Thread: Would you support...

Would you support opening our National Wildlife Refuges to hunting for a certain percentage of the season? There is a movement across the country that is pushing for this. Ducks are stacking up and refuge hopping according to many hunters who want to see the ducks pushed out of the sanctuaries at least part of the season.

Which part of Santee Refuge, Cape Romain, Savannah, or Carolina Sandhills would you like to see opened to waterfowl hunting and for how many days a week??

I do not see that happening. Around Santee, too many people have come to accept the refuge as home to the ducks. A sanctuary. I would presume the same along the coast.
    And then don't forget the left wing taxpayers who "support" those refuges. They would cry and wail if we got to go hunting in a refuge. This would pit the hunters and anti's against each other in a big way.
    Such a move to hunt on a refuge would probably cause a lot of other conservationists to side with the antis even if they realize hunting is a part of conservation.

I dunno. It seems to be happening across the country and hunting of one type or another is already occuring on most of the Refuges in SC. The Refuge System itself is actually promoting the opening of waterfowl hunting in several cases like the one below in Kalifornia. If Kalifornians do it, it could surely happen in SC for better or for worse...

Help decide hunting rules at wildlife refuge

By FROM STAFF REPORTS

FREMONT -- The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is asking for public comment on a proposal to open thousands of acres of former salt ponds in the Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge to part-time waterfowl hunting.
    Hunting is allowed on 7,663 acres of the refuge, including salt ponds between Mowry Slough and Coyote Creek, south of Fremont and Newark.

The proposed amendment to the Refuge Hunting Plan would allow hunting on 2,622 acres west of Alviso, part of 5,500 acres of former commercial salt ponds that were bought from Cargill Salt and added to the refuge in 2003.

Hunting would be allowed three days a week in the new areas. It is allowed seven days a week in the other areas. A third of the refuge would be open to hunting under the new plan, with the rest, 19,715 acres, used as a wildlife sanctuary.

Three documents are available for the public to review -- the amendment, a draft environmental assessment and a "compatibility determination."

The documents can be viewed on the refuge's Web site at http://desfbay.fws.gov, or during business hours at the refuge's headquarters, 1 Marshlands Road, Fremont, and the Environmental Education Center, 1751 Grand Blvd., Alviso. A copy also may be obtained on CD-ROM.

Written comments are invited through Dec. 3. They may be mailed to the Refuge Manager, Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge, P.O. Box 524, Newark 94560; faxed to (510) 792-5828; or e-mailed to sfbaynwrc@r1fws.gov .

For more information, call Refuge Manager Clyde Morris at (510) 792-0222.

DUCKMAN is offline Moderator - Traveling Duck Assasin

Waterfowl hunting is allowed on all or part of 34% of the National Refuges now. Some can never be hunted due to prior agreements to get the land in the Refuge System. There are some studies that have documented this behavior by waterfowl. Many feel this has been brought about by pressure. Several refuges in Arkansas, Missouri and Louisianna were noted to also loose their birds at dusk dark each day BUT they were back before daybreak! Again pressure was thought to be the blame. Many feel that this would help hunting others ask the question "do you want to kill them all?"
    DUCKMAN<br /><br />\"If you love waterfowl - support DU and the Flyway Foundation!!\"

I have somewhat mixed emotions with regard to this. In some of the aforementioned areas, I feel that some hunting could at least deter some birds from "living" on refuges; however, shouldn't there be someplaces available for the ducks to rest? Especially in places like SC where pressure is relentless and unchecked. I also agree with Duckman "Do we need to kill them all?"

My read on it is that this would exacerbate the problem rather than solve it. The problem is ducks not being killed because they seek refuge from constant pounding.

I can certainly see the both sides of this argument but look at the trends. The trend in the last 30 years has NOT been to close refuges to waterfowl hunting, nor has it been to add a significant amount of non-huntable refuges. The trend has been increasing hunter pressure on a local scale and by traveling guns, increasing harvest rates in northern states, and proliferation of information through magazines and the internet.

Of course nothing can be done about information transmission but something can be done about pressure on a continental or at least a national basis. It just requires more vision than the USFWS appears to have and would encounter more contention than the USFWS has been willing to address.

The USFWS needs to suck it up, step up to the plate, and put forth some solutions to pressure on a large scale…not kill ducks at their last haven.

