Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohios best kept Secret

Default Ohios best kept Secret

As a lot of you know Ohio is known for big bucks and has several in the top ten.

What most of you dont know is Ohio has an early Muzzleloader Season that is just before the rut. You are allowed now to take both buck and doe, and you can join in the fun with just the purchase of a Hunting license be it resident or non-resident and an either sex tag. That way you can bag a doe or a buck. You can buy an additional antlerless tag if you feel confident.

The hunt takes place in 3 areas Shawnee State Forest, Salt Fork and Wildcat Hollow. Shawnee alone is 60,000 acres of ROUGH A$$ Terrain, but hidden deep in its hollows are some huge bucks if you can get to them. It is not a hunt for the timid or weak. You need to be in shape to get back in there. You may have to drag a deer a mile or more, depending how deep you go, and they do not allow ATVs. You can hunt the edges to have success, but going deep as always provides the greatest payoff. This area is in the south central part of the state above Portsmouth.

Salt Fork in the southeast part of the state which has Ohios highest concentration of deer, but it also has more hunters. And it has some dandies, success is greater and the terrain is more forgiving.

Both Salt Fork and Shawnee rent cabins through the State Park that hold at least room for at least 6. So you can get a group do this hunt on the cheap in comfortable conditions. The cabins have full kitchens and a shower and bath, along with either a screened in porch or hot tub. There is also camping areas with showers on both areas and Wildcat hollow is close enough to camping areas or may allow primitive camping on the grounds. Shawnee allows camping throughout the forest along the road on pulloffs. If you are fine at roughing it, or have a nice camper this is as cheap an out of state hunt as you can get.

The real nice thing is that it goes on before the rut, bucks are moving in pre rut and it is well before gun season so plenty of trophies are still on all four feet. It is also not well attended and is not overly crowded. The leaves are mostly down and and you are allowed modern muzzleloaders with scopes so you can reach out and touch those big ones with a sabot.

Some costs...... A non-resident license is $125.00 and the Deer Permit for Non-Resident either sex is only $24.00 and the non-resident antlerless is $14.00. Cabins are run at $99.00 a night if you stay for more than 3 days, ask for the hunters special. Camping on the campgrounds/ w showers and hookups is $22.oo and in the State Forest it is free.

You can get maps mailed to you of the areas from the ODNR or find them online, although the mailed maps are better. I would also get geological maps of the corresponding areas to find water, funnel points and access routes. With a little planning you can have some real fun, real cheap. Make sure you have a compass or gps as some of these areas are rugged and dense.

If you guys have questions let me know.

The secret is out!

If it is so great, why are all of ya'll wearing the roads out moving down here?

Trust me, I wish you were right, and I am wrong.

www.gobacktoohio.org
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Can I use your address for a license?
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Default Racks

I use to chase racks like I chased women. Ohio has some good things like walleye fishing and big bucks. And it has some bad things like Cleveland LOL.

Dont really enjoy deer hunting like I use to, but I never miss this hunt.

I've got a question...

Have you ever puffed on a penis in a deer stand?
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Default hmmmmm

Not sure PBIZ why dont you tell me what its like?

Do you work for Ohio Game & Fish or wildlife division? tourism ? what? spill it jonesy.

Default None of the above Dook

None of the above Dook, retired military working on a second pension.

Quote Originally Posted by jones View Post
    I use to chase racks like I chased women. Ohio has some good things like walleye fishing and big bucks. And it has some bad things like everything NW of WV.

Dont really enjoy deer hunting like I use to, but I never miss this hunt.
    Fixed it for ya.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Quote Originally Posted by jones View Post
    Not sure PBIZ why dont you tell me what its like?
    If you give me a hummer in a deer stand, I would probably fill out a comment card..

while ohio has to be the most god forsaken piece of dirt in the nation, i will say that it has big deer.

Only good thing to ever come out of Ohio is Ryan Brewer...

Default Fixated

Now Pwhiz not sure on your fixation of guys "coming" from Ohio and this whole penis envy thing.... I dont wanna believe all the PMs Im getting about you teaching Linda Lovelace everything she learned....... but your really starting to creep me out.

no explination needed
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quit lying.. Nobody is PMing your ass

Default OMG

Oh Pwiz you are the smart one

This is just kweer.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

i am now dumber for reading this
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Default The Dude Abides

Me to and I started this thread.

On a somewhat serious note if anyone would be interested in hunting in this hunt or any other type of hunting or fishing in Ohio, Indiana, or Kentucky I would be glad to see if I could give some input, or find out some answers for you.