Thread: Offshore Wind Farm

Posted on Tue, May. 01, 2007

Government wants to hear from public on ocean energy

The Associated Press

CHARLESTON, S.C. --The government wants to know what people think about generating energy from wind, currents and waves off the South Carolina coast.

The idea is to harvest energy from wind and water turbines and send the power back to shore through cables.

The greatest potential for wind energy is beyond three miles off the coast, outside state territorial waters, said John Clark, a spokesman for the state Energy Office.

While some people may not like to see a field of spinning wind turbines offshore, in Europe, such turbines are tourist attractions, Clark said.

Wave energy converters generate power by capturing the constant up-and-down motion of waves. Moored to the sea floor, the converters bob at the surface, resembling a small fleet of fishing boats.

Another way to generate power is with other turbines located beneath the surface, where steady currents spin propellers.

The U.S. Department of Interior Minerals Management Service is holding a public hearing Thursday to hear what people think of its Outer Continental Shelf alternative energy development program.

The program will allow companies interested in developing ocean energy learn how the government will regulate the budding industry by issuing leases and easements.

Offshore wind farms are also beautiful and have little environmental impact, said Nicholas Rigas, director of the South Carolina Institute for Energy Studies at Clemson University.

"It beats a coal plant in my mind," he said. "It's definitely a technology that's coming on strong. I think there is potential, but it has to be cost-competitive."

While the energy is free, getting it to customers is the challenge.

"It's very expensive," said Laura Varn, a spokeswoman for Santee Cooper.

"That's something that we're going to keep up with, but from an economic standpoint, it really doesn't make sense to us," added Robin Montgomery, of South Carolina Electric & Gas Co.

Information from: The Post and Courier, http://www.charleston.net

We have been building wind farms all over the country for the last 5 years. The advancements in the technology are impressive.

I believ that Southern Company and another company have made strides into putting a farm off the coast of Savannah.

I have sat on the trading floor of energy companies and watched the power generation from wind farms though and it has a lot of dramatic peaks and valleys and causes a tremendous amount of wear on the fuel fired units that have to balance the wind swings.
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.