Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is DU ruining duck hunting

trigger Coots

You blame " developers, farmers, hunters, highways, fishermen, predators, industry, and the USFWS" for what, exactly? The loss of ducks? Sure and I agree with you that those are some main factors. But that is not essentially germane to this debate.

I am calling out our conservation organizations for refusing to either see that there IS a drastic problem or refusing to admit it.

Surely you can agree that DU nor Delta have even BEGUN to admit that we have lost 1 flyway and are in dire danger of losing another within a very few years.

But Trigger, how do you REALLY feel about DU?
    At least I'm housebroken.

Trigger,

I still do not see the stats. Please help me find them. I do see the following headlines from Google search:

Record number of geese return to flyway
    With an annual 23 percent population increase in Canada geese, Atlantic Flyway goose hunters may see their first season since 1995
    ESPN Outdoors news service- This is probably fairly old.

Blue- winged teal numbers in the surveyed areas were 5.5 million (+-0.3 million), 31% above last year=s estimate of 4.2 million (+-0.2 million) and are 23% above the long-term (1955-2002) average- summer 2003 report

Memphis, July 3, 2003—The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

Overall duck numbers are at 36.2 million birds, up from the 31.2 million birds estimated in 2002. The index for breeding habitat conditions stood at 5.2 million ponds, 91% above the 2.7 million counted in last year.
    ---
    I also noted on the USFWS Trends data from 1955-2003 the folowing populations variance from the long term average breeding pop. est.
    Gadwall- +55%
    Widgeon -3%
    GWT +46%
    BWT + 23%
    Mallards +6%
    shoveler +72%
    Pintail -39%
    Reds +2%
    Canvasback -1%
    scaup -29%
    ---
    I am not saying Delta and DU could not change the way they do things or that that may not be needed. I am saying Change is slow and looking at a long range versus short term when looking at the problems and the solutions.
    ---
    Land equals better populations- thats what I donate money for- there is where I see the difference being made- long term. Don't give the dough if you don't want.
    \"My idea of fast food is a mallard.\"- Ted Nugent

By the way in my opinion we lost the atlantic flyway way back at the start of the industrial age and boom of the Washington through boston megaopolis that has sprawled and taken so much land that habitat has been harmed beyond repair.

Originally posted by trigger:
    You blame " developers, farmers, hunters, highways, fishermen, predators, industry, and the USFWS" for what, exactly? The loss of ducks? Sure and I agree with you that those are some main factors. But that is not essentially germane to this debate.

Just out of curiosity why do you agree that developers, farmers, and industry are partly to blame?
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

We must keep in mind that $$$ talks. If Du and Delta put a panic out there about the state of our sport weather founded or unfounded it could cause a loss in revenue.

Why is it so important to them to recruit new hunters?? Memberships equal dollars- dollars pay their salaries (for staff members) but also
    allow them to do the things they need to do.

DUCKMAN is offline Moderator - Traveling Duck Assasin

Conservation without money is conversation!
    DUCKMAN<br /><br />\"If you love waterfowl - support DU and the Flyway Foundation!!\"

trigger Coots

And Conservation without results is WASTE.

$1,000,000,000 and 70 years= No Ducks

Therefore more money wasted on DU's present strategy will not help the ducks rebound. In fact, it will surely result in further lowering of duck numbers because the DU Membership/Duck Hunters will continue to eat the crap they are served by the money hungry parent organization and will not demand REAL ACTION.

Ok Wigger - duck master almighty - give us the fix and how much will it cost.

My staff is not allowed to complain or bitch about anything unless than have a fix/cure. If they violate this rule they are history. To complain without a fix is Hillarious Cliton at her best. Is this your game duck boy?
    DUCKMAN<br /><br />\"If you love waterfowl - support DU and the Flyway Foundation!!\"

trigger Coots

The fix to the problem I am complaining about is very simple and will cost nothing.

