Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is DU ruining duck hunting

trigger Coots

Are worthless groups like Ducks Un-Limited and Delta Waterfowl ruining our sport? Report after report from state after state proclaim that, again, duck season has sucked donkey nuts. Minnesota hunters never saw the ducks. Ohio hunters never saw the ducks. Arkansas hunters never saw the ducks. Louisiana hunters never saw the ducks.

The Atlantic flyway has been dead for more than a decade. It looks like the Mississippi Flyway is gasping it's last breath. Even hunters in Canada report tough hunting and duck numbers down.

Why are we hunters not screaming at Ducks Un-Limited and Delta for an explanation? They send you suckers all a nice magazine every now and then chock full of ads and Pacific Flyway mallards and everyone is a happy camper. The articles are all about selling yuppie shit to yuppie shits.

The DU TV show features gay ex-actors with gay over and under shotguns shooting gay teal over gay hand carved decoys being guided by some shmuck because they can't call a duck.

What about us? Real duck hunters who want just a few mallards to call and shoot over our plastic Flambeau decoys.

After 70 years of taking our money to the tune of a billion dollars, Ducks Un-Limited owes us an explanation as to why they have failed and duck hunting in 2 of the 4 Flyways has gone to maggot shit.

No. Let me rethink that. Obviously they do not know WHY. But they damned sure owe us the courtesy of ADMITTING that it has gone to shit. Instead we just see glossier pictures in the magazine and talk of the old days.

We as sportsmen must demand that our organizations step up to the plate and at least admit that duck hunting is teetering on the edge of oblivion. We should deny them funding until they do so. When the mallard is lost as a huntable species in this country there will be hell to pay.

Another billion dollars would only be wasted by the current Ducks Un-Limited mission. They have failed. It is time to either fund a new organization dedicated to refilling our skies with birds or gutting the current DU structure and making that the prime directive.

So, as you get drunk at your next local DU event, look around you. Look at all the rubberheads. Look at the geeks running the chapter. Look at all the yuppies there just for the liquor and the sticker. Look at the big tittied women fleecing you. And ask yourself- is any of this crap going to put more mallards in the air next fall?

YOU are the RUBBAHEAD!!!

trigger Coots

Well thought out answer by one of the DU sheep.

By brainwashing goobers like yourself DU maintains it's top heavy structure and the ducks suffer. Instead of admitting that since 1937 duck hunting has just gotten worse, your praise DU and it's failures. Chuuuuuuuuummmmm p.

And just how many ducks do YOU put in the sky?

trigger Coots

Send me a billion dollars and I will show you.

What will you do? Fill the sky with SCWA birds and kill off whats left of the wild population with disease?

trigger Coots

Yeah that's what I would do. You got me.

Can you admit that Ducks Un-Limited has failed as an organization for duck hunters?

Trigger, i have to agree with you on one of your points, half the DU goobers running ours around here do it for "political" motivation and back pocket handouts... To be honest, i cant even tell you the last time i saw our whole committee anywhere hunting or even a pair of waders anywhere near em... Guess thats where we fall short cause we would rather be hunting than going around begging for donations to people who have either been screwed over by other committee members or dont even care bout duck hunting in the first place. DU is a good thing, but the dang banquets are just for pressed camo wearing duckpreppies...
    I know I\'m lame cause I have to shoot the tame.

Can you admit that YOU havent done anything, but shot ducks out of the sky without doing something to at least try to help the situation!!

trigger Coots

Germanblower, you are missing the point. The loss of the Atlantic Flyway, the decimation and impending loss of the Mississippi Flyway on Ducks Un-Limited's watch is NOT "doing something to at least try to help the situation".

It is an abject fucking failure. DU's mission did not, has not, and will not work.

I hold DU responsible because so many yahoo's like you just donate money and time to them without realizing that it is wasted, all the while DUCK numbers are dropping like a stone.

If you think that putting a pretty little sticker on your truck and enriching and organization that has proven to be a failure is in the best interest of Ducks then you,my friend, need to get a clue.

