Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Is DU ruining duck hunting

And it's just that simple. Thanks JAB.

Rice cake DU DOES GREAT THINGS, but we need alot more than just more protected wetlands. The ducks don't have a 150+ years to wait.
    It\'s better to burn out than to fade away.

Yes, and I'm going to Nodak this year. Otherwise, that wouldn't have been much of a sacrifice. Reckon us martyrs are gonna stand alone? My guess is yes. Unfortunately, I think killing the last mallard is more important to most around here than saving the last mallard. We'll see.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Catdaddy posted some numbers a while back on this thread that should have ended the discussion.

155 years to obtain enough wetlands,
    406 years to obtain enough grasslands, to guarantee future waterfowl production. If we are waiting on DU to save us, we are all a bunch of damn fools.

Does DU help Waterfowl? without a doubt.
    Will DU save waterfowling? No way
    It's time for something NEW.
    To me it's just that simple, if DU does not want to change with the times and admit, address, and work to solve today's problems then is time for waterfowler's to put their money with a group that will.
    It\'s better to burn out than to fade away.

2th, what info do you have on how DU has brought numbers up by the actions they follow? This isnt a smart ass question, i would like to educate myself. I appreciate it. I just hope one day that DU isnt the largest landowner outside Ted Turner and we have the simple mallard to become known as the "wild endangered Mallard"... I'll start coot huntin if it even gets close to having any affect on Mallard population! Anyone know how to call a coot? is it" swawk swawk here lil coot lil coot come here......"
    I know I\'m lame cause I have to shoot the tame.

Shutting down the Atlantic Flyway for bout 5 yrs might get that Xmas stuff up in my attic, i am sure my wife would love to hear that!

Figure 5. Breeding population estimates, 95% confidence intervals, and North American Waterfowl Management
    Plan population goal (dashed line) for selected species in the traditional survey area (strata 1-18, 20-50, 75-77).
    Mallard
    1955 1965 1975 1985 1995 2005
    Year
    Millions
    American wigeon
    Year
    Millions
    Gadwall
    Year
    Millions
    Blue-winged teal
    Year
    Millions Green-winged teal
    Year
    Millions
    Total ducks
    Year
    Millions
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

)(*@_(*& #)(+& #_(

it didn't work....but when i get it to work, I'm goona shut all you blowhards up for a while....

2th,

If you are trying to post numbers on population increase/decrease over the past years I already did that earlier in this post to try to draw trigger out.

I agree that numbers may not be down. I think the switch to hip counts could be a problem though.I am not sure since I have not seen how they have collected the data each year for the last 50 years if the counting methods have been consistant.
    \"My idea of fast food is a mallard.\"- Ted Nugent

if i post numbers, all these yahoos wouldn't be able to figure it out. i was gonna post a graph...so it would be easier for them to follow the little dotted line going up and down for the last 50 years....

too bad i can't figure out how to use the clipboard from adobe to here.

anyone?

suffice it to say that the USFWS disagrees that mallard numbers in North America are down.

and before y'all get your panties wadded up bad-mouthing those counts, you will have to bring some more numbers to the table from a different source...i will take the USFWS word on the counts until then. if you aren't killing mallards in your usual haunts, you need to go elsewhere because according to these numbers, mallards are alive and well.

From Duckweb.com

"The duck species has fallen from grace in the past few years due to climate and association with wetland mitigation across the Plains region of the Midwest. We are seeing declining numbers in all species of waterfowl and seeing a great number of rubberneckers tooting thier calls to what is now call the typical trashduck. The typical trashduck seems to have taken a backseat to the all common mallard as the number one duck to bag. Now days, it is not uncommon to find the species Fowlalingus trasheritis to be the ultimate kill for the waterfowler. Interviewed by Sam Iama from DU, a typical hunter stated that ducks were down and that they "needed more trash ducks to kill." The numbers posted on Trash Duck Unlimited seems to state that these numbers are up. In 1999, there were 2 trash ducks killed. In 2004, there were 1,905,403 killed with in a two week span at one club outside Stuttgart Arkansas. The club owner was heard saying," We dont need DU's help, we got the trash ducks filling our pockets." DU spokesman and Japanese translator Jawana Caliet said in an interview by Wine Magazine that " we are taking this trash duck species serious and bringing the hunting to new levels for the American Sportsman. We have dedicated our time and effort to make sure that we are changing our logo to reflect the trash duck species. We are in talks with FUBU and Sean PDiddy Combs with becoming our official spokesmen and clothing line. We have dedicated all our resources for this marketing strategy, and we need more donations from the typical hunter to supply us with capital to make this product work for us."

All i know is, you can't believe everything you read online.....

Sounds like I'm not alone then.
    So far this year my season has worked out to no more than 2 mallards per hunt. Most hunts were a lot less. From now on I'll stop at 2 greenheads.
    Hope this helps, cause I can't think of anything else that will right now. Let me say this to those who aren't considering this as a valid way to do something positive. I won't be congratulating or remarking on those pictures of mallard limits on the tailgate. Somehow, they don't look the same to me as the have in the past.
    And by the way, thank you to StripaSwipa for giving me something else to think about too.
    There comes a point in your life when you realize:
    Who matters,
    Who never did,
    Who won't anymore...
    And who always will.

Skydawg, What the hell was that? And I have a DU/ FUBU sweatshirt in urban camo- I'll put it on the trading post later.
    \"My idea of fast food is a mallard.\"- Ted Nugent

I swear its true, i read it on the intranet thingamajiggy...

So what have we accomplished here? Only a few conclusions I guess....
    Me and Slick are going to save 2 or 3 susies next year.
    Jab might start a new .org (we don't know as he's been very careful not to commit).
    Have your shit in a pile before you blame DU for lack of ducks. 2f and Dman are always ready for you.
    Art is a conspiracy theorist.
    Trigger is an arsemonkey, but we already new that.
    Am I missing anything? Oh yeah, Hammers loves a good fight.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

DUCKMAN is offline Moderator - Traveling Duck Assasin

Good summary!
    DUCKMAN<br /><br />\"If you love waterfowl - support DU and the Flyway Foundation!!\"

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Yeah. GOod summary. CONSPIRACY THEORIST!!!! WAIT JUST A COTTON PICKIN MONKEY. I mean, minute.

I am always a little skeptical of fat organizations. I tell you the truth, I check out an organiztion anytime I donate $$$$. That is why I give to SCWA...THat part was not true.

ie. when the special olympics calls and plays on your sympathies for a donation, ask these questions:
    ARe you a fundraiser or the Spec Olymp?

Oh, I see, a fundraiser. How much actually goes to Spec Olymp and how much to you? You don't know? May I speak to your supervisor? Thanks. (ask question again). oh, I see, 17% actually goes to SPECIAL OLYMICS (this was real)...Most any telemarketers you get, this is the case.

Now, I give to SP OLY, but I send directly to them .

I guess that WAS A GOOD SUMMARY AFTER ALL&gt;
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Amen art, very good summary..

Oh....and Skydawg likes to hear himself talk more than Trad does!

Rubberhead

Stripa Swipa like to point out the un obvious! [img]graemlins/fu2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/fu.gif[/img]

Lets get together and start an organization that focuses it's efforts strictly on the Atlantic Flyway. Close the season for a year or two...or however long it takes, hell we'll shoot the resident canada geese, spare the ducks. Shit something this drastic has got to happen to save the duck hunting.
    \"The problem nowadays is you boys just ain\'t got enough cock and balls\"