Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: River Shacks

Originally posted by DUCKMAN:
    With these groups pushing for this legislation, one is too many. It is my understanding that they have pics of each and everyone with location and GPS coordinates. I am sure there are a few good ones but the bad far outnumber the good.
    Kinda like the dog hunters HUH???
    ----------------------------------<br />I\'m getting worser!!!

Aricks,

Take a ride from the powerlines north of Punchbowl landing to the Big Pee Dee, you will then know what he is talking about. There is now a community river shacks in the big water below Russ' Creek. There used to be only a couple, now they are just as described, Alum. workshop bodies with gas grills and satalite dishes.

There is one just north of Punchbowl in a curve of the main river that covered up one of the best camping spots around.

I will be down there in a couple of weeks and I'll try to get some pics for ya.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

oh and to the political debate, always remember:

"If it can't be Taxed, it can't be legal." - Jozie & me.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

I wish the would get the one that sunk and half of it is sticking out the water at Jacks Creek. It's right past the cut through/hole in the wall.

That crew didn't take out more trash than they brought........when it sank they abandoned it.

that's my worry with this law. you will see a bunch of them sink...or all of the sudden, no one will claim them. might be best to grandfather in the ones that are there and just not allow for others. either way, you're gonna have a mess of them....sunk or not.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

These structures should be subject to the same water quality analysis, certification and permitting procedure that every other structure built in a nav water or wetland has to go through. These rivershacks are built and placed in public areas without public comment or any authorization from any state agency. They fall through the cracks and loopholes in the regs because they are floating structures and can be moved. Rivershacks should be held to the same environmental quality standards set by DHEC and EPA that are used to evaluate every other structure placed in our waterways and wetlands.

Catdaddy, i know which one you speak of, and it is a shame.
    Toofer, I was thinking the same thing(grandfather clause).
    Ya'll know as well as I do, that they won't be taken out by the ones who put them there.
    They will have to be taken out by someone hired by the state.
    I just wish the ones that do abide by the law could stay.
    Hell, burn the rest.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

DUCKMAN is offline Moderator - Traveling Duck Assasin

Toofer - what happens to the ones that you grandfather when they eventually go bad?

If you require them to register then you will have the same problem!

The present bill gives them 5 years to be gone.
    DUCKMAN<br /><br />\"If you love waterfowl - support DU and the Flyway Foundation!!\"

Originally posted by bogster:

Hell, burn the rest.
    When the Heritage Preserve got most of the upper Waccamaw, they went through with gallons of gasoline and matches...all the tree houses got it.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Duckman,
    who is going to make these people remove them??
    How will this be enforced?
    I will be willing to bet that we will see them out there long after the 5 years is up,
    Billybob isn't going to haul his half sunken houseboat out, he'll just pull the stickers off and leave it be.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

poor people own a lake house

rich people own a beach house.

The real poor people grew up on Lizzies creek that would be me.
    Plant it they will come.

Has
    Did
    Was
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

DUCKMAN is offline Moderator - Traveling Duck Assasin

BOG - my point - go ahead pass the law and at the end of 5 years, those that remain - remove them.

Only answer
    DUCKMAN<br /><br />\"If you love waterfowl - support DU and the Flyway Foundation!!\"

Yeah I know.....
    I'm just pissed I'm going to have to move mine.

Da Bogs knows; he just don't always like what he knows. Right, B?

Well said DT.

DT what is the wording in the bill that is being proposed to remove the shacks?

DT

What's your stance on the bridge??
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans

I do have trouble facing the inevitable Tuff.
    Thing is...
    I grew up out there on the houseboats.
    In the early 90's we used to stay out there all the time.
    Some of my best memories out there were coming back to the HB to cook breakfast and pick the ducks.
    There was once a sense of community out there,
    Everyone would hunt the river bank or the flats and come back and talk for hours while cooking and cleaning.
    There have been many a duck calling lessons out there.
    But, hey, I guess you can't stand in the way of change.

No, you can't, but it's sometimes a good idea to stand in the ditch and throw nails on the road in front of it.