Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: You've got mail

The individuals involved with the hotel scheme should loose their job. The whole thing with students staying at hotels is nothing new. I remember my freshman year in 2000, I spent my first semester in a hotel because the student athlete dorms were full. Thing was there was also students staying there because the students dorms were full too. We were not staying at the the fucking whitney though!
    Originally posted by scfisherman143: "we mostly have woodies and teal but today we had workable big ducks allot of them ringnecks buffleheads redheads teal woodies it was amazing\"<br /><br />Another brilliant future duck hunter in the making

I think you are right TnT. The conference realignment will end with 4 Football Super Conferences and a playoff system for the National Championship. The football conferences don't need the NCAA for that...

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    Quote from the Notice:

"In as much as your your institution was previously found in violation of NCAA rules in Infractions Report No. 244 decided November 16, 2005, your institution is subject to the penalties set forth in Bylaw 19.5.2.3."

Bylaw 19.5.2.3.

"(a) The prohibition of some or all outside competition in the sport involved in the latest major violation for one or two sports seasons and the prohibition of all coaching staff members in that sport from involvement directly or indirectly in any coaching activities at the institution during that period."

I know, I know, they will never award the DEATH PENALTY again. But isn't it nice just to be nominated.
    I feel sorry for you!
    Originally posted by scfisherman143: "we mostly have woodies and teal but today we had workable big ducks allot of them ringnecks buffleheads redheads teal woodies it was amazing\"<br /><br />Another brilliant future duck hunter in the making

Hitler and Stalin would be so very proud of the NCAA Compliance Department.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by dfasano View Post
    The compliance dept signed off on the $14.59/day rate for the football players. The NCAA stated $57/day (4x if more) would be the average rate to use.
    Then even though the NCAA won't require it, The head of that department and whoever signed off on it if not the head should be fired. I know that there are a lot of athletes at a D-1 school like USC to keep track of, and if it had JUST been the track kids that were living at the Whitney I could understand missing it, but not major football players. The coaching staff bears some responsability as well. Let's be honest, they may have been told it was OK by the Compliance Deptartment, but they should have known that the whole situation was fucked up as a box of crickets from the get go.

I can't stand the NCAA as much as the next guy, but when this conference realignment happens and they decide to detach themselves from the NCAA, are they going to police themselves?

You think it's messed up now? Just wait.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Agreed Simple Man. I think Texas buying their own TV network set this shit all off, and it will only devolve from here...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Then even though the NCAA won't require it, The head of that department and whoever signed off on it if not the head should be fired. I know that there are a lot of athletes at a D-1 school like USC to keep track of, and if it had JUST been the track kids that were living at the Whitney I could understand missing it, but not major football players. The coaching staff bears some responsability as well. Let's be honest, they may have been told it was OK by the Compliance Deptartment, but they should have known that the whole situation was fucked up as a box of crickets from the get go.
    I agree with you. The compliance dept shit the bed. Heads should roll.

college football now is the stepping stone for "Student Athletes" to the NFL. You are pretty much going to see it turn into a NFL version of Minor leagues like in MLB. These kids will be seeing money and benefits from high school till they retire from the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Trail'nTree View Post
    Whats is funny about the whole thing, the "SAM" foundation that they are investigating had athletes go to many different Universities. Just so happened the founders are USC grads. Guess what Clemson folk, they also helped athletes with visits to Tatertown. Do you not think Mr. Gordon and company are not going to turn over that inforamtion to the NCAA also.

Like I said before, who really gives a fuck! This is no big deal, the way I see it, two years from now the NCAA will pretty much be nothing but four letters associated with college football. With the large conference re-alignment and huge media deals, the NCAA governing ability will pretty much be next to nothing!
    It doesn't matter if they turn that info over. Gordon and Lahn are not Clemson boosters so there is nothing improper. Yes, Byrd is the only player that USC got from them, but don't you think they had something to do with Sharrif Floyd's (#2 player in the nation) heavy interest in SC.

