Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: River Shacks

"Thats what I don't understand!!!
    Name ONE representative that spends time on Lake Marion!!!
    Just one!!"

Phillip Lowe

DT, how much time do you spend ON LAKE MARION??
    Not spending time at your property, now, ON Lake Marion??
    I have Never seen you Out my way.
    Assuming you use the Summerton side of the lake:
    I haven't seen you at ANY of the landings and I use them frequently.
    Unless you spend time at Taw Caw or Wyboo(which neither are near houseboats)
    I'm gonna have to say NO he doesn't JAB.
    DT???
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Why is it an issue??? [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Why are people aloud to litter the lakes and rivers with such filth??

I cannot believe anyone let it go on this long. [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

BTW, anyone with a pontoon trailer with NO ponton boat PM me.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

I completely agree with Duckman's post.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Originally posted by bogster:
    DT, how much time do you spend ON LAKE MARION??
    Uh, he has a Lake House ON LAKE MARION. Don't start taking after your neighbor and begin throwing bullshit out when you have no idea what you are talking about.

You asked a question- "Name ONE representative that spends time on Lake Marion!!!
    Just one!!"

There is one.

DUCKMAN is offline Moderator - Traveling Duck Assasin

He happens to be one of the best striper fisherman on the entire system! His boys have caught more stripers than most grown men who fish for them!

Be careful bog the ice is extremely thin on this one! LOL
    DUCKMAN<br /><br />\"If you love waterfowl - support DU and the Flyway Foundation!!\"

Come on now Johnny,
    His house is no where near the houseboats dude.
    I guess i need to be more specific, since CheesenutsIII wants to be picky [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/fu.gif[/img]
    Show me ONE Rep. that spends time on the upper portion of Lake Marion.
    ie Pack's, lowfalls,stumphole,
    The high swamp.

You don't like the answers to the question you asked, so you change the question. Hmmmmm where have we seen this before?? Must be something in the water....

He hunted from Wyboo through the upper swamp all his life until he got his own place and got tired of fighting rubberheads.

He is not behind this! The environmental/conservation groups and the different homeowners association.

He WILL cast a vote and you are making sure how he will vote! LOL
    DUCKMAN<br /><br />\"If you love waterfowl - support DU and the Flyway Foundation!!\"

i don't doubt that he has Duckman, I'm just saying I have Never seen him out, and man i live out there.
    It just sucks for the ones that do abide by the laws.

I never incenuated he was behind this,
    I just wanted to know a Rep. that spends time out there.

I'm going to ask the question again. DT, what part of the LITTLE PEE DEE are you referring to?
    31-28, 12-0, 3-2, 4-2!!!!!!!!!

Me and some buddies have had a cabin in the upper swamp since 1995. We leave it unlocked for anyone to use, we just ask that they clean it up. It is registered, we pay taxes on it (even though legally you don't have to b/c it has no motor, but the amount is small). Hell, Leo Morris took a picture of it the day we registered it and he and other game wardens have stayed in it. I haven't stayed in it during duck season in 2 years for lack of ducks, but we do use it during the spring and summer while fishing.

If they make them illegal and we have to move it then we'll move it. I just don't see how they will be able to make them totally illegal, but they should be registered just like any boat.

I will say this, if JAB will give me a free membership to Two rivers, I'll burn the damn thing down myself and invite everybody to a winnie roast.

LMAO!

Good post DT.

Originally posted by Duck Tape:

My parents built a lake house 36 years ago. It was at Potato Creek. We spent most of our weekends there since we were too poor to own a beach house.

DAMN!!!! I wish I could be that poor. That must mean I should be on food stamp then...
    ----------------------------------<br />I\'m getting worser!!!

I'm wit mirro on the tooooo poor stuff. I also don't like to see the trash that people pull out and call a camp. We owned a houseboat we kept in cape romain. It was registered and didn't have a motor. We kept it clean and unlocked and it served as a safe spot for a many a soul. Every year we pulled it to a dock and fixed any problems. When we took it back it was in a different spot. We never heard a complaint. Several times I went to it to find people I didn't know camping. No problems. They should register them and if abondonded they should be fined. Most people wouldn't throw trash in the swamp, why leave a sunk houseboat.
    easy livin'

Well DT, you must have not been on the LPD in 20+ years or so. I freq. am on the river from where The Lumber & LPD (Nichols)meet all the way down to White Oak ( HWY 378.) I have family that has places at Fork Retch, Sandy Island, Knife Island and friends that own property at Davis Landing and White Oak. In the past 20 years, I have probably seen 5-10 at the most. With some of them being the same HB's. In the last 4-5 years years I can only recall 1-2. It may be a problem on the lakes but it's not on the LPD. I think your way off on your assumption of the LPD.
    31-28, 12-0, 3-2, 4-2!!!!!!!!!

With these groups pushing for this legislation, one is too many. It is my understanding that they have pics of each and everyone with location and GPS coordinates. I am sure there are a few good ones but the bad far outnumber the good.

We used to have a houseboat off of Schooner up the PD. We cabled it to trees with written permission from the landowner. No taxes were paid on it. It was maintained...painted every year...and yes we shit in the water through a straight pipe. How many campers bring along a portolet for their camp sites?

We DID keep it and the area clean. The same could not be said of the weekend warriors going to spend the weekend on a sandbar. I recall a thread here talking about the disgusting amount of refuse that various weekend warriors left on some sandbars and islands around Packs.

It seems to me that the people who use the houseboats...floating trailer parks if you will...DO respect the area. Contrary to current opinion, the owners of these river shacks spend enough money on them they wont want to defile them. The ones who have no vested interest in their public resource are the ones who will be the ultimate defilers of your swamp. The eyesores as they are being called are pretty much a perception of those who come in from out of state and build on your shores. These people will bitch moan and complain about anything and everything with NO tolerance...the class of people in the houseboats will more than likely be the class of people to hold river sweeps and take out of the swamps more trash than they brought in.

It always seems the squeaky wheels who do nothing but topple the cart are the ones who get the oil...
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton