Thread: When to flood

Default When to flood

I planted part of a pond that I have with browntop millet on 8-10. I planted the other half on 8-25. The first part is about knee high. The second is shin high. The pond depth is controllable, with a max depth of 2'. I will pump out of an adjacent pond that is separated by a levee.

When should I flood the pond? I have a deerstand set up on the field now, but I planted it for ducks.

Thoughts?
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

As soon as the millet fills out I would start pouring water to it. So figuring a week or two for emergence (provided you had some moisture) and 50-60 days for growth I would start around the first week of November. But I ain't a professional.
    cut\'em

how long does it take to get a foot or two deep?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Needs to be ready by November 15th.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    how long does it take to get a foot or two deep?
    Based on my calculations, a foot per day with the pump I am going to buy.

I would say late october early november...
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Thanks guys.I am really excited to hunt over a pond that I planted. I have never done this before. Even if it doesnt produce birds this year, it has been a fun experience.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

a month ago...

depending on what kinds of ducks you expect to get and when you want to hunt it, I would put water on it the first week of Nov. you dont want the birds to eat you out of house and home, but you do want to set the table for them. plus, you can always bait and not hunt...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

My $.02.....if this is the first year and you plan to keep doing the flooded area, don't burn it out. Give the birds time to imprint the area and you will have birds for a long time providing no other barriers keep them out.

I know of a place that use to be planted in corn to the tune of around 100 acres. They did not hunt there for several years but kept the groceries and flooded it every year. 1000's of birds came there every year, year after year. They started shooting it and the birds still came even though the corn is not planted anymore. They don't hunt it anymore but it is an amazing place in mid to late January!

This is in the duck barren area of N. Georgia. Pintails, scaup, blacks, mallets, shovelers....you name it. Several bands taken from the Dakotas on mallets and ringers. Not tamies! Sounds like you have an excellent opportunity! Good luck with it.