Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sorry Clemson.Mizzou gets the Nod

JAB is an angry cock but he is right. It is all about dollars. And all dollars are green last I checked. That's why the ACC is already a step ahead imo. Yes football is king but think about how much money college basketball is worth in the month of March alone. Pitt and Cuse are power bball schools and every once in a while they can field a football team. Basically the ACC is seeing the big picture when it comes to this super conference stuff. Think about how many more "local" football players will give Pitt and Cuse a look now as being part of a conference that is on its way to becoming the first super conference. It is a little strange having a team from New York in the ACC but then again it's all about the cash.

Hockey money spends too. I don't know how much cash there is in curling though. Maybe you taters can tell us in a few years after you form a team.

-1angrycock

Sportscenter is gonna give some people a headache this morning.

What are they saying HS?

Rutgers then WV rumors. All sorts of shit that my beer guy is hollaring out.

Quote Originally Posted by beech View Post
    JAB is an angry cock but he is right. It is all about dollars. And all dollars are green last I checked. That's why the ACC is already a step ahead imo. Yes football is king but think about how much money college basketball is worth in the month of March alone. Pitt and Cuse are power bball schools and every once in a while they can field a football team. Basically the ACC is seeing the big picture when it comes to this super conference stuff. Think about how many more "local" football players will give Pitt and Cuse a look now as being part of a conference that is on its way to becoming the first super conference. It is a little strange having a team from New York in the ACC but then again it's all about the cash.
    All revenue from march madness is split evenly among all NCAA teams, conferences have nothing to do with that. The conference tournaments are what bring money for the big time conferences.

Football is different, conferences get paid based on what bowl games its teams go to. SEC always has two BCS and numerous other big payout bowl game, so they get paid more. With all this conference reallignment stuff, this will change what bowls are for what conferences.

ACC did a good job in protecting itself , but it sure seems like picking up the teams it did will do nothing but decrease the revenue per school when it comes to TV contracts even though basketball does factor into those contracts somewhat.
    "Blessed is the man... who makes one word grow where two grew before" - Havilah Babcock

You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” - Robert Ruark

"Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing " -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by 803 View Post
    All revenue from march madness is split evenly among all NCAA teams, conferences have nothing to do with that. The conference tournaments are what bring money for the big time conferences.

Football is different, conferences get paid based on what bowl games its teams go to. SEC always has two BCS and numerous other big payout bowl game, so they get paid more. With all this conference reallignment stuff, this will change what bowls are for what conferences.

ACC did a good job in protecting itself , but it sure seems like picking up the teams it did will do nothing but decrease the revenue per school when it comes to TV contracts even though basketball does factor into those contracts somewhat.

Huh, in terms of TV contracts and exposure, the ACC just picked up the biggest markets in the country regardless of sport. NYC, Philly, Jersey, Pittsburg.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Huh, in terms of TV contracts and exposure, the ACC just picked up the biggest markets in the country regardless of sport. NYC, Philly, Jersey, Pittsburg.
    How many people watch college football in those markets.... about 40,000 people go to Pitt games, and less than 40,000 for Syracuse. If so many people in these areas care about college football, why arent more people going to games.
    "Blessed is the man... who makes one word grow where two grew before" - Havilah Babcock

You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” - Robert Ruark

"Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing " -Benjamin Franklin

Not how I understand it 790. Conferences get more money the further their teams advance in the tournament. Each round the money is split amongst the conferences based on the teams remaining and "points accumulated". That is why the SoCon did so well the year Davidson went to the elite 8. The better the basketball teams in the conference, the better the chances of your teams moving forward in the tournament (or getting in to begin with), the more $$$ for the conference to split amongst all its teams.

Here is an explanation I found from Florida State Fan Website that sums up the basketball stuff pretty good. The bottom line is you want better basketball teams to make deeper runs in the big dance to get more $$$$ for the conference. This is a big move from that standpoint, bringing in two basketball powerhouses that will almost assure the ACC of deeper runs in the big dance by more teams.

Economics of the NCAA Tournament

by norcal_nole on Mar 15, 2011 8:16 PM EDT in FSU Basketball
    The Tournament is a cash cow for the NCAA. Since it owns and controls the Tournament the NCAA does not have to split revenue with corporate sponsors as in football and baseball, and as a result over 90% of the NCAA operating budget is derived from this event alone. The NCAA in turn shares most of the revenue with every conference that participates. But what does this mean for FSU, and since the ACC splits the money evenly, are the Noles propping up other programs or vice versa?

Every team that participates earns money. But the NCAA didn’t want announcers doing their best golf imitation and informing the viewers how many dollars were on the line for each late game free throw. So they instituted a six-year rolling window where the conference results are averaged across this year’s event and the previous five, which diminishes the value of any one game. Every game that an ACC team participates in is considered a ‘Unit’ (with the exception of the Final and the game following a play-in game). So each team can earn a maximum of five Units in any one Tournament, and the value of each Unit is determined by the Revenue Distribution Plan written by the NCAA. Got it?

So in 2010 Duke earned 5 Units for the ACC by reaching the Final, whereas Maryland, Wake Forest and Georgia Tech earned two apiece, and Florida State and Clemson each earned 1. That totals 13. In the previous five Tournaments the ACC had totaled 63 Units, so that plus 13 made our distribution worth 76 Units. Each Unit last year was worth $222,206.

