Thread: clearfield vs perdovich

Got about 8 acres to plant. Prob going to go with one bag of round-up corn and one bag of sunflowers. Can't decide if its better to go with the Clearfield or the Perdovich. If Perdovich I got to spray treflan. With clearfield what do i spray? About how much are we looking at pricewise to cover 4-5 acres in treflan vs. having to spray the clearfield? The cheaper the better...but I'm really wanting a good stand of sunflowers this year. I am hoping to get corn planted before the 15th and will prob wait til May 1 on the sunflowers. Any advice? BTW this is a highly concentrated area of johnson grass and sickle pod and they have won every year so far!

I like clearfield sunflowers. I spray Cadre or lightning. 1.5oz per acre. Cadre is $14 per oz.
    Knowing you have a weed problem I would put down prowl and incorporate it in before you plant. Then after you plant just before they are to tall to drive over spray them. You will have nice clean rows. I also plant in 30in rows to let the plants shade out alot of the weeds.

how much is prowl and is it spray or granual? will it affect the corn beside it?

It depends on the type of soil. 1.3 -2qt per acre spray. I would leave 10+/- open between the two crops and spray on a calm day. If you just planted the corn and it has not come up the you can spray it as a preemergent. Do not inc. it where you are going to plant corn if you have not planted the corn.
    You can keep the open area disced all year and the dove will love it. When you get ready to cut the corn if will land on the clean dirt and they love that.

you can beat the weeds by just going with treflan and peridovik. but you better hit the rain just right, so the sunflowers shade out everything else.
    i think trifluralin was around 37-40 dolla for 2.5 gal last year. that should last you 2 years. almost.

what do you mean by last 2 years?

it means you wont need to buy more for two years.

listen. no matter what SW says, he is right.

know that.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

your sarcasm is noted.
    even though i un-sarcastically complimented your stache. twice.

meaning...will there be enough to spray 2 years in a row OR it will last in the ground for 2 years?

enough to spray 2 years....it will not last 2 years.