I think Spurrier throwing Saunders to the wolves will really help Carolina in this deal. He will be able to say that a future NFL player was held out, and that will go a long way. I am not sure what will come of this, but the fact that compliance signed off on $55k worth of benefits is not good. Carolina also is subject to "repeat offender" status with the NCAA because of the problems from Holtz's tenure. Failure to monitor is no joke.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Also, you can say that it is only a couple of players staying at the Whitney, but the truth is, it was the best players. Some of them lived there for over a year with laundry service and other perks. You can't say with a straight face that that didn't influence other high profile recruits to come to Carolina, thinking they would get the same treatment. If this helped get Lattimore or Gilmore or Jeffrey, it was probably worth it in the long run.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

[QUOTE=trkykilr;910759]It doesn't matter if they turn that info over. Gordon and Lahn are not Clemson boosters so there is nothing improper. Yes, Byrd is the only player that USC got from them, but don't you think they had something to do with Sharrif Floyd's (#2 player in the nation) heavy interest in SC.

QUOTE]

The fact that they provided benefits to any student athelete to visit a school makes it a violation. USC has already stated Gordon and Lahne are not boosters at this point! The kid from UF was suspended because of his involvement with "SAM". Gordon and Lahn are not booster or alumni of Florida. Expalin that one Nancy Drew!

Ouch...........

North Carolina will vacate all 16 football victories from the 2008 and 2009 seasons, and reduce scholarships as part of self-imposed penalties following an NCAA investigation into the program.

Correct, HE was suspended. It was not a violation by Florida. The reason that the Byrd incident is in this letter from the NCAA to Carolina is that they were USC boosters at the time. After this week, Byrd will have served his suspension, and be cleared. That doesn't mean the university is not responsible for their boosters.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Correct, HE was suspended. It was not a violation by Florida. The reason that the Byrd incident is in this letter from the NCAA to Carolina is that they were USC boosters at the time. After this week, Byrd will have served his suspension, and be cleared. That doesn't mean the university is not responsible for their boosters.
    Let me simplify this for you..... "SAM" foundation makes it financally possible for lower class "inner city" kids to be able to visit schools. Once the arragements are made for the athlete to visit, then the University then treats the student athlete for an "unoffical" visit. The problem is, boosters from Universites contribute money to the "SAM" foundation, which then makes it a compliance issue.

Let me simplify this for you..... "SAM" foundation makes it financally possible for lower class "inner city" kids to be able to visit schools. Once the arragements are made for the athlete to visit, then the University then treats the student athlete for an "unoffical" visit. The problem is, boosters from Universites contribute money to the "SAM" foundation, which then makes it a compliance issue.
    I really appreciate your dumbing this down for me, as I am just not quite smart enough to understand it. It is really all I can do to change my own diaper. I understand exactly what the SAM foundation is, and exactly what it does. You have stated that this foundation funded trips for recruits (I'd love to have a name/names) to visit Clemson. You are also assuming that Clemson boosters have contributed to this SAM foundation. I have not seen this reported anywhere. You would be correct that it could be a compliance issue for Clemson IF the SAM foundation paid for recruits to visit Clemson and IF Clemson boosters have contributed to this foundation. I would say that the facts that Clemson has not signed a kid from the northeast in quite a while, Clemson has not been mentioned in any reports tied to this foundation, and no Clemson boosters have been tied to this foundation would make me hesitant to be concerned. You have also shown your complete bias with your repeated "Clemson Sucks" posts. Clemson has plenty of problems on the field, but for you to jump from South Carolina receiving a serious notice from the NCAA to Clemson somehow being improper is quite a stretch.
    South Carolina really better worry about Garcia throwing high over the middle.

I did mention Clemson first as a reference, but then just said Universities from then on. They took kids to schools all over the country for "unoffical" visits. I am not biased towards Clemson, hell my wife is a graduate from there, I just think the majority of the Clemson fanbase is a bunch of fucking idiots. You have just made this point more valid for me, so you can go about your day now. I am done with this one.....NEXT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Who had the over on JP posting in the sports forum this week?

lol - ain't had anything to say...
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

I remember my freshman year in 2000, I spent my first semester in a hotel because the student athlete dorms were full.
    You were a student-athlete? Socializing was not a recognized sport back then.
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

Quote Originally Posted by justpracticin View Post
    You were a student-athlete? Socializing was not a recognized sport back then.
    problem was I decided to become focused more on the drinking team, than sports! The leasons we learned the hard way!!!!