Trigger,

On some other string you recently commented on I asked you to produce facts. Numbers, statistics etc. I agree that seasons have been poor recently. I agree that certain numbers may be down. I do not agree with bashing these conservations organizations because you can no longer walk 12 feet from the back of your truck to the edge of the pond and limit on greenheads.

This ain't an easy sport- and the constant cycle of mild and harsh seasons with drought and heavy rains have an effect on our results. Look beyond the last three years to the last hundred and see if the numbers are fubar. Cite specific flaws in the structures of Delta and DU- flaws in their programs. It easy to say we had a bad year therefore the money we gave DU/Delta was a waste. Its harder to contact them and get their feed back on changing the way they attempt to conserve our resources or even more to dedicate time as a volunteer to do counts, manage wetlands and raise money.
    \"My idea of fast food is a mallard.\"- Ted Nugent

trigger Coots

A few bad seasons? Are you loopy? Did you just start hunting yesterday? THE ATLANTIC FLYWAY IS DEAD! Has been dead for over a decade. If you want stats just Google search the Flyway Numbers over the past 2 decades. The stats are there. The ducks are not. You can keep throwing good money after bad if it makes you feel good.

But know that you are part of the problem if you are not questioning why half the flyways in this country do not have sustainable populations of mallards.

If you are not questioning why our conservation oranizations are not standing up and telling the sheeple in their organizations that they have failed and that drastic changes are in order to protect what is left of the mallard migration on this continent.

The reason we dont have the ducks that we once did in the "good ol'days", that I never got to see because I am not that old, is because of the loss of millions of acres of wetlands, predators in the breeding areas, and the pretty liberal limits that we still have even though there are not many ducks to be seen. So if there is to be even a chance to see the number of the ducks in the future as there once was we just need to close the season so that the ducks can multiply and once again fill the sky. And along with that we need to control predators and conserve that the wetlands the we lose each day! And that my friend is what DU and DW does. They conserve wetlands so that the ducks can breed and aid in helping some survive so they can migrate allowing all of us to be able to harvest our share each fall!!

trigger Coots

So if there is to be even a chance to see the number of the ducks in the future as there once was we just need to close the season so that the ducks can multiply and once again fill the sky.
    I agree. Why do we not see Ducks Un-Limited saying this? Why do we not see them even admitting that we are at the most dangerous crossroads since the market gunning days on the East Coast?

We have lost our own flyway. We are seeing it happening to the Mississippi Flyway. Where are DU and Delta? I will tell you where. They are out begging for more money to promote a failed agenda. It is sick to watch and we as hunters must call for a change or it will be too late.

Well if thats your position you dont need to be bashing these organizations you need to talk to the USFW. They set the season dates, rules, regs,limits, ect...

trigger Coots

I disagree. A billion dollars of our money gives us the right to blame the organization that has taken it under the aegis of helping the ducks. They are our lobby. Instead of wasting money on peoples private duckholes they should be putting 100% of the assets into figuring out WHY they have failed as an organization and WHAT can be done to turn it around.

Remember fellows........."more habitat on the ground means more ducks in the air".

I just heard Wade say it again this week.

Who has failed?....I dont think it is DU or Delta. When you look at this, and if you want to get really technical, only hunters can blame themselves for the downfall of the ducks. DU and Delta have helped pick up the slack!! This is because we all know as long as there is a duck season, not only you and I,but every other duck hunter including those from the DU and Delta organizations will be out there trying to harvest what is left of the duck population too. Therefore, we (hunters) are the ones to blame for not realizing soon enough that we should have closed duck season a long time ago to ensure duck hunting for future generations!

trigger Coots

DU is supposed to be our VOICE in all matters duck. Why then are they carrying on like everything is peachy? Duck numbers plummet and we hear nothing but blather about Generation Dux and what the newest gear to kill the last few ducks out there is. We should villify and burn at the stake those responsible.

If Ducks Un-Limited does not want to be the voice of duck hunters going forward then we as hunters should deny them funding and sink our money into a new organization THAT WILL BY GOD!

I blame developers, farmers, hunters, highways, fishermen, predators, industry, and the USFWS...maybe I should just blame human nature.
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.