Thread: lime and fertilizer

can you put them out at the same time? does one of the other need to be disced in? i was told that the lime is for next year...not this year....because of timing. can someone explain the pH change then? i am confused.

how about poast? does it have to be turned in? have some spots with some grasses coming up in the sunflowers where we missed it and wanted to save money by not using the CADRE, but using some leftover poast, instead. will that work?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Put the lime in the clay you nut and disc it all up....

once i know the results from the soil sample, i take the info to the local coop and they do the rest (determine application rate based upon the intended crop). if your plot is accessible to a large application truck, definitely have them do it!

i've "hand-broadcasted" lime in a very small and secluded spot before and IT WAS FRICKIN' HARD WORK! it takes a lot of lime to improve the soil's pH.

i don't know exactly how long it takes lime to react w/ the soil, but it's within a few months (not a year). therefore, i'd say late lime application is better than no application.

it is very important to work the lime in the soil, so i usually make 2-3 passes w/ a roto-tiller (deep discing would be better).

i don't believe there's any problem w/ applying lime and fertilizer at the same time as long as you immediately disc the soil after broadcasting (to slow fertilizer denitrification).

here's a good website for you:

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/compost/452-702/452-702.html

We lime a couple of weeks before we plant our summer grazer, and a couple of weeks before our winter grazer. We brodcast fertilizer as needed before each rain...
    It's not rocket science 2fee...
    ----------------------------------<br />I\'m getting worser!!!

Originally posted by 2thDoc:
    can you put them out at the same time? does one of the other need to be disced in? i was told that the lime is for next year...not this year....because of timing. can someone explain the pH change then? i am confused.

how about poast? does it have to be turned in? have some spots with some grasses coming up in the sunflowers where we missed it and wanted to save money by not using the CADRE, but using some leftover poast, instead. will that work?
    Yes, both can be put out at the same time. The lime will not have the ph completely corrected for about 9 mos. The lime will start breaking down immediately but it's a slow process.
    Slightly(shallow) disking in will be ok and prevent being washed away by a downpour.

Poast-...........is not a preemergent. It needs to be applied direct to the grass leaves. It will not hurt the sunflowers, so you can flood spray it.

well then, catdaddy....

if our biggest problem weed in the sunflowers is a grass, why are we spending upwards of $30/acre to spray cadre?

(i will show them to you thursday at the meeting. duck pond, too. duck pond corn looks great except where hogs got it. otherwise, we have done well all by ourselves this year with new planter...thanks to my dad and all his time OFF from work)

I don't know anything about Cadre, but poast kills grass and does a good job of it.

So are y'all saying you can spray poast on any sunflowers or they have to be herbicide resistant?

cadre is in place of beyond for the clearfield variety of sunflower....not that that helps.

mirro-yes. poast is a selective herbicide for grasses...not broadleafs. we usually use it on bean plots, hence the leftover we will use on the sunflowers.

I was just reading up on that. We plant RR Soybeans but they are in different plots than the sunflowers. Now I gots total weed control!!

If grasses are your major problem dont waste the money on Cadre, and be careful because cadre hangs around in the soil for a long time, and has some lengthy plant back restrictions. The time factor for your lime is based mostly on the grade you got, finer the lime, quicker the neutralization.
    "It's a numbers game" - Mac Owen
    Endangered: Farmers, Watermen, and Rural Life

Originally posted by mirroman:
    I was just reading up on that. We plant RR Soybeans but they are in different plots than the sunflowers. Now I gots total weed control!!
    Pigweed can still be a problem.

The freakin stickers are our main problem.

burn those bastards, use treflan in your soil prior to planting, and hold off on planting the beans until you can spray roundup PRE and POST planting.

We burnt the past 2 years and "pretty" much got them under control. With the RR Beans we have had no problem with them. The Roundup stings the shit out of the stickers.. It is just the sunflower patches I am concerned about this year. I am assuming poast will handle the stickers??? [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

MM,
    Are you referring to sand spurs?

poison
    burn
    lime
    disc
    plant
    poison
    fertilize
    poison
    fertilize
    shoot wall hanger!!!

Yes.. they have heads that can get to 6" long and covered with stickers (seed)...
    After the farmer picks his corn we have 900 acres of sticker fields. We have gotten our food plots mostly under control, and the farmer has begun spraying after he picks as well...
    But, I have heard the sticker seed can lay dormant for 3 or 4 years...

Sand spurs do well in acidic soils. You also can get them under control by getting the proper ph using lime. The presense of sand spurs indicates a ph problem.(Might mention that to the farmer)

Poast will kill them in sunflowers.

And as you already know roundup with your beans works great on them.

Since there are a lot of people on here that are concerned with herbicides and weeds and its is very hard to stay knowledgeable about new herbicides, here are a few links that everyone should save as favorites.

http://www.ppws.vt.edu/weedindex.htm

http://www.cdms.net/manuf/manuf.asp
    "It's a numbers game" - Mac Owen
    Endangered: Farmers, Watermen, and Rural Life