Ridiculous.
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

Would not like to see any opened up - ducks need a safe haven - all the ducks don't go to the refuges anyway - sounds like some are not wanting to get out and scout hard - want to take the easy way out.
    Refuges help in the long run - this is just another example of the shortsightedness of some of today's hunters.
    JABIII - are you for or against?
    I always thought a website was a selling tool, not a product repair manual!

maybe opening refuges in NORTHERN states wouldpressure the birds to fly further south, thus helping our wintering population??? ...opening reguges here might spread out da rubberheads

Dont think it will ever happen here....BUT it would be a manic-depressive situation for hunters.
    i dont support it.

The Bush Administration plans to open new hunting and fishing programs on 10 national wildlife refuges and wetland management districts in Alabama, Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana, North Dakota, South Carolina and South Dakota as part of its annual Refuge-Specific Hunting and Sport Fishing Regulations. With the changes in this proposed rule, there will be 325 public hunting programs and 283 public fishing programs on national wildlife refuges.

"With this proposal, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service will have launched over 60 new hunting and fishing programs on national wildlife refuges since 2001, enhancing access and opportunity for millions of Americans to enjoy their favorite outdoor traditions,” said Service Director
    Steve Williams.

"By providing greater recreational access through over 60 new hunting and fishing programs on national wildlife refuges, the President is expanding the number of citizen stewards--hikers, anglers, bird-watchers and hunters--
    who will visit, enjoy, and help care for these vibrant public resources," said James L. Connaughton, Chairman, White House Council on Environmental Quality.

The Service is proposing to add the following refuges and wetland management districts (WMD) to the agency’s list of units open for hunting and/or fishing: Waccamaw National Wildlife Refuge (NWR) in South Carolina; Mountain Longleaf NWR in Alabama; Red River NWR in Louisiana; Cypress Creek NWR in Illinois; Huron, Lake Andes, Madison, Sand Lake, Waubay WMDs in South Dakota; and Devils Lake WMD in North Dakota.

In addition, the Service is also proposing to expand recreational hunting and fishing opportunities on seven refuges in Nebraska, Texas, Tennessee, Indiana, Louisiana, Georgia, and South Carolina.

Proposed Expanded Programs at Refuges Already Open to Hunting and Fishing:

Migratory Birds: Crescent Lake NWR, Nebraska; Cross Creeks and Tennessee NWRs, Tennessee; Big Oaks NWR, Indiana; Savannah NWR, Georgia and
    South Carolina;

In 2003, there were 2.2 million hunting visits to national wildlife refuges and 6.6 million fishing visits. By law, hunting and fishing are two of the six priority wildlife-dependent recreational uses on national wildlife refuges, and individual refuges are encouraged to provide opportunities to hunt and fish whenever they are compatible with the refuge’s conservation goals. The Service annually reviews hunting and fishing programs on national wildlife refuges to determine whether to add, modify or remove them.

FISH AND WILDLIFE SERVICE MARKS CENTENNIAL BY ADDING SEVEN NEW HUNTING AND FISHING PROGRAMS ON NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGES

News Releases Home Page

Search the News Releases
    U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service Home

Contacts
    Steve Farrell 703-358-2029

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service proposed opening new hunting and fishing programs on seven national wildlife refuges in Louisiana, Minnesota, Iowa, Mississippi, Nebraska, Oregon and Virginia as part of its annual Refuge-Specific Hunting and Sport Fishing Regulations. The Service also proposed increased opportunities for hunting and fishing at three refuges. With the changes in this proposed rule there will be 315 public hunting programs and 274 public fishing programs on national wildlife refuges.

"Each year, millions of hunters and anglers enjoy their favorite pastime on national wildlife refuges and this year the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is proposing to expand these opportunities," said Service Director Steve Williams. "Since 1903, America’s national wildlife refuges have been special places for people to hunt and fish, watch and photograph wildlife, or simply enjoy the great outdoors. I am committed to providing opportunities for these activities wherever they are compatible with the refuge system’s wildlife conservation mission."

The Service is adding the following refuges to the list of units open for hunting or fishing: Grand Cote National Wildlife Refuge (NWR) in Louisiana; Northern Tallgrass Prairie NWR in Minnesota and Iowa; Boyer Chute and North Platte refuges in Nebraska; Coldwater NWR in Mississippi; Bandon Marsh NWR in Oregon; and Rappahannock River Valley NWR in Virginia.

