Thread: Crappie Fishing

Default Crappie Fishing

Been out a few times trying to target crappie. I do not have a depth finder on my boat. I sank a Christmas tree in water with a depth of at least 6' plus (not sure on exact depth without depth finder). I have been working banks like I am fishing for bream, and in the middle of small channels off this body of water. My question is, am I wasting time without a depth finder? I have always heard crappie hang in drop offs in various depths until they spawn in the spring. Do they hang out around sunken trees at all, as I have tried places like this with no luck? Thanks

You need to be fishing in 15' to 25' of water. A depth finder is essential unless you have brush out and know the specific depth. The water is still too cold to be working the banks. Hit the big channels right now.
    "...But this is football. This ain't tennis..." --CJ Spiller; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxkNT9IxEu8

Just depends where your fishing depth finder is always a plus. Seems like theyre holding on brush in about 20ft on your bigger lakes. Caught a stringer full in about 6ft the other day in a smaller lake.

Well I have been fishing since 9ish this morning without a single bite. I have tried all I can think of with no luck. It seems I need a depth finder. I can't complain though, it is much better than sitting in the office all day. Thanks for the replies/recommendations fellas.

You don't neccesarily have to have a depth finder to catchem right now (although it would be helpful) but they're not gonna be on the banks this early. You need to be dragging jigs out deeper (12-25ft). Go over to crappie.com and find the south carolina forum. There's plenty of people on that site that would be glad to help you, even with specific information about certain lakes. They don't frown on cyberscouters like us duck hunters do....
    Last edited by Duke; 02-08-2013 at 02:54 PM.

I have a mud motor, no reverse, no depth finder, no rod holders, and no long jigging poles. You can catch crappie without all this through out the year. I do it every year.

Water temp and depth are key obviously but i have fished Murray and a few other lakes since I was young and can usually tell you where the fish are at any given time of the year.

Just starting out I'd say get you a depth finder first. Patrol channels in twenty to thirty feet of water and lOok for fish staging in the ten to twenty foot range. Drop a jig or shiner and try it

Edit**. I use two to four pound test and 1/32 or 1/64 heads. Follow the water clarity rule: dark water dark bait or clear water lighter bait.
    Last edited by beanhunter; 02-08-2013 at 02:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com