Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Project........

We have a healthy beaver population in the LC now and they took to a 8 year old, 20 acre cutover in the Coosawhatchie. This is a 15", 20 ft pipe with an elbow attached with a coupler. It works like a champ but I have a log under the elbow as you can see in the pic. We will be removing it soon and installing 3 more of this within the braided streams of the cutover. I got probably 150 in the pipe, 30 in the cap on the end, and 50 in the elbow. Had to use about 6 t-posts to hold the pipe down and of course the wire cage around the end of the pipe.
    I am working now to extend the trails throught the swamp to opon up good shooting holes and travel lanes for the mud boat.

FYI...I put that damn thing in solo, from start to finsih and that includes getting everything in the swamp! I wont do that again!!!

\"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

we need to start sharing some work days... took me 12 hours to put up a 10 x 14 foot tractor shed by myself, would've taken 3 hours with two more hands.

are you going to clear areas to plant millet or are they coming in there naturally?

We are going to cut some holes by removing saplings around existing holes but the place is loaded with aquatics...especially smartweed, bur reed, and arrow arum. I plan to hold the water high until late more for access than anything and take it down to sow some jap. in places. I will be an ongoing process!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Pretty cool device Cali. The beavers are becoming more of a problem than the hogs in our area. We are all going to have to get real inventive real quick to stay ahead of them. They are decimating our oaks...

SCTIMBER Coots

Need to get to building some levelers myself

Beavers are the same way here JAB, was burning a pine plantation on the edge of a swamp today on the farm and noticed the bastards ain't far from beginning to knaw on the pines, they've done killed everything else.

I figured I would go ahead and try to stay ahead of them in the swamp. If it gets out of control, we will cut the damn timber...its about 150 ac of fine bottomland but I'll be damned if ge're gonna give it to em!

Amen.

and you know your old man is itching to get a buncher in there....

that spot looks pretty familiar. Is the bow of the boat facing a bow stand I hunted out of last year? The spot where all the summer ducks piled in on me.

I am seeing more beaver damage now in the woods than ever before.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Good eye!!!

that is a pretty a spot as you will find anywhere to sit in a bow stand.

behind that blowdown on the left there was a decent amount of flooded grass that was full of summer ducks.

I'll have to check out that set up. We have several spots here that it might do well in.

I'm sure you will get to check it out one of these days...management ride I see in the near future!

looking forward to it....

UMMMMM!......Beaver!
    Originally posted by scfisherman143: "we mostly have woodies and teal but today we had workable big ducks allot of them ringnecks buffleheads redheads teal woodies it was amazing\"<br /><br />Another brilliant future duck hunter in the making

Calibogue, a picture is worth a thousand words, you have a beautiful spot and good intentions I see. After discussing with other people over the weekend what your pipe is "doing" in the pic. We seem to not be able to agree, so would you please explain your set up and it's purpose?

Sure thing.........The side the boat is on is the pond side and the wire cage you see surrounds approx 500 2 inch holes. So, the water is able to travel through the holes quite silently, through the pipe and dam. The elbow on the back of the pipe is for water regulation purposes. If I was not interested in water control and just wanted to buck the beaver dam, I would leave it off and let the water flow.

I will take so close up pictures this week and post them when I can...You will understand better with the pics.

The setup fools the beavers as they dont understand where the water is coming from...

SCTIMBER Coots

Clemson Beaver Pond Leveler with elbow for water level control

I hope i'm wrong,but i think they will figure it out and build a small "C" shaped dam around you intake pipe.

Catdaddy, they wont figure it out! The water enters the many holes silently and puts the shit on em! If you look close, you cant even see any water movement going into the holes.

The cap on the end of the intake is critical and as you can see, the water can be manipulated quite effectively. If necessary, you can add an extension to the elbow for more height...assuming the dam is high enough to hold it.

sweet spot, Cali. Say hi to bogue for me...

where is that pic of the angled fence people had good success with around a leveler? maybe you could even use some of the fallen timber in the same design to confuse them even more?

as for the bow stand, glad you saw some ducks, Cut'Em, cuz they dont have many deer.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Thanks for the pics CB, I am in a similar situation, where we have 10 acres with multiple dams, we are going to install a leveler this month and see how the millet works out. I think we are going to be doing some bulldozing to make good flat drainable land. We did get lucky, I think, there is an old pond dam that goes halfway across the wetland that we will use to install the pipe and pour concrete over top of it. I will load up pics this afternoon for you guys, maybe I can pick up on some pointers, since it will be my first attempt at it.