Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any endurance athletes here?

You don't have to be skinny to be a marathon runner. I'm 6'5" and weigh 210. You will be amazed of the sense of self-accomplishment after you cross the finish line after 26.2 miles. I ran my first one last year and had my two boys(4 & 7) run the last half mile and we crossed the line together. It ranks in the top five during my 42 years.
    Last edited by froggyo; 09-09-2011 at 11:08 AM.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I don't believe I've ever been scared enough of anything to run 26 miles from it or wanted anything bad enough to run 26 miles toward it.

And I'll have you know Mr. Art that with CrossFit and paleo I am a svelt 205 and have been for a year. So suck on that while you're doin' your tricep kick backs.

I thought I would get a kick out of some crossfitters! a svelt 205lb is a good weight. ...Wish I could put on a few more pounds and stay in my same britches....Hard to add muscle naturally north of forty.
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Quote Originally Posted by froggyo View Post
    You don't have to be skinny to be a marathon runner. I'm 6'5" and weigh 210. You will be amazed of the sense of self-accomplishment after you cross the finish line after 26.2 miles. I ran my first one last year and had my two boys(4 & 7) run the last half mile and we crossed the line together. It ranks in the top five during my 42 years.
    I can imagine, froggy. That is impressive. very impressive in my book.
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Anybody know how tall Forrest Gump was or how much he weighed?

He

Was

Ruunn-niiiiin'

For all you mud runners, we will gladly have you at our hunting club for $50. You can roll in the mud, climb trees, do whatever you want. For $20 extra, I will verbally abuse you while you do it. You get muddy and a sense of accomplishment, and we get better food plots. Win/win
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Doing my first sprint tri in October. My only goals are to finish and to finish "Not last"
    Last edited by flockbuster; 09-10-2011 at 06:02 AM.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

I ran a 5k last year with my daughter because she needed an official time (she's a distance runner in college). She won her division; I did not.

My simple goals were to run the whole thing without stopping and beat the 6-year-old that was being forced to run it by his momma. The mom was "Greenville tough" by the way.

Anyway, thank goodness for the kid's asthma attack in the last mile - I made both my goals.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    which one are you running? Columbia or Greenville.

I am working on getting ready for the Columbia run, but have never done one. Any suggestions.
    I'm doing the one in Columbia - you got a link to the one in Greenville?

Tips - It's not a marathon and it's not lifting weights in the gym for an hour. You'll have to be able to run 5.5 miles, but not in one stretch. I would start putting together some workouts where you run for say 1/2 mile then do some type of exercise (pushups / burpees / pullups, etc.) for say 1-2 minutes - run another 1/2 mile, do some other exercise, etc. Running shoes with a good grip are a must. Adidas has some good trail running shoes that I've been using for the past 4 or 5 I've done. Kanadia TR - I think. Some quick dry shorts that don't absorb a lot of water but shed a lot of it - with no pockets. Double not your laces and wear some socks that are not 100% cotton (get wet and are hell on blisters). Ditch the shirt - it will weigh 30 pounds att he end of the day.

I'm actually doing it twice this year - I'm running early that morning with my normal team, then later that afternoon with my wife and a couple of other girls - this will be their first time. I'm currently working out in my head how that is going to work.... guess we'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

Hey Cedar,

Averaging about 65 to 70 miles a week. Didn't really run any races this year. Kinda tired of the whole race scene. Certainly dont need anymore race shirts. Kicking around a couple trail ultras and maybe this one (www.crematorultra.com) for next year.

Chicago half: temp reached 80-85 and they yellow flagged.

2:20 after helping a guy who passed out at mile 10.5.

Little slower than usual.

I'd like to thank the bagpipes playing for 9/11
    And The girl holding the sign, " you've got great endurance. Call me." at mile 12
    Last edited by cudexter; 09-13-2011 at 11:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Dexter GETS IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII
    :ACC: :ACC: :ACC:

Quote Originally Posted by swampknob View Post
    I saw some fat people in the promotional video..... how is that good promotion for the "toughest even on the planet"
    Last edited by 803; 09-13-2011 at 12:07 PM.
    "Blessed is the man... who makes one word grow where two grew before" - Havilah Babcock

You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” - Robert Ruark

"Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing " -Benjamin Franklin

How the hell am I supposed to know

It looks like a fun event and gives me good motivation to get/stay in shape

Quote Originally Posted by duckduckdog View Post
    I'm doing the one in Columbia - you got a link to the one in Greenville?

Tips - It's not a marathon and it's not lifting weights in the gym for an hour. You'll have to be able to run 5.5 miles, but not in one stretch. I would start putting together some workouts where you run for say 1/2 mile then do some type of exercise (pushups / burpees / pullups, etc.) for say 1-2 minutes - run another 1/2 mile, do some other exercise, etc. Running shoes with a good grip are a must. Adidas has some good trail running shoes that I've been using for the past 4 or 5 I've done. Kanadia TR - I think. Some quick dry shorts that don't absorb a lot of water but shed a lot of it - with no pockets. Double not your laces and wear some socks that are not 100% cotton (get wet and are hell on blisters). Ditch the shirt - it will weigh 30 pounds att he end of the day.
    x2 on all of this but I'd add get a good pair of compression shorts because some of the mud holes/ pits and crawling under logs can seriously....seriously cause you some pain and suffering.

If you do decide to wear compression shorts please don't be that guy that runs in only the compression shorts. I don't give a damn how fit you are nobody wants to see that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Commotion View Post
    Hey Cedar,

Averaging about 65 to 70 miles a week. Didn't really run any races this year. Kinda tired of the whole race scene. Certainly dont need anymore race shirts. Kicking around a couple trail ultras and maybe this one (www.crematorultra.com) for next year.
    Thats awesome and alot of miles. I couldnt compete with that. More like 100-125 a month these days.