Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Davis' letter to the Grain Foundation...

Default Dr. Davis' letter to the Grain Foundation...

What say you? That last paragraph (quoted) sums up his feelings well I believe.

http://www.trackyourplaque.com/blog/...oundation.html

In short, my view on the situation is that the U.S. government, with its repeated advice to “eat more healthy whole grains,” transmitted via vehicles like the USDA Food Pyramid and Food Plate, coupled with the extensive genetic transformations of the wheat plant introduced by agricultural geneticists, underlie an incredible deterioration in American health. I propose that you and your organization, as well as the wheat industry and its supporters, are at risk for legal liability on a scale not seen since the tobacco industry was brought to task to pay for the countless millions who died at their product’s hands.

People were much more healthy back in 30's and 40's when everything they ate was fried...

softdrinks and sugar drinks (liquid calories) are what has made our society fat...
    "Blessed is the man... who makes one word grow where two grew before" - Havilah Babcock

You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” - Robert Ruark

"Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing " -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by 803 View Post
    People were much more healthy back in 30's and 40's when everything they ate was fried...

softdrinks and sugar drinks (liquid calories) are what has made our society fat...
    Yup.

You can also see a parallel rise in the incidence of heat disease, diabetes and obesity along with the push for a high grain/low fat diet. I'll see if I can't find the chart.

FWIW, eating grains, whole or otherwise, produce the exact same glycemic spike as sugar.

What benefits do whole grains have then?
    Last edited by 803; 09-08-2011 at 01:20 PM.
    "Blessed is the man... who makes one word grow where two grew before" - Havilah Babcock

You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” - Robert Ruark

"Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing " -Benjamin Franklin

None that I have found.

Edit: Beyond beer or bourbon.
    Last edited by Glenn; 09-08-2011 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    None that I have found.

Good save, sir.... Good save.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Are you telling me that Cheerios ad is full of shit?

I don't eat cereal anyways.

And, those folks back in the 30's and 40's were doing most of their frying in animal fats rather that vegetable oils.

They also got off the sofa to change the channel...

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    None that I have found.

I'll build a model of both with my Organic Chem kit, I don't think there is a difference.

Easy and fairly cheap grow on a large scale, easy to sale.

Grains are a huge staple in many third world countries. Grains can be grow in places that can grow nothing else.

Grains are in everything. Corn in particular.

Read The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals

Another good read on the subject in a round about way is:

The Informant: A True Story by Kurt Eichenwald - This book sheds some light on how grains got to be in everything, and the Governments and ADM's role in it.

That being said, I am all for grains because it makes my farmers money. I don't have to eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    I'll build a model of both with my Organic Chem kit, I don't think there is a difference.
    C6(H2O)8
    Last edited by 803; 09-08-2011 at 01:57 PM.

Eat your biscuits gents!!!!! Stuff is killing you one bite at a time!

Quote Originally Posted by Back40 View Post
    They also got off the sofa to change the channel...
    The channel to those folks back then was what they had to cross to get to some good hunting, or stretch a net across...
    Last edited by BigBrother; 09-08-2011 at 03:28 PM.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

i havent looked it up, but i thought that whole grains were supposed to produce a gradual rise in sugar and not a spike?

Quote Originally Posted by pee dee View Post
    i havent looked it up, but i thought that whole grains were supposed to produce a gradual rise in sugar and not a spike?
    No. The big push for whole grains is this fiber nonsense. And whole grains still cause a rise in blood glucose after eating causing your pancreas to go into overdrive.

Quote Originally Posted by pee dee View Post
    It all depends on the person's metabolism, the other nutrients consumed with them, and the chemistry of the carbohydrate.

There is a group pushing hard for farmers to grow flax for fiber. They are building a flax processing plant in Kingstree as we speak and are looking for 15,000 acres. The company has contracts with Hanes ad levis. They will use it as a blend with cotton. Interesting. The guy at the meeting said it was better than underarmour.

Quote Originally Posted by ESSO82 View Post
    There is a group pushing hard for farmers to grow flax for fiber. They are building a flax processing plant in Kingstree as we speak and are looking for 15,000 acres. The company has contracts with Hanes ad levis. They will use it as a blend with cotton. Interesting. The guy at the meeting said it was better than underarmour.
    Fiber in the human diet???? If so, that group can blow me until their lips chap. Flax for the human diet and blue jeans too. Interesting? Yes. Appetizing? No.

Murray...I think the "anti-grains" will tell you that dark grains (sweet potatoes, for instance) rather than those using enriched flour or white potatoes will not cause the insulin spike.