Thread: snake bite

22 vials at 2 grand a piece, thats crazy

She rushed the kid to Nason Medical Center..

When in a true emergency, go directly towards the ER of your choice, not a "Urgent Care" facility.
    Last edited by cudexter; 09-25-2011 at 07:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Dexter GETS IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII
    :ACC: :ACC: :ACC:

Fuck a snake

Quote Originally Posted by cudexter View Post

When in a true emergency, go directly towards the ER of your choice, not a "Urgent Care" facility.
    x2
    Nason is great for NON LIFE THREATENING situations. If your emergency involves a child or any kind of trauma, go to MUSC.

This is the time of year you will start seeing a lot of rattlesnakes. I have sen 3 over the past several weeks. Be careful around feeders and such. I have gone to a feeder to fill it up and had three of them laying around it. Do not know if they are hanging around trying to snag a squirrel or if they are mating this time of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by cudexter View Post

^^^This.

I have no problem with urgent care centers. They have a place and Nason is a fine example of an URGENT care center. But when the pretend to be an EMERGENCY Department that is a problem.

Poor kid. 2k a piece is cheap. Depending on the source for antivenim, you could be talking $4 or $5k per vial, cost. It is not uncommon to see $40-$50k bills for a snake bite. The cost to the hospital is outrageous.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowcountry Boy View Post
    x2
    Nason is great for NON LIFE THREATENING situations. If your emergency involves a child or any kind of trauma, go to MUSC.

The mother had to drive right past a damn hospital to get to Nason in Mt. P, unless she went to the Nason on Rivers and 526.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

5. Do NOT apply a tourniquet or a cold compress, cut into the wound area, try to suck the venom out, give the patient medications (unless directed to do so by a physician), or raise the site of the bite above the patient’s heart level.
    Can anyone explain why you wouldn't want to apply a cold compress? I would think that would help reduce circulation of the venom and restrict swelling in the area...???
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Default Modern Mom

It is unclear how she identified the snake as a Canebrake with out seeing it.The child is OK tHAT IS the good news.Flip Flops are what makes doctors richer.What ever happened to shoes?Earlier when I was young and dumber I got bitten 3 times by venomous snakes and have yet to have my first vial of anti venom[canebrake-copperhead-moccasin].I am a herpetologist not a doctor.There are some questions on how this was handled.I can not fathom the amount amount of anti venom[not good for you if you don't need it]this child was given.I know people that had massive bites that were given way less.From the picture this was not a serious bite. Does anyone wear shoes anymore???

Do you, or anyone else on here with any knowledge on the subject (the "fuck a snake" crowd please stand down) have an opinion on steriods vs. antivenin?

[QUOTE=spanishmoss;916722]It is unclear how she identified the snake as a Canebrake with out seeing it.The child is OK tHAT IS the good news.Flip Flops are what makes doctors richer.What ever happened to shoes?Earlier when I was young and dumber I got bitten 3 times by venomous snakes and have yet to have my first vial of anti venom[canebrake-copperhead-moccasin].I am a herpetologist not a doctor.There are some questions on how this was handled.I can not fathom the amount amount of anti venom[not good for you if you don't need it]this child was given.I know people that had massive bites that were given way less.From the picture this was not a serious bite. Does anyone wear shoes anymore???[/QUOTE]

Yes, I do. I'm against flip flops on the principle that they look gay. Except when Big Brother wheres them, who is a sasquatch and could squash me like a bug.
    Tell me sump'n. Why you askin' so many jackassy questions?

When checking a stand the other day I walked about 2 feet from a coiled Timber Rattler. Never saw it. It was apparantly waiting for tree rats at a feeder.

One of my boys did see it as he about stepped on it all covered and coiled in the straw. Little rp cleared about 6 feet in one bound.

I have a pic in the phone and as soon as I can figure out how to get it here I will post. By the way, I uncoiled it.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Can anyone explain why you wouldn't want to apply a cold compress? I would think that would help reduce circulation of the venom and restrict swelling in the area...???
    Its been explained to me several times, but I can't remember the explanation to save my life. I THINK it's because the venom is concentrated due to the reduced circulation. It's the same for a stingray encounter though. Ice is one of the worst things you can do for a snake bite of ray hit. Compression wraps are good, but nothing too tight, and no ice.

Ps- hot water discharge from outboards are good for ray hits.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by badfaulkner View Post
    I'm against flip flops on the principle that they look gay. Except when Big Brother wheres them, who is a sasquatch and could squash me like a bug.
    Good save.

My first choice is barefoot. Only work requirements and cold will put real shoes on my feet.

"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    Its been explained to me several times, but I can't remember the explanation to save my life. I THINK it's because the venom is concentrated due to the reduced circulation. It's the same for a stingray encounter though. Ice is one of the worst things you can do for a snake bite of ray hit. Compression wraps are good, but nothing too tight, and no ice.

Ps- hot water discharge from outboards are good for ray hits.
    Interesting. Thanks for the info.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Venom is vasoconstricting.

BB, You might be the only guy on here who is truly "paleo." Gators and flip flops = Paleo. The latin name for your species of caveman is Homo Sapiens Bigus Sackus. LOL.
    Tell me sump'n. Why you askin' so many jackassy questions?