Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ants in dove field?

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I know this might sound like I'm getting shitty, but I'm not. I've never been a fan of throwing doves in a plastic bag. Well, not in the first season. I'd think a grocery (plastic) bag would be fine if it's not tied up to tight. I would think in 90 degree heat, doves in a plastic sealed bag would lead to the meat spoiling. Maybe it's just me. I clean my birds fairly quick then to plastic, and then to a cooler.

The ant question. Well, I just move over a little.

Yeah you cant tie the bag up. You have to keep them where they can keep air flow on them. My dove stool has a built in drink cooler and I always try to keep water and drinks in it, to help with the temp on birds.

Pro tip: Shoot well and get your limit quick and get out the field fast so they dont spoil.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I know this might sound like I'm getting shitty, but I'm not. I've never been a fan of throwing doves in a plastic bag. Well, not in the first season. I'd think a grocery (plastic) bag would be fine if it's not tied up to tight. I would think in 90 degree heat, doves in a plastic sealed bag would lead to the meat spoiling. Maybe it's just me. I clean my birds fairly quick then to plastic, and then to a cooler.

The ant question. Well, I just move over a little.
    Dang Highstrung, you sound like your being kinda shitty. Get up on the wrong side of the bed or something? Man you need to calm down, this ain't nothing to get pissy about. You do it your way, I'll do it mine. No harm no foul. Cool down dude.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I gots one of them nice dove stools with the built in soft cooler under the seat. When I leave the house, I put two big frozen bottles of water in there. By the time I get to the field, the water bottles have melted enough to drink, and pre-cooled the cooler. THEN, I throw in three or so of the freezer gel bags (frozen, or as close as they can be to frozen) - this makes it nice and chilly in there. As I shoot, the birds go straight in the cooler. No bag. Chills em right down. No ants. Screw ants. I move if I have to.

I learned a long while back about leaving birds on the ground. Fire ants will about haul 'em off.

Glenn, I'm still in that club down near Darlington if you wanna drive down for the opener.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    Dang Highstrung, you sound like your being kinda shitty. Get up on the wrong side of the bed or something? Man you need to calm down, this ain't nothing to get pissy about. You do it your way, I'll do it mine. No harm no foul. Cool down dude.
    hahahaha

Tin fo SR. I'll let you know!

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    one thing you could try (prob most of yall would never think of this) is to take a can of ant spray and spray it where you sit. what this does is kills the ants that are there and dead ants will not bite as much as live ants.
    Is dove hunting important in your life?