In addition, the Service proposed increased recreational hunting and fishing opportunities on three refuges in Arkansas, Iowa, and Louisiana, and other administrative changes to the general regulations governing hunting and fishing on refuges.

The proposed rule announcing the new programs, modifications and administrative changes was published in the Federal Register on August 14, 2003. The public comment period closes September 15, 2003.

The Service proposes the following new or modified recreational hunting and fishing programs:

Migratory game bird hunting on four refuges, including:

Grand Cote National Wildlife Refuge, Louisiana

Northern Tallgrass Prairie National Wildlife Refuge, Minnesota and Iowa

Boyer Chute National Wildlife Refuge, Nebraska

Wapanocca National Wildlife Refuge, Arkansas

Upland game hunting on five refuges, including:

Desoto National Wildlife Refuge, Iowa

Big Branch Marsh National Wildlife Refuge, Louisiana

North Platte National Wildlife Refuge, Nebraska

Big game hunting on five refuges, including:

Boyer Chute National Wildlife Refuge, Nebraska

Wapanocca National Wildlife Refuge, Arkansas

North Platte National Wildlife Refuge, Nebraska

Sport fishing on three refuges, including:

Coldwater National Wildlife Refuge, Mississippi

Bandon Marsh National Wildlife Refuge, Oregon

Rappahannock River Valley National Wildlife Refuge, Virginia

In 2002, there were two million hunting visits to national wildlife refuges and six million fishing visits. By law, hunting and fishing are two of the six priority wildlife-dependent recreational uses on national wildlife refuges, and individual refuges are encouraged to provide opportunities to hunt and fish whenever they are compatible with the refuge’s conservation goals. The Service annually reviews hunting and fishing programs on national wildlife refuges to determine whether to add, modify or remove them.

The National Wildlife Refuge System is celebrating its centennial anniversary during 2003. President Theodore Roosevelt established the first national wildlife refuge in 1903 when he ordered Pelican Island, a small shell- and mangrove-covered island in Florida’s Indian River, to be protected forever as a "preserve and breeding ground for native birds." A century later, the refuge system has grown to nearly 100 million acres and includes 542 refuges –– at least one in every state –– and more than 3,000 waterfowl production areas.

National wildlife refuges provide unparalleled outdoor activities, including fishing, hunting, environmental education and interpretation, wildlife observation and photography. Many refuges also offer opportunities for nature hikes, birding tours, and other activities. There is at least one national wildlife refuge within an hour’s drive of most major cities.

The full text of the Refuge-Specific Hunting and Sport Fishing Regulations can be found on the Internet by visiting http://refuges.fws.gov and clicking on the link to "Policies and Budget."

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is the principal Federal agency responsible for conserving, protecting and enhancing fish, wildlife and plants and their habitats for the continuing benefit of the American people. The Service manages the nearly 100-million-acre National Wildlife Refuge System which encompasses 542 national wildlife refuges, thousands of small wetlands and other special management areas. It also operates 69 national fish hatcheries, 64 fishery resource offices and 78 ecological services field stations. The agency enforces Federal wildlife laws, administers the Endangered Species Act, manages migratory bird populations, restores nationally significant fisheries, conserves and restores wildlife habitat such as wetlands, and helps foreign governments with their conservation efforts. It also oversees the Federal Aid program that distributes hundreds of millions of dollars in excise taxes on fishing and hunting equipment to state fish and wildlife agencies.

-FWS-

I know some folks in Savannah that are going be MIGHTY pleased 'bout this...

Very well said Candor. I absolutly do not agree. We have to a system in place for the ducks to rest and be free from hunting pressure or we will never see an improvment. I can see where it would help the hunter instantly, but would be disasterous for the future of waterfowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

yes and no i want my cake and eat it too. there are some refuges maybe they should open up but some refuges dont even need to be accessed except at night for dumping food by the truck loads if i could pick and choose i'm all for it !!!!!!!!!!
    I would say no area should be hunted on Santee or the Sandhills. I vote we buy cutto and manage it like it needs to be planted and flooded
    Plant it they will come.

A great idea, Duckboy. Identify the refuges that contribute to shortstopping, and open them to hunting
    only after the date that the ducks historically would have moved on.

Can't see any good coming from opening any around here, though.