Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: River Shacks

River shacks on Lake Marion a blight?

Low Falls homeowners tackle removal of structures used by fishermen, hunters

By LORETTA DEMKO, T&D Correspondent
    Sunday, February 04, 2007

LOW FALLS LANDING – When Jan Pittard and her husband moved to Low Falls Landing in Calhoun County, the area was just a fishing camp, with some weekend retreats located there but no permanent homes. Soon, the serene beauty of Lake Marion lured more people to build homes and live year-round at Low Falls.

Now, according to Pittard and members of the Low Falls Homeowners’ Association, the beauty and navigability of the lake is being spoiled by the increasing number of river shacks used by fishermen and hunters on the lake, and they want the shacks removed.

Environmentalists also want the state to force the removal of the river shacks.

The shacks are usually a wooden deck floating on a bed of 55-gallon drums. The enclosures often resemble the large tool sheds sold at hardware stores. In some cases, old camper shells have been placed on the bases.

Two decades ago, only a few of the structures could be found. But a recent survey by the South Carolina Coastal Conservation League counted 135 on nine rivers, mostly in the Lowcountry, and Lake Marion.

And, the State Legislature is jumping on the bandwagon to have the structures removed, too. Rep. David Umphlett, R-Moncks Corner, is planning to introduce legislation that calls for giving river shack owners five years to get them off the water and punishing the construction or use of new shacks as a misdemeanor with a $1,000 fine.

“We are finding them on rivers where there were none last year,” said Patrick Moore, project manager with Coastal Conservation League and American Rivers. “Unless we handle this now, what has been predominantly a Lowcountry problem will snowball into a statewide blight.”

Rep. Liston Barfield plans to fight the bill.

“I don’t own one, but I do use them. If you’re down there on the river and a storm comes up and you need (shelter), you better pray there’s one around. It could literally save your life,” said Barfield, R-Conway.

There are regulations the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the state Department of Health and Environmental Control could use against the shacks, but they all have major loopholes.

Regulations prohibit permanent structures that impede river navigation. But except in the cases of a few shacks bolted to trees, the owners could simply untie their structures and float down the river, claiming each site is temporary.

DHEC also could enforce sewage regulations because most of the shacks have sinks and toilets that flow directly into the water, which is against the law.

But no river shack owners have been fined, in part because making a case requires catching them in the act, said Rheta Geddings, assistant chief of DHEC’s Bureau of Water.

Officials have instead decided to ignore the structures, but that appears to have led to the building of more, and more intricate, shacks, some with gas generators, satellite television dishes and window air conditioners.

“The more they’re are out there, the more legal they seem,” Moore said.

As for Pittard, she says the river shacks have increased to the point where there are literally “subdivisions” of them lining the banks of Lake Marion.

“The Homeowners’ Association was started prior to 1988,” Pittard said. “We started it at that time, because there were a lot of robberies. After two years of being robbed, we decided to start a crime watchers’ group and see what could be done.”

The Association also decided to tackle the problem of river shacks.

“The river shacks were always here,” Pittard said, “but only about half as many as now, and for a long time we tolerated them.”

Then, about a year ago, a river shack was parked across the channel from a neighbor’s house, which Pittard said spoiled the view. That’s when the local residents got together with the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources and various politicians and law enforcement agencies to see what could be done about the structures.

One day Pittard saw a Department of Natural Resources boat, several other boats and a game warden across the channel near the new river shack, she said. The structure, however, was not removed from the lake but relocated further down the bank, Pittard said.

She complained that even though residents cannot by law put a sink for cleaning fish on their docks, the river shacks routinely empty sinks and toilets directly into Lake Marion. In addition, damaged or sinking shacks are just abandoned, Pittard said.

“Santee Cooper can’t burn them or blow them up,” she said, “so they become a hazard to navigation.”

According to Pittard, the shacks are extensively used around Thanksgiving by duck hunters. Many of these hunters are doctors, lawyers and politicians, she said, suggesting that’s probably a major reason why the structures are being protected.

Pittard says she and the other members of the Low Falls Homeowners’ Association are hoping Rep. Umphlett’s legislation will be passed. Umphlett attended one of the Homeowners’ meetings and told the group then that he planned to introduce the legislation.

http://www.thetandd.com/articles/200...4734333479.txt

Now they "line the riverbank"!
    That's bs.
    Now, should they be accountable to the law and pay taxes - YES!
    But this is getting blown way of proportion.
    They should registered and kept up - if not then find and fine the owners, if that doesn't work then go out and removed the ones that are not properly registered, don't have the proper safety equipment etc - the ones that are breaking the current laws and regulations.
    The use of cleaning fish and crapping in the lake against them is funny - fish die all the time and how many of us have "relieved" ourselves in the river/lake?! If people are really worried about what ends up in the lake/river then they should be raising hell at the cities above us - where do you think most of the crap and trash come from?
    I always thought a website was a selling tool, not a product repair manual!