DO NOT SEND MONEY TO DUCKS UN-LIMITED

Either we crush them until they admit the fall migration and Flyways are in serious jeopardy or we begin a totally new organization that will.

You are fired Hillary!

DUCKMAN: I don't know if he ever had a job in the first place!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Trigger,why don't you go audit DU and give us a full report as to where the money that is donated is being spent. While your at it, do the same for Delta Waterfowl. You can give the class a full report.
    At least I'm housebroken.

I see both sides of this, yes numbers are down, i can see that from everyone you talk to all over. I do see that DU recruits more hunting by getting memberships. I also see that DU spends alot of money on projects up north. I dont support DU locally because its all a bunch of crap around here. It has nothing to do with the organization, just the people who run it here in GA(hense all my questions about SCWA earlier this month). But i see on the other hand that trigger is saying that he hasnt seen results from DU, and i can say that is probably true for all southern hunters. Its happening up north where they need the progress... Us southern boys just get scrap stragglers that have been shot over a million times.... Suport it if you want, give all the money you want, but my money is set here in the south...
    I know I\'m lame cause I have to shoot the tame.

trigger Coots

Trigger,why don't you go audit DU and give us a full report as to where the money that is donated is being spent.
    I don't give a shit where they are spending it. They could be spending 90% of it on habitat or they could be spending 90% of it on hookers.

Either way the migratory mallard is dwindling and the flyways are dying. They have failed. It is really that simple.

Skydawg, spending your money here in the South is the dumbest fucking thing you can do to help put more ducks in the air next fall.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Not that I agree with Trigger but I kinda see what his point is, it's sorta like the public school system no matter how much money gets thrown it's way the end results keep getting worse.

But in DU's case I can see their side also. If they were to one day just come out and say; "It's over, it's done, we tried but we failed, it ain't gonna ever get any better no matter what we do", then that would be the end of DU as a conservation org. Maybe what we are doing is throwing that money out there to slow down the rush to the inevitable end?

But I can't be that pessimistic, I have to look for and hope for a revival of waterfowling somewhat reflective of the old days. It'll never be what it once was of course, but if we can make it a little better, then if you love waterfowling you have to keep throwing the money toward the ducks.

I don't want to lose an eye, lung or testicle to cancer either, but if push comes to shove I'll pay to have'em removed before I'll just give up and die!

Just my 2¢
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

where should i spend it then buddy? Your Squaking but your not putting up any info... Start TriggerWaterfowl and see how many ducks you save. My money in the south is going to help our resident ducks, Woodies. Yea we have em everywhere and can only shoot two a day, but they are our resident bird and i plan on helping save that heritage as much as possible.. Triggerwaterfowl will just tell people how much dumbfucks they are and not do anything about it... Geez bro, read before you squawk!

trigger Coots

If they were to one day just come out and say; "It's over, it's done, we tried but we failed, it ain't gonna ever get any better no matter what we do", then that would be the end of DU as a conservation org
    It doesn't have to be that way. They can man up and admit that they have failed to this point and that the direction that they have taken did not work. Admit it and then pledge to TRY to fix the problem. Hell, just admit that there IS a problem.

Either they do or we as hunters should forget the failed and look to create a new organization chartered to building up the fall flight through lobbying of State and Federal Governements as well as hands on applications.

Just burying our heads in the waste that is DU is shameful and dishonors the very sport that we love.

trigger Coots

Yea we have em everywhere and can only shoot two a day, but they are our resident bird and i plan on helping save that
    If they are "everywhere" why would they need saving?

its not your typical greenhead that every hunter seems to think that is the all mighty duck..With that attitude, you have no argument and just need to get off your soapbox. You have all these reasons to knock something down, but doesnt seem your doing anything about it. Hope you read my post above that said i dont support DU, i am doing what you are asking for, like i said read man! [img]graemlins/read.gif[/img]

Whats the new direction? What way do you want DU to go? What is the method that they should be using to correct the problems?