Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My fucking shoulder

yeah BB once you loosin that puppy up your screwed... it wasnt until last year i finally gained respect for shoulders.. bc once they are broke they will never be the same..

i will say though working the smaller muscles with resistance training and (sounds gay but it works) YOGA will really help the larger muscle groups support the weight and keep things alot more stable around the joints.. before BUDs the Navy made us do 3months of hot yoga or what they called "combat stretching" before we went into training... it really helped out..

Okay. So I'm going on record here that committing jihad on my shoulder wasn't that great of an idea. But I think I made my point. I miss going to the gym more than I'm bothered by the shoulder pain. Ice and ibuprofen last night, PT this morning, and then its back for more punishment and injury this afternoon.

In addition to the shoulder carnage, I did squats as deep as I could go concentrating on perfect form. Butt out, lumbar curve, knees over toes, the whole enchilada. I started light at 150lbs for 20 reps, 15 reps, 10 reps, and 5 reps. The idea is to do this twice a week for about two months, adding 5 pounds each time to bump the max squat and number of reps. I modified it from a routine they used last year by adding 30 more reps to the workout. A little overdone perhaps, but nothing exceeds like excess...not to mention that I'm going for the quadzilla look. Chicks dig that shit, right?

Yeah. I'll be sore as fuck tomorrow.

I also did the Recon Ron work out for pull ups. I'm on week 5....I think. Did 8 dead hangs first set, 7 the second, then 5, 5, and 5, unbroken of course. Great way to increase reps for any movement. HSPU's in particular.

Then it was off to the GHD for 40 sit ups and 40 hip extensions.

I'd say overall I pretty much fucked myself up yesterday. Feels great.

"The idea is to do this twice a week for about two months, adding 5 pounds each time to bump the max squat and number of reps. I modified it from a routine they used last year by adding 30 more reps to the workout. A little overdone perhaps, but nothing exceeds like excess...not to mention that I'm going for the quadzilla look. Chicks dig that shit, right?" (FISH)

Fish...I know you didn't ask but...hitting the same muscle group twice a week (squats or any other strenuous exercise) is absolute fucking hell on the joint involved and it hardly gives you time for those muscles torn to shit by said exercise to recover and grow back, good form or not.

I hate to give unsolicited advice (who am I kidding) but my shoulders and knees and hips don't hurt nearly as bad as they used to now that I only hit each muscle group once a week (and only squat twice a month, albeit heavy). Plus, I'm bigger and stronger than when I was overtraining. FWIW. Less is more. The enemy of good is better.
    Last edited by badfaulkner; 09-13-2011 at 09:34 AM.

I like less as more, as well. I try to work out only when drinking, eating and having sommersault sex. So far, so good!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Quote Originally Posted by badfaulkner View Post
    "The idea is to do this twice a week for about two months, adding 5 pounds each time to bump the max squat and number of reps. I modified it from a routine they used last year by adding 30 more reps to the workout. A little overdone perhaps, but nothing exceeds like excess...not to mention that I'm going for the quadzilla look. Chicks dig that shit, right?" (FISH)

Fish...I know you didn't ask but...hitting the same muscle group twice a week (squats or any other strenuous exercise) is absolute fucking hell on the joint involved and it hardly gives you time for those muscles torn to shit by said exercise to recover and grow back, good form or not.

I hate to give unsolicited advice (who am I kidding) but my shoulders and knees and hips don't hurt nearly as bad as they used to now that I only hit each muscle group once a week (and only squat twice a month, albeit heavy). Plus, I'm bigger and stronger than when I was overtraining. FWIW. Less is more. The enemy of good is better.
    uh huh. I agree. If you are doing a few reps here and there, have at it. If you are going to tear your muscle to shreds then give it time to heal and rebuild each week. Especially if you are trying to add size and strength.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    I'm addicted to CrossFit. I freely admit it. And like all addictions, there are consequences. The consequences of this addiction is a fucked up left shoulder.

Rewind to 5 months ago, my shoulder was hurting like hell during WODs with heavy shoulder to overhead movements. It only hurt during the descending movement in the last part of the motion. I went to the doctor, was told the pain was caused by a weak rotator cuff, went to PT, did the prescribed excercises, rotator cuff muscles got stronger and I ovecame it. No more pain.

Fast forward three months. Something weird and slow progressing has been happening with that same shoulder over the last 6 weeks. Now, apparently, my collar bone has moved out of position where it attaches to my sternum. When it moved, something shifted along with it back towards my shoulder and is now "rubbing" on tissue or bone or something back in there, and was sending all sorts of fucked up referred pain to places where nothing was wrong.

The PT guy is telling me I need to stay off it for a while, perhaps indefinately. Fuck that. I've been out of the gym for going on three weeks now. I'm starting back TODAY. I'm going to do the fucking posted WOD, which included 5 rounds of thrusters and push press at 135# and I'm going to Rx the mother fucker. Ice is cheap.

I subscribe to Glenn's school of thought on this kind of shit. If I'm going to be in pain, I'm going to be strong where it hurts.

despite what the crossfit experts say.... there is a reason you dont find many college or professional weight coaches put a verticle shoulder lift into their workouts... that movement is terrible for shoulders unless you do it at exactly the correct angle.
    Last edited by 803; 09-13-2011 at 10:00 AM.
    "Blessed is the man... who makes one word grow where two grew before" - Havilah Babcock

You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” - Robert Ruark

"Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing " -Benjamin Franklin

I'm gonna have to agree with 803 and Arty boy.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I am with Lab on this un.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by badfaulkner View Post

Pffft. Hardly. Twice a week allows plenty of time for adequate recovery. And to put this into perspective for the uninitiated, that's two additional days more than what we usually get anyway.