Following last year’s Tournament each ACC school received 1.4 million in cash (total revenue/12). FSU and three other schools brought in only 444K, and by and large the ACC was propped up by UNC and Duke which accounted for half the revenue. In fact, they were the only two schools which had a revenue generated greater than revenue received.
    This year the 2005 Units will drop out, which is unfortunate as it was an above average year. The problem is that we’re only sending four teams to the dance this year, and one is stuck in a play-in game. Obviously a couple teams need to make a deep run. This year each Unit is projected to be worth $239,664.
    Last edited by LowcountryBuck; 09-21-2011 at 09:47 AM.

How many people watch college football in those markets.... about 40,000 people go to Pitt games, and less than 40,000 for Syracuse. If so many people in these areas care about college football, why arent more people going to games.
    Easy. Who wants to sit in 20 degree weather when you can sit your happy ass at home and watch. The fans in those areas aren't as passionate that is for sure, but they will watch games. Bottom line if you pick up households, you will pick up TV share.

Not arguing that point, the markets are huge though. I'm sure many more watch games on TV than you'd think vs actually attending the games. If this is about TV, market share and the money associated, then it was a decent pick-up. Personally, I hate it for the southern ACC teams just because it seems to be moving in the wrong direction and will not benefit my alma mater in the long run.

Attendance suffers bacause of the Pro-Aspect of those markets coupled with the climate IMO. Why would you spend a Saturday watching Pitt play in the cold when you can spend Sunday watching the Steelers.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

ACC uses its basketball tv contract as the negotiating barganing chip just as SEC uses football. Adding Syracuse and Pitt will enhance that marketshare. If they bring UCONN into the fold, the ACC will be unparallelled in basketball. Remember, up until the latest SEC Contract, the ACC had the highest payout per school due to the basketball revenue.

Football may be driving this bus, but all the other sports must be brought along too. I hate John Swofford with all of my soul, but he is playing the cards he was dealt. Basketball is his Ace high, he must maximize its potential.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

I like this. This is good. Taters becoming basketball revenue sharing experts and all. Good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I like this. This is good. Taters becoming basketball revenue sharing experts and all. Good stuff!
    Well we all know if ACC fans are experts at anything, it's bassetball.

As for 790, I'm not sure what he's an expert in.

He reminds me of Matt Millen calling a football game. Dude sounds like he knows what he is talking about, but actually, he's a fucking idiot.

That being said, for not being experts in football and all, looks like we handled the SEC champions pretty good this past weekend.

And since when is Missouri in the Southeast?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

And you've become and all kinds of bullshit expert over this lastweek.
    Bested by Tee. Just damn...

If you can't be a viable football conference, it's the next best thing I guess. Oh well. We'll see what happens in November.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Its funny to almost feel the holier than thou sentiment coming out of Columbia based on all of this. Your team is average at best so far this young season and face it, you're one man away from becoming irrelavant in football once again. Spurrier won't be there much longer, maybe shorter if this scandal keeps getting blown out of proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by LowcountryBuck View Post
    Well we all know if ACC fans are experts at anything, it's bassetball.

As for 790, I'm not sure what he's an expert in.

He reminds me of Matt Millen calling a football game. Dude sounds like he knows what he is talking about, but actually, he's a fucking idiot.

That being said, for not being experts in football and all, looks like we handled the SEC champions pretty good this past weekend.
    I guess I should have said shared among all teams, based on what you found, the word equally would not apply.

I dont pretend to be an expert on ACC/SEC sports and I sure as hell dont desire to be one. I have an interest in it, but that is where it stops.

AHEM

The Southeastern Conference dismissed media reports Tuesday that it had informally agreed to add Missouri to the conference and move Auburn to the SEC East.
    The Birmingham News reported that a majority of SEC presidents have endorsed an agreement, adding that Missouri would become the conference's 14th member after the recent announcement of Texas A&M as its 13th member. The News' story on its website cited two sources familiar with the discussions.
    Earlier Tuesday, the Kansas City Star reported that the SEC was going to offer Missouri a spot in the conference, and would wait until the Big 12 dust settled for an answer. The Star cited a Mizzou booster who spoke directly to a school official. Another source told The Star on Tuesday that an Oklahoma official had said the SEC is interested in Missouri, the Star reported.
    "The Southeastern Conference has not agreed formally or informally to accept any institution other than Texas A&M, and there have not been conference discussions regarding changes in divisional alignments," SEC associate commissioner Charles Bloom said.
    Meanwhile, the Missouri Board of Curators scheduled a public meeting for Thursday morning followed by an executive session. The school said in a release that the executive session would deal with, among other things, lease, contract, personnel and confidential or privileged communications with university counsel.

The Oklahoman, citing a high-ranking Big 12 official, reported Oklahoma president David Boren said Monday the school would decide between applying for the Pac-12 or staying in the Big 12. The source stressed that reforms would be necessary for Oklahoma to remain in the Big 12.
    The Pac-12 conference affirmed their decision late Tuesday night against expanding from their 12-team alignment, leaving open the possibility of the Big 12 staying together.
    The University of Oklahoma's board of regents and its counterpart at Texas granted their school presidents Monday the authority to take action regarding conference realignment.
    Bested by Tee. Just damn...