Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any endurance athletes here?

Default Any endurance athletes here?

Maybe it's just me but I enjoys long distance. I'm really not that fast of a runner but can go long. Guess I'm just not smart enough to know when I should stop.
    I have the Augusta 70.3 mile Ironman coming up on Sept 25 then The Savannah Marathon Nov 5. Anyone else have anything they are training for?

All I'm training for is the AF fit test so I can stay in. My goal is to run a few marathons, but it's hard to fit the training into my schedule with work, college, home, and a baby will be added soon. I'm like you, I can run for days but even on the 1.5m fit test, times aren't great. Really need to start doing speed work to get my times down.

Good on ya for doing the Ironman. 70.3 miles is a long way to run, bike and swim. But once you get in the zone you just keep putting one in front of the other.
    Last edited by willyworm; 09-09-2011 at 06:42 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I'm working for the mud run coming up next month... I don't mind going fast, but I ain't going 70 miles!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

Man that distance is nuts!! I thoroughly enjoy the Mud Run (we did it in April in 1:03:00)and I did some sprint triathalons in the Charleston Sprint Series this year, but if it takes much more than an hour and a half I ain't doing ! Good on you though...Ironman is damn impressive

Half this weekend and a full in october
    Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Dexter GETS IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII
    :ACC: :ACC: :ACC:

I've never seen a lion just get up and run 26 miles for no good reason. That's just ree-donk-u-lous.

Willy, try tabata sprints. Run/sprint flat out for 20 seconds/rest for ten for 8 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by SCcdp View Post
    Man that distance is nuts!! I thoroughly enjoy the Mud Run (we did it in April in 1:03:00)and I did some sprint triathalons in the Charleston Sprint Series this year, but if it takes much more than an hour and a half I ain't doing ! Good on you though...Ironman is damn impressive
    I did one of the Charleston Sprint series in June. They put on a good show there. Haven't ever done the mud run.

Quote Originally Posted by cudexter View Post
    Half this weekend and a full in october
    Which ones? I'm kicking around doing the Columbia Marathon in march also.

I did one sprint a few years ago in Rock Thrill because my boss at the time wanted me to give it a try. Biking was the easiest part even with all the hills. Swimming really kicked my ass. It was in a pool and some of the people there could hardly do more than doggy paddle, so you had to fight your way around them.

Won my age group but it was only 4 people. My boss who was 60 at the time beat me by an hour, but he does do the iron mans.

My goal is to one day do the escape from Alcatraz. Lot of training before i reach that goal. http://www.escapefromalcatraztriathlon.com/

Running the Gov. cup half-marathon in Nov. and then the Columbia Marathon in March. It sucks they changed the course of the Columbia marathon to a loop course through the city. It was suppose to start in Ballentine and come by the lake to downtown Columbia.

I'm with u on the course change. I live very close to the Corley mill rd section. That would have been a tough climb and would have been around mile 14-17 somewhere. The bad thing about the start finish being so far apart is that you have to get back to your ride/hotel or whatever near the start. Shuttles suck after 26.2 miles. Good luck on Governors cup. Last section is tough.

Quote Originally Posted by duckduckdog View Post
    I'm working for the mud run coming up next month... I don't mind going fast, but I ain't going 70 miles!

which one are you running? Columbia or Greenville.

I am working on getting ready for the Columbia run, but have never done one. Any suggestions.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Creek View Post
    Which ones? I'm kicking around doing the Columbia Marathon in march also.
    Chicago half and Marine corps full
    Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Dexter GETS IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII
    :ACC: :ACC: :ACC:

Quote Originally Posted by cudexter View Post
    Chicago half and Marine corps full
    You will love Marine Corps Marathon. It's huge. Lots of support and people all along the route. I did that one last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    which one are you running? Columbia or Greenville.

I am working on getting ready for the Columbia run, but have never done one. Any suggestions.
    You have plenty of time until march. Just work on your volume right now. Longer runs on the weekends, shorter during the week. Start a training schedule 16-18 weeks out like in November. Run mon. Wed & thurs. then long runs on Saturday. If you run 8 on sat then run 9-10 the next sat. Then 11-12 the next and so on. Never run more than 20. Make sure you keep hydrated and eat good 1-2 hours prior to long runs. Look into nutrition gels. Go to runners world . Com they have a beginners forum you can learn alot from. Contacts if I can help.

You will love Marine Corps Marathon. It's huge. Lots of support and people all along the route. I did that one last year.
    x2 great race!

You have plenty of time until march. Just work on your volume right now. Longer runs on the weekends, shorter during the week. Start a training schedule 16-18 weeks out like in November. Run mon. Wed & thurs. then long runs on Saturday. If you run 8 on sat then run 9-10 the next sat. Then 11-12 the next and so on. Never run more than 20. Make sure you keep hydrated and eat good 1-2 hours prior to long runs. Look into nutrition gels. Go to runners world . Com they have a beginners forum you can learn alot from. Contacts if I can help.
    Thanks for the tips, but I was asking about which MUD RUN he was going to run in October. St. Francis in Greenville or the Marine Mud run in Columbia. I ain't running a dang marathon! no way, no how, no Sir!

Sorry for the misunderstanding
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Oh in that case.......... Just drink alot of beer between now and the mud run then run like hell the day of the race!!!!

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

I wish I had the courage to do it, but I've always been SCARED I would end up looking like one of those long distance runners....or crossfit people. Nothing wrong with being skinny, but I have always had that fear of being skinny and a big gust of wind blowing me over
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

I don't believe I've ever been scared enough of anything to run 26 miles from it or wanted anything bad enough to run 26 miles toward it.

And I'll have you know Mr. Art that with CrossFit and paleo I am a svelt 205 and have been for a year. So suck on that while you're doin' your tricep kick backs.