We're going to be doing all sorts of other leg exercises during that period because they're programmed into our WOD's without consideration for rest days, joint wear, or muscle recovery time. Constantly varied, high intensity, functional movements is the theme here, gents.

This shit ain't supposed to be easy. If it were, the name above the door would say Gold's Gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Pffft. Hardly. Twice a week allows plenty of time for adequate recovery. And to put this into perspective for the uninitiated, that's two additional days more than what we usually get anyway.

We're going to be doing all sorts of other leg exercises during that period because they're programmed into our WOD's without consideration for rest days, joint wear, or muscle recovery time. Constantly varied, high intensity, functional movements is the theme here, gents.

This shit ain't supposed to be easy. If it were, the name above the door would say Gold's Gym.
    Overtraining is a common practice among non-roiders both in and out of "Gold's Gym." Been there, done that. We all learn the hard way. Your joints agree with me and your muscles would grow in response to what I've said. Just because what I'm saying runs counter to crossfit and muscle and fitness doesn't mean it isn't so. Those fuckers have an agenda that is less than altruistic.

I know, I know, who asked me. Well keep cross training. Rub some dirt on that shoulder, Nancy, and keep training.

We had a saying in the marines: "It's easy to be hard; it's hard to be smart."

That mindset will leave you lame. Take a break and read a Crossfit book or you'll be strong and regretting it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Seriously?

What you need to do, Mary Andrews, is bring your ass to our gym and take a look at the specimens who've been grinding it out in CF for a year or more. Or better yet, step up to a bar and try to keep up.

Overall fitness is my goal. Weight lifters aren't necessarily fit. Often, they're not fit at all from a metcon standpoint, which, regardless of what you've been told, is pretty much everything in the world of fitness. I don't know what your goal is, but laying around on the couch eating potato chips waiting on my muscles to recover ain't part of the deal. The people at my gym are fit. They will leave your ass like you're standing still.

To that end, if you really want to find out what you're made of (provided you're more than an internet know it all), and you'd like to know how you stack up against those over-trained burnouts from the local CrossFit gyms, come on down to Charleston for Integrity's Revenge Garage Games. http://integritysrevenge.com/

Otherwise, just understand that you and I are worlds apart in our fitness goals. Now cruise your ass on back over to the sports forum.

You may know alot, but you no have no idea what my goals are. I care about strength, flexibilty, cardiovascular health and stamina. Just taking a different road. If I had time to hump my ass to a CF gym I would. Oh wait Scumter doesn't have any. Gotta do the best I can with what I got. But it's your shoulder bro. And it's still a free country, so calm down.

You're the know it all round here. I'm just trying to learn the trade. But I did learn some time ago if it hurts (I'm not talking aches, I'm talking real hurt), stop. I'm fit. Prolly not as fit as you, but I'm not the one on the interweb bitching about my shoulder hurting.
    Last edited by willyworm; 09-13-2011 at 02:56 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    You may know alot, but you no have no idea what my goals are. I care about strength, flexibilty, cardiovascular health and stamina. Just taking a different road. If I had time to hump my ass to a CF gym I would. Oh wait Scumter doesn't have any. Gotta do the best I can with what I got. But it's your shoulder bro. And it's still a free country, so calm down.

You're the know it all round here. I'm just trying to learn the trade. But I did learn some time ago if it hurts (I'm not talking aches, I'm talking real hurt), stop. I'm fit. Prolly not as fit as you, but I'm not the one on the interweb bitching about my shoulder hurting.

Sumter has a new crossfit out on Hwy. 521 going towards Camden.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

rock on fish.

I'll be back in a CF affiliate when I'm out of school and working full time
    Last edited by cudexter; 09-13-2011 at 08:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Dexter GETS IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII
    :ACC: :ACC: :ACC:

I'll admit it...I tried it...it whipped my ass at first, and the old ladies in the class laughed at me...but I'm in the best shape I've been since I was about 20 and I'm almost 40. My knees have been cut on and repaired beyond belief.....I powered through, and they feel better than they ever have. I don't think it's over training, I think its consistent joint movement and muscle building. It's worked for me.

I'm not a complete disciple yet...I still eat pretty much what I want, watch my portions, and drink my beer. I won't ever be Glenn, but I feel wonderful. Well, I'm 8 for 8 the last 8 days so I guess I'm getting close.....ha ha ha ha
    Last edited by benman; 09-13-2011 at 08:52 PM.
    Founding Member of the Short Mo' Sea Pro Posse

Fuck Purdue

Ice is your friend

Fish,
    If I were you I would stay off the shoulder. Let it heel and you can come back stronger later vs create a possible lasting condition. Exchange the shoulder exercises for something else for awhile. There is nothing wrong with that.

And to points on the days off, I agree. I do my own WODs on M, W, Fri. And run, swim or kayak T, Th.

I added the swimming and kayaking to my routine since I am fortunate enough to be on the gulf and man it is so much fun, I should have been doing this more in Charleston. It is so challenging but low impact at the same time. I would highly recommend it for your shoulder recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    You may know alot, but you no have no idea what my goals are.
    You miss the point entirely. I don't give a fuck about your goals or any aspect of you, including and especially your opinion.

At all.

But the best part of this is.....wait for it.....I wasn't even talking to you.

Dick.

Hope that shoulder gets better champ.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]