretty thick right now.

Don't know much if anything on the aquaculture ?'s but I do agree on the gold until early November. Never fails does it? [img]graemlins/bait.gif[/img]

So far, so good on the millet. It's growing well. I thought that if the mats would support smartweed, they would also grow jap millet.