Thread: Sweatin' out the cold weather forecast!

Anybody else have corn up at the four or five leaf stage?

Where is global warming when I need it most?!
    That the Tiger's roar may echo.....

just curious why you have already planted corn if youre planting in a bottomland, duckpond kind of habitat.

is this dovefield corn?
    if the worst does happen you should have plenty of time to replant.
    hope its a little warmer your way.
    im hopin it knocks the bugs back my way.

I'm more concerned about the lack of rain.

The corn I referenced is upland in our dove field. It should recover if there's only a light frost. But I'm not sure about things if it really gets down to 27 degrees Saturday night.

The impoundment corn is just emerging.

Took a chance in March trying to beat the bugs. The weather was pretty and we don't get many frosts in the Pee Dee after the first week of April.

All of our corn is just emerging, it is DRYYYY.

we have not planted yet. no reason to. waiting for some rain. duck ponds and dove fields are ready, though.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

A buddy of mine called an asked me to go by Sam's and get 300,000 solo cups to cover his already planted tobacco. Looking to loose 50 acres +/-. He's screwed!!!!!!!!!!
    31-28, 12-0, 3-2, 4-2!!!!!!!!!

After looking at my yard this morning, I think I'll be replanting.

As much as I tried, Me too CD
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I have three azeleas that were absolutely covered in blooms in buds yesterday and they look boiled right now...got my new growth on my muscadines as well. Time will tell what comes back. SW said earlier that it was way too risky to plant anything this early and I heeded it since he's the one in the know...thanks SW, can I go plant my dove field corn now [img]graemlins/thumb2.gif[/img]

The official low was 26 degrees last night. It appears that our impoundment corn will survive. The upland corn, which was planted two weeks earlier, is ruined and will have to be replanted. There looks to be significant damage to farm fields that were planted the first and second weeks of March.

im not the one in the know.
    i said it would frost before april 1.
    i was rong.

Talked to my dad earlier and he had about 12 acres get freezer burned.
    You can't argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat your ass.

we have about 70 acres in the ground. One field of about 10 acres is completely gone and the rest is about 25% gone. We really need some rain for the rest if we decide to leave it. We are going on 5 weeks without a drop of rain at the house!!!!
    **2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion**

Genesis 27:3

Buddy figured he lost around $20,000 of baccer over the weekend. He'll remember this Easter weeknd for a while.
    31-28, 12-0, 3-2, 4-2!!!!!!!!!

We lost about 800 acres.. Froze to nothing!!!
    Looks like the deer will be able to hide in the fields for a while this season.
    ----------------------------------<br />I\'m getting worser!!!

We lost two out of every five sprouts. Saturday mornin we will be plowing it up and starting again.
    Kill em all and let the Game Warden sort em out.<br /><br />\"she was like- shut the F up go back to throwin that dick\"<br /><br />QDMA= Quantity of Deer Murdered Annually

Originally posted by Aricks:
    Buddy figured he lost around $20,000 of baccer over the weekend. He'll remember this Easter weeknd for a while.
    He left his beds uncovered or did he buy? If he still has some in the beds he is fine. Why did he plant so early? Most fields of the farmers left who still plant tobacco are just getting hilled up.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Today I drove from Cola thru Sumter, Mt. Zion, Cades, Stuckey, and finally to Yauhannah(sp). Almost every single field I saw was toast. I noticed several fields were already replanted on top of the dead corn.

I talked to the farmer on the plantation I was working on and he said the insurance folks told him to wait 4-5 days before replanting and declaring a loss. Seems they think some of his corn will make it.

Loooooord the turkeys that were out in all those fields. I stopped counting at 75 on the way back this afternoon.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!