Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dr. Davis' letter to the Grain Foundation...

My little sis is hypoglycemic. If she has a crash, she doesnt reach for a slice of bread, she grabs a candy bar, or glass of OJ.

With that said, I am no dietitian, nor do I profess to be.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by badfaulkner View Post
    Fiber in the human diet???? If so, that group can blow me until their lips chap. Flax for the human diet and blue jeans too. Interesting? Yes. Appetizing? No.

Murray...I think the "anti-grains" will tell you that dark grains (sweet potatoes, for instance) rather than those using enriched flour or white potatoes will not cause the insulin spike.
    No they use the flax for fiber as in Tshirts. Not consumption. The do us flax seed for human consumption. It's supposed to be healthy.

Back to that sode thing for a second...

These little bastards account for the single largest calorie intake in the diets of Americans, as a whole. Here's a few tidbits of soda knowledge:

For children, each extra can or glass of
    sugar-sweetened beverage consume
    per day increases their chance of
    becoming obese by 60%.

A 2009 California study found that
    adults who drink one or more sodas
    per day are 27% more likely to be
    overweight or obese than those who
    do not drink soda.

A 2009 study found a reduction of
    sugar-sweetened beverage intake was
    significantly associated with weight
    change.

Women who regularly consume
    sugar-sweetened beverages have a
    higher risk of coronary heart disease.

Reference: http://www.yaleruddcenter.org/resour...axFall2009.pdf

But Coke and Pepsi keep pushing to make that almighty dollar and people keep buying em for some stupid reason.
    Last edited by willyworm; 09-09-2011 at 06:40 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    My little sis is hypoglycemic. If she has a crash, she doesnt reach for a slice of bread, she grabs a candy bar, or glass of OJ.

With that said, I am no dietitian, nor do I profess to be.
    Because that is what she has been told to reach for. Borrow her glucometer and test your blood sugar before and 15/30 min after eating bread.

And potatoes are a tuber, not a grain.

And flax taste like a dead monkey. No one in their right mind would choose that nasty shit over fresh vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post

But Coke and Pepsi keep pushing to make that almighty dollar and people keep buying em for some stupid reason.
    They taste good. So does beer and scotch. And skoal. The great thing about being human is we can choose our own destruction.

They taste good. So does beer and scotch. And skoal. The great thing about being human is we can choose our own destruction.
    exactly! And as staunch of a food critic as I have become in the last two years you will NEVER hear me say "there should be laws..."

I don't care what a person chooses to eat or how they choose to treat their bodies as long as I don't have to pay for it. Now all we need are politicians who will allow folks to sleep in the beds they make for themselves and not pass the cost of their self destruction on to the rest of us.
    Last edited by Glenn; 09-09-2011 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    exactly! And as staunch of a food critic as I have become in the last two years you will NEVER hear me say "there should be laws..."

I don't care what a person chooses to eat or how they choose to treat their bodies as long as I don't have to pay for it. Now all we need are politicians who will allow folks to sleep in the beds they make for themselves and not pass the cost of their self destruction on to the rest of us.
    great post!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

If health insurance went away as well as medicaid and medicare, I don't think this would be an issue at all. If we paid as we went along out of pocket for health care. My uncle insists that insurance created as many problems as it solved. Don't even get him started on medicare/medicaid. What are your thoughts on that notion?

If health insurance went away as well as medicaid and medicare, I don't think this would be an issue at all. If we paid as we went along out of pocket for health care. My uncle insists that insurance created as many problems as it solved. Don't even get him started on medicare/medicaid. What are your thoughts on that notion?
    I agree. Insurance has long since moved away from what it was intended to be, insurance for catastrophic live saving procedures. Anything beyond that should be paid for out of pocket, and that includes child birth and weener medicine in my opinion.