Thread: Flood, part deux

Default Flood, part deux

Flash floods. Stalled Cars. Floating debris. It was all part of a typical Sunday afternoon in Columbia. We were crushed again by a storm that rolled through Sunday evening. Downtown received 3.24" of rain, I believe. Rock Branch Creek, which runs through the lower parts of campus near the Blatt P.E. Center was completely overwhelmed, overflowing onto multiple roadways. Here are a couple of pics of it. Here's the link to a few more pics if anyone's interested.

The drive over this car, I'm told, had to swim out of it to safety.

5 Points
    Last edited by richardp17; 09-25-2011 at 11:31 PM.
    Richard

Dang!
    I'm like a duck: calm above the water, and paddling like hell underneath....

Looked like my office this morning.

3" of standing water...

Shit damn what a Monday.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Damn ... I was about 3 miles away from there during the storm and had no clue it was flooding like that. Wow.

Sorry to hear that b^2. I know that feeling. All of the water just drains straight into 5 points and the other low areas and completely overwhelms the drainage systems.
    Richard

it's been doing that for YEARS! it happened on more that one occasion when I was in school. I'm surprised you got around to that many locations to take photos. Good job on the photo journalism too by the way
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    it's been doing that for YEARS! it happened on more that one occasion when I was in school. I'm surprised you got around to that many locations to take photos. Good job on the photo journalism too by the way
    Thanks, Scott. I am not the most fond of spot news, but when it comes to something different and cool to watch, I'll give it a shot. It was a little tough together around, but a little walking here and there won't kill me. He'll I need the workout.

They installed a gauge at the creek in 2007. It hit the 12 foot mark yesterday..yes 12 feet of water.
    Richard