Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Excel vs Xpress

I stopped by Muddy Bay Marine on my way back from Columbia and looked at the Xpress Drake and Excel F4 side by side. I thought they looked a lot alike. I still think I liked the Excel F4s they had, but that Xpress Drake was a good looking boat as well.

Ima call a no go at muddy bay. I have the shallow water F4 and it has the triple taper chines. Have the pics to prove

triple taper is about as close to round as it gets, they both serve the same purpose
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I gotta correct myself. You CAN get a low front deck with the Excel Viper DB cause that model has the tank in the back. They put the high deck on the models with the hunt deck cause the tanks up front on them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

That triple taper hull handles like a champ with a MM too. That's what it was made for.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    That triple taper hull handles like a champ with a MM too. That's what it was made for.
    Yep.

Mine likes to slide a little (read A LOT) with the 90, but that's b/c I'm strollin'...
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Turbo, you running a 90 outboard on a triple taper hull?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yep. The 2008 model of this boat.

http://www.excelboats.net/Shallow%20Water%20Series.html

I bought it from my Uncle (read stole it from my Uncle) for less than half of what he paid for it less than two years prior.

It had a 35 MB on it that I sold to a young feller on here. It now has a built 90 Hammer on it and will tote the mail cuz...
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

I reckon I need to check the product review/boats/etc forums more often. That muddy bay/mudgator/backwater fella has been busy.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

What size is your boat Turbo? I'm looking at the Viper Stalker in 1860 or 1960 with center console and a 115hp Merc Opti Pro XS, but I like the fact that your model has the gas tank under the bow instead of in the rear. I'm assuming you're running a tiller steer as well. I don't want the flat bottom on mine though. A shallow vee hull is still better than no vee in my opinion. A big Viper F4 model with a tiller 90 Opti could be a sweet rig too!

Also what's a ballpark top speed on your rig? The CC 1960 with a stock 90hp Hammer supposedly runs 52mph. If your motor is built it should absolutely rip!!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    What size is your boat Turbo? I'm looking at the Viper Stalker in 1860 or 1960 with center console and a 115hp Merc Opti Pro XS, but I like the fact that your model has the gas tank under the bow instead of in the rear. I'm assuming you're running a tiller steer as well. I don't want the flat bottom on mine though. A shallow vee hull is still better than no vee in my opinion. A big Viper F4 model with a tiller 90 Opti could be a sweet rig too!

Also what's a ballpark top speed on your rig? The CC 1960 with a stock 90hp Hammer supposedly runs 52mph. If your motor is built it should absolutely rip!!

Tiller steer is the only way to fly friend.

I want to know what kind of pad is on the bottom of that Viper that's running 52 w/ a stock 90 Hammer. I'll have to see that gps for myself to believe that... These are heavy boats.

I'm running "about 50"...

She does "absolutely rip". When you're running anywhere 45+mph around a shallow bend on the Wateree with a tiller in your hand while the boat's buckin' like a pissed off Brahma bull b/c she won't stop skippin, you've got a damn'd ole handful cuz. WHAT?!
    Last edited by turbo; 09-30-2011 at 10:09 AM.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

From the pictures the rear of the hull only has a slight vee to it. Its supposed to get it's lift from the reversed chines. The rep from Excel called me and said that they developed a pad style hull prototype. They didn't see enough difference from a performance standpoint to continue with the pad hull project. He told me that the Excel Viper hull will perform comparably to an Xpress Hyperlift.

My old 1650 Hyperlift with a tiller steer 50hp 59ci 2 stroke Mercury would run 44mph. I would expect the same from the Excel if what the rep said is true.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

From the pictures the rear of the hull only has a slight vee to it. Its supposed to get it's lift from the reversed chines. The rep from Excel called me and said that they developed a pad style hull prototype. They didn't see enough difference from a performance standpoint to continue with the pad hull project. He told me that the Excel Viper hull will perform comparably to an Xpress Hyperlift.

My old 1650 Hyperlift with a tiller steer 50hp 59ci 2 stroke Mercury would run 44mph. I would expect the same from the Excel if what the rep said is true.
    If that's the case, get you one b/c I wanna drive the damn thing!

My boat's so sticky with that flat bottom, I'm not getting near what I should out of a boat of that size.

The way I see it, I don't know anybody else around (in a jon boat) that'll outrun me, so I reckon it's fast enough.

D's had a pretty sweet set-up on a 15' jon boat and a 25hp Hammer that would walk the dog son...

You can do anything you want to in these boats if you have two things:

1. Plenty of time and patience
    2. Deep pockets

PS: I can't believe that they hit a dead end on the pad project. They're not doing something right for sure. You can't beat less friction... that is really your only problem in a boat. Get it up and out of the water while keeping it from turning itself into a kite and you've got a speed machine.
    Last edited by turbo; 09-30-2011 at 10:53 AM.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

Turbo, your's has the hunt deck or not?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got the same motor that D's Tees has on a 1542 War Eagle. I believe I have the right prop just need the jackplate and the mods. I know he has hit 40mph and is 8mph faster than me. My motor only has 60hrs on it total. I lucked up and found a 2000 boat motor and trailer that hadn't been used and was stored in a barn. It's begging to be modded but my kids are sucking up all the fun money so far!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I reckon I need to check the product review/boats/etc forums more often. That muddy bay/mudgator/backwater fella has been busy.
    All the same guy? :sneaky:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it is a damn shame too. If he woulda just limited it to giving knowledgeable product advice...but he had to turn douchebag.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Dern

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Turbo, your's has the hunt deck or not?
    Tall deck. It used to have the tank up there. When I put the 90 on there, I took the 6gal tank out from under the front deck and stuck a 12gal tank in the back with me. I left the battery, tools, life jackets, etc. up there.

I've got the same motor that D's Tees has on a 1542 War Eagle. I believe I have the right prop just need the jackplate and the mods. I know he has hit 40mph and is 8mph faster than me. My motor only has 60hrs on it total. I lucked up and found a 2000 boat motor and trailer that hadn't been used and was stored in a barn. It's begging to be modded but my kids are sucking up all the fun money so far!!!
    I'll bet once you put the jackplate on there and start playing with carbs, exhaust, etc. that you'll decide you no longer have the right prop.

Kudos on the motor and boat... That's awesome!

Do the mods yourself. Anybody can do everything except the head work. Test and tune. Take your time. You won't have that much money tied up in it.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Dern