try to catch......
    1) False Albacore
    2) Jack's
    3) Spades
    4) Black Sea Bass

on my 7 weight?

Absolutely.

Gopher it.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Targeting jacks, or even a big spadefish with a 7wt will likely leave you with a broken rod.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

i figure if i let the fish run, i can chase it. ive got a little over 200yds of backing on my reel, which is a large arbor 7-9 wt. i also believe, in theory, that i could put the rod tip down and tighten the drag and let the reel do a lot of the work to wear the fish out. i have an 8 wt that i use for reds, but i just wanna little bit more fun OTF.

how bout my 5 wt for spanish? same theory.

I have thought about a fly for spades, but havent done it. It'll be dicey for sure, and you can tell when the rod has too much. Agreed, use your drag and chase if you arent anchored.

I dont know what you will be pitching at the spanish with a 5wt, but the popper I usually use gets thrown by a 7 wt. Talk about aerobatics... I would rather catch 3 spanish like that, than a limit on planers.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

The jacks and spades will likely run down versus out which will make it difficult to tire them. That said, with the proper tippett you will not break a rod and should have some fun.

The 5wt should be fine for spanish, they are fast, won't run to the bottom and don't have much stamina.

On the BSB...the notion never occured to me. They are bottom fish...how would you do it?

3-5lb albies or jacks ok with 7 wt. Hook a 15lbr., and you'll wish for a bit more stick.

Quote Originally Posted by fowlshot View Post
    try to catch......
    1) False Albacore
    2) Jack's
    3) Spades
    4) Black Sea Bass

on my 7 weight?

how would you bottom fish with a fly? wouldnt that kind defeat the purpose of flyfishing?
    "Blessed is the man... who makes one word grow where two grew before" - Havilah Babcock

You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” - Robert Ruark

"Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing " -Benjamin Franklin

Spades will dart straight for the bottom and personally I would want more rod. The problem with jacks is that you probably won't be able to pull your fly if a big fish gets after it. I can throw a gummy minnow easily with a 6wt for spanish. And BSB can be caught well within the harbor. I can only assume he'll be fishing the community sea bass structure. If he is targeting them on reefs, it sort of defeats the purpose.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Sandwich baggie jellyfish fly for spades

Hook: Mustad 34011 size two up to 1/0
    round wire to weight the hook
    1 strand of pearl flashabou
    1 strand of opal mirage flashabou
    1 pack medium ice chenille in brown or root beer
    1 pack medium chenille in gold
    1 heavy duty baggie

Wrap hook shank...1/4 inch from eye to 1/4 inch before hook bend with round wire
    Put the 2 strands of flashabou together, fold and cut, fold around the thread and wrap to top of hook shank behind round wire.
    Next strip 1/4 inch off both chenilles, twist together, tie in where the flashabou is tied in and wrap thread to eye of hook.
    Wrap chenilles together around hook, wrapping forward all the way to the eye of the hook and tie down with the thread and whip finish...cut thread.
    Take baggie at the point and fold so the side edge and bottom edge meet and cut at 90 degrees 1/4 inch longer than hook...measure and cut so baggie with a slight outward curve so it is same length as hook.
    next cut the point of the baggie less than 1/16 th of inch and slid over eye of hook Reattach thread and tie the baggie down with thread.
    Coat thread with flex cement or head cement. You're done!
    Last edited by boondoggle; 07-25-2011 at 01:34 PM. Reason: your does not equal you're
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

I prefer silversides or epoxy minnows for spanish as they last longer than a gummi minnow. Doesn't really matter as they all get mangled sooner or later.

I use an 8 or 9 wt most often since there is always one of each stowed in the console.
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

Spanish are a hoot on top water.

Sit at the mouth of the jetties while the finger mullet are hauling ass in or out of the big water, wait for a spanish to bust through them, and cast to the boil. A couple of strips and "BAM". I kept losing fish, and my mylar, and added a stinger hook. Hook ups increased substantially.

I like that jellyfish fly....I would like to start tying my own, but I certainly dont need to break open another hobby/time devourer...

I watched a guy catching spades on the fly using a small piece of yellow sponge. he would soak it in his bucket that had jellyballs in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edisto View Post
    We have a plan in place for Armageddon . That is part of the Premium Membership.

Not too sure about the BSB, kinda just something different really........my friend caught some on a sinking line at the jetties.......and ill tie up a jelly fly. pretty sure i have all the materials.