Thread: Sorghum?

Got a small plot of grain sorghum ready for the second dove season. This plot is clean as a whistle. Should I bushog the sorghum or strip it and let the birds light on the standing plants as well. Also, should I leave the strip nearest the windrow for the quail? Will they use it? I have a covey in that area. Thanks.

i wouldn't touch it. they get plenty of seed. i like to run my dog thru it just to knock some seed over, but a strong wind and/or rain will drop enough seed for you. if you bushhog it, it will rot or try to germinate.

invite me... [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

2th, thanks for the insight. I've never planted the sorghum before. And, if we have enough birds to make it interesting, I'd be glad to have you out.

Slaya,

I agree with 2thDoc. Leave the sorghum standing and you may get second and third season hunts from the plot. We used to bushhog nearly all of our sunflowers for the first season, but found this to be unnecessary and a mistake.

BTW - We've seen some migratory dove flocks move in over the last 10 days and this will increase as the weather gets cooler.
    That the Tiger's roar may echo.....