I can't agree with you on this one, NAB. Them things is ugly and an insult to nature.

Lowfalls is really the only area that looks Bad imho.
    And they don't line the river bank.
    Actually there is only one on the river bank that i can think of.
    The rest are in stumphole woods and they are kept up for the most part.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Tuffy - this is one I can agree to disagree on, but
    I don't think we're too far off in our thinking - I don't like the trashy ones anymore than most do - but I do think there is a way to have them and keep most people happy - the owners of them and users of the lake.
    I always thought a website was a selling tool, not a product repair manual!

I don't care for any of them. IMO, they are an eyesore, even the "kept up" ones. Furthermore, Nab, why should the taxpayers have to fund the removal of these things? The owners/builders of these contraptions were serving there own interests when they towed them out, why should everyone else be penalized to remove their garbage? Why should anyone else have to see these things floating around instead of the natural surroundings? They can camp out like everyone else, or save their money and buy a lakefront lot.

I agree DT, But SC has LOADS of problems 10 times more serious.
    I know that there are a few houseboats spread out through SC, but the reason this thing was started was because of lowfalls landing.
    If you couldn't drive down to lowfalls and see them from the road this would never be an issue.
    The houseboats ARE NOT rapidly increasing.
    I can count on one hand how many have been put up in the last 8 years.
    They are nowhere near anyone's house.
    Alot of these claims are false.
    I do agree they need to be adressed, but I think we have alot more important issues to worry over.
    The claim was that All houseboats would have to be removed within 5 years.
    Man I sure wish SC would react in the same way to other issues.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Your right again DT, enjoy and leave only footprints.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

right...right...and right. Notice that they are being attributed to "duck hunters" in the article, though. That makes it a big thing, doesn't it? Does duck hunting need that extra little bit of image-association?

good point DT, however imho, most of the shacks are used my fishermen more than duck hunters.
    I don't care either way, and would love to see lowfalls cleaned up.
    I just think SC has alot bigger fish to fry.

DUCKMAN is offline Moderator - Traveling Duck Assasin

Bog - this is a great example of what happens when "we" let things slide until they infringe on someone or something. "WE" did nothing about it soooooo they are. There are way larger fish in the sea but not to these groups and they waited on "US" and finally said we will wait no longer and they didn't! This will probably pass both chambers by 95% or higher.
    DUCKMAN<br /><br />\"If you love waterfowl - support DU and the Flyway Foundation!!\"

Its amazing how fast something gets done, when "they" see it as a priority isn't it?

Bog - I feel that you defend something that is defendable. I really see no way someone can defend this. They went where they needed to go to correct a wrong regardless of how small it is. I do not have one - have never stayed in one or visited one BUT in the 60's and early 70's, Huck Babcock had one in the big pothole on Line Island - The best hole between 301 and the swamp. The refuge line was through the big pothole and he and friends manned it 24/7 during duck and goose season and they allowed no one near that place. The Refuge had major problems with it so they moved the line to include all of line Island and told him he had to move it and he did. For years he and his friends ONLY enjoyed that bit of heaven on public water! Was that right?
    DUCKMAN<br /><br />\"If you love waterfowl - support DU and the Flyway Foundation!!\"

NO, that wasn't right.
    I agree that they need to be addressed.
    Yes, I do have one with all the bells and whistles.
    Hell, the way I look at it, is, all I have to do is move it every 2 weeks.
    If they ask for it to be totally removed, I will do so.
    It really doesn't matter to me.
    I just feel that a few houseboats, being out there is kind of a minute problem.
    If the houseboats at lowfalls couldn't be seen from the pavement, this issue would never be brought up.
    Yes, I know there are others on other rivers, but lowfalls is the reason this is being addressed.
    Why is this kind of interest not directed in more important directions??

Put numbers on it and register it as a houseboat. That's the legal way.
    easy livin'

I imagine that these "structures" could easily be used to cook methamphetamine. I think it may have been Trad who pointed out the alarming number of folks in the backwoods who are claiming to be sportsman but are actually cooking meth. Could be...
    At least I'm housebroken.

House boats are private structures on public waters, rent a slip at a licensed marina, meet all coast guard standards, register, pay taxes and enjoy! Otherwise, take um out! everybody will be happy!

Had drinks with a Representative last night and he asked me how I felt about the SC version of the "Vietnam Floating Ghettos". This has seriously gotten their attention.

DT, what part of the LPD are you referring to??
    31-28, 12-0, 3-2, 4-2!!!!!!!!!

Thats what I don't understand!!!
    Name ONE representative that spends time on Lake Marion!!!
    Just one!!
    And riding down to lowfalls parking lot does not count.
    Show me one thats SPENDS TIME out there.
    It truly is amazing how fast something gets done When THEY want it done.
    Sure wish they responded that fast when THE PEOPLE